Advice for upgrades - Single Speed

backofthebunch

Advice for upgrades - Single Speed

Postby backofthebunch » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:30 am

G'day,

I haven't posted here for a while, but in the past have got some great advice / feedback from members and am looking for the same again!

I've commited to the Conquer Cancer ride in October (200km over 2 days) on my Single Speed... (2010 Giant Bowery), and I definately require a new wheelset, and may look to upgrade some other parts in order to lose some weight and upgrade from the average stock parts which will have been on the bike 3 years by the time I do the ride.

wheelset - thinking something like Open Pro's
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Mavic-Op ... 3a74979162

also thinking BB / crankset could be upgraded... thoughts?

any feed back and ideas will be appreciated

HLC

Re: Advice for upgrades - Single Speed

Postby HLC » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 pm

What's your budget??

'Upgrading' wheels to another wheelset with generic old sealed hubs is a waste of money over your current set, which will have a near identical set of hubs. The open pro's may be a touch lighter though...

I would be looking at a wheelset with better hubs, or just install some new bearings in your current wheels if they are gritty.

Crankset, I'd look at SRAM Omniums which come with external BB.. otherwise if you want to keep using a square taper BB, then Dura Ace 7600, and/or Sugino 75's are at the top end of things in lightness and stiffness. Get the matching BB as well for a good chainline.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Aero spokes. Front and rear. Do not colour match.

Then to prove your hardcore do the full 200kms in skinny jeans!

JM

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 am

thanks for the replies, especially Sydguy's suggestion of skinny legs... however I'll definately be wearing cycling specific attire!

a mate suggested BB and crank upgrade for lightness stiffness also, whats the deal with sizing etc of BB, ensuring I replace it with something that fits!

also I dont know how I have created 2 identical threads, would be good if they can be merged!!

dougalh

Postby dougalh » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Sydguy wrote:Aero spokes. Front and rear. Do not colour match.

Then to prove your hardcore do the full 200kms in skinny jeans!

JM
+1