Rear cogand chain tensioner

Baxter22

Rear cogand chain tensioner

Postby Baxter22 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:09 pm

I have a Schwinn Cutter that i'm replacing the wheels and drivetrain on.
I have 46T crank up front and currently a 18t cog at the back. The rear wheel I have bought has a 16t cog and I would like to know should I drop a link or two out of my chain to have it fit or get a chain tensioner and keep the original chain as is?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers

HLC

Re: Rear cogand chain tensioner

Postby HLC » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Baxter22 wrote:I have a Schwinn Cutter that i'm replacing the wheels and drivetrain on.
I have 46T crank up front and currently a 18t cog at the back. The rear wheel I have bought has a 16t cog and I would like to know should I drop a link or two out of my chain to have it fit or get a chain tensioner and keep the original chain as is?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Are you running fixed or single speed?

Do you want to gear up or remain at the same ratio?

Do you have tools?

If you are running fixed, then you cannot add a chain tensioner.

If you want to gear up, ie, smaller sprocket on the back, then you will need to remove a link or 2 from your chain. This is done with a chain-breaker tool. If you want to stay at the same ratio, then you will need a lockring tool, chain whip and some grease if fixed, or Freewheel tool and grease if freewheel.

My best suggestion is to take your bike to the nearest bike shop and explain your problem to them. They will swap the sprockets or cut the chain according to your needs.

Baxter22

Re: Rear cogand chain tensioner

Postby Baxter22 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm running a single speed and not a fixie so the chain tensioner could be an easy bolt on solution, fram mounted or off the horizontal drop out. I have all the tools for doing the work myself thankfully to take out a link or 2 from the chain if need be as well as chain whip for work on the rear sprocket. I'm happy to gear up so shouldnt need to mess around too much with removing freewheels.
Awesome advice!!
Cheers