Reid Harrier to buy or not?

HLC

Re: Reid Harrier to buy or not?

Postby HLC » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:16 pm

waramatt wrote:HLC - I use an SE Draft Lite as a commuter. The only change I've made is to put 700x35 tyres on it so I can easily go single track, grass reserves etc more easily. Am I taking my life in my hands with cheap parts? After several thousand trouble-free kilometers, I doubt it.
My GF rides a SE draft lite. I never said they were bad, otherwise she wouldn't ride it... I have over time upgraded some parts though ha ha, pretty much everything except frame, headset and saddle lol

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:37 am

I was orginally going to buy a se lite for the special deal of $175 from goldcross cycles up in strathpine. but was turned off after being told about the need to replace most parts to get it as reliable as possible. I totally gave up that idea and went for another frame and quality parts. I weigh a good 95kgs and don't wanna be riding alone an brake 3 spokes or snap the crank.

sonic

Postby sonic » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:46 pm

They're cheap and cheerful. Plenty of 'em around Melbourne, I'd go for it.

sonic

Postby sonic » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 am

How's my luck!!?? I was with my 9 year old son at the chemist the other week when he notices a competition to win a bike. He fills out the application 'How has Nurofen helped your day?' with the response 'it helped me go to school when I had a test'. So I think nothing of it till the lady friend gets a call saying he's won a bike!! You beauty!! Shuffle on down there to collect his (my) Reid Griffon with smiles all round. Assembled it easy enough, seems well constructed - but a bit too big for him, but it goes ok. 5 bikes in the shed though, someone has to go?!!

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:51 pm

finally goin to bite the bullet and get a pub runner during the week, either a reid or a haro, the haro has a bmx size post of 25.4mm does anybody know what size post the reid harrier has ?????

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:39 pm

look on bike exchange in fixies with the price max at $500, and you will find a lot better than those 2 pieces of low end crap. SE lagers can be had for $499.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:11 pm

I'm not sure i get what you mean by 'low end crap', i have Tektro brakes and Lasco cranks on my favourite singlespeed and they're just fine and dandy. The wheels on the SE look a little better but not much, Promax brakes definitely aren't as good as Tektro IME, and while the frame and forks look identical the Reid is cromo but the SE is apparently hi ten.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:those 2 pieces of low end crap.
And this statement is based on...?

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:37 pm

yeah not expecting much for around $350, both reid and my lbs are close to home so was happy just to grab anything for a pubrunner thrasher. Like the haro from the lbs but was wondering what size seatpost the reid has???

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:52 am

ldrcycles wrote:I'm not sure i get what you mean by 'low end crap', i have Tektro brakes and Lasco cranks on my favourite singlespeed and they're just fine and dandy. The wheels on the SE look a little better but not much, Promax brakes definitely aren't as good as Tektro IME, and while the frame and forks look identical the Reid is cromo but the SE is apparently hi ten.
Refering to the frames if you ever get a close look at them, Heavy old PG cromo vs Butted on the SE(lager is cro mo Draft Hiten), and the welds on the reids I've seen are pretty damn industrial. OG post had a $500 price max which means he could do way better for his money. And the Haros look very k marty(flimsy) for a bike that supposed to be for trickin.
Just to add this is an internet forum, and my opinion only has as much value as you put on it. So its as worthless as the next persons really. Buy what you can afford and suits you.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:40 pm

albertgaleano wrote:yeah not expecting much for around $350
$350 for a pub bike? Can I come drinking with you some time?

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Bro, car has gone so i want another bike for a thrasher.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:22 pm

albertgaleano wrote:Bro, i want another bike for a thrasher.
I was in the same boat, with an ally roadie,a retro steel roadie with brifters, and an undrilled lugged track bike, i wanted a $hitter for all the other stuff. Weighed up the parts bin + frame option, and settled on a Complete Kona paddy wagon on a clearout special. Cheaper than a build, and actually rides well enough to have become my commuter.

AP81

Postby AP81 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Some suggestions:

Fuji Classic Track ~$500

HASA http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/hasa- ... bike/TRACK $299
I'd suggest going to their store and trying it. I rode someone's for around 10km and it was actually pretty decent.

A second-hand Mongoose Maurice is also good buy. Despite the colour scheme, they are a great bike
Steel - is - real

gabelearnstoride

Postby gabelearnstoride » Thu May 09, 2013 8:44 pm

you can look at the FUJI DECLARATION 2012

http://www.urbanvelocity.com.au/bikes/f ... e-611.html

only 300! I bought the Red/Grey Fuji declaration 2012 i believe its sold out.

I used mine for around a month already. Loving it, but as you know once ur in the fixed gear scene u will never stop wanting to upgrade!!!

alwlim

Postby alwlim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:23 pm

I would buy a Harrier for the components (it is a good deal knocked together) and the ride. It's nice and stiff, accelerates lightly and the cro-mo works for me. I love the geometry, and the colours are pretty damn attractive too - able to customise every detail etc.

But NOT the Griffon (lower-end with Promax components, etc) and I would be cautious about those JHT Chinese-made wheels. From my experience the spokes loosened so often that I had to carry a spoke key around. And the lowest end of brakes I'd go = Tektro, nothing less.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:33 pm

My recent dabble in the single speed pub bike scene:

• Cell Messenger: $199
• Postage to Tas: $59
• Drop bars: $20
• Tektro aero levers & cables: $40
• Bottle cage: $walktoshed

An all-black night time ninja for just over three hundred bucks (quite a bit less if you live in a real city) with flip-flop hub inclusive.

alwlim

Postby alwlim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:07 pm

gabelearnstoride wrote:you can look at the FUJI DECLARATION 2012

http://www.urbanvelocity.com.au/bikes/f ... e-611.html

only 300! I bought the Red/Grey Fuji declaration 2012 i believe its sold out.

I used mine for around a month already. Loving it, but as you know once ur in the fixed gear scene u will never stop wanting to upgrade!!!
It's mother heavy though. 11 or 12 kilos?

miml

Postby miml » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:51 pm

So did the OP end up buying a Reid?

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Yeah, I'd love to hear from someone who's had one for a while. I've got a Falco to commute on (love it!) and been pinching my wife's X229 (not too shabby) for short trips. But I've been tempted to get a cheap fixie for when I go riding with the family and to save me adjusting the seat height on the mrs' bike.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:34 pm

lobstermash wrote:Yeah, I'd love to hear from someone who's had one for a while. I've got a Falco to commute on (love it!) and been pinching my wife's X229 (not too shabby) for short trips. But I've been tempted to get a cheap fixie for when I go riding with the family and to save me adjusting the seat height on the mrs' bike.
I do, love it. The 2014s look to be even better finished than my '13. Get one. Problem solved. :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Just did my tax. And ordered a bike... Problem solved

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:15 am

8)
Have a blast :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 am

Trouble is that now I'll look like a Reid tragic...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:37 am

lobstermash wrote:Trouble is that now I'll look like a Reid tragic...
Until you whack some colnago stickers on. They seem to go with anything
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.