New Old Singlespeeds

devilishdesigner

New Old Singlespeeds

Postby devilishdesigner » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:47 am

Hi guys, I know there are a lot of people on here building their own single speed and fixie bikes, and I was wondering how many of you are use or like the idea of using properly old frames in your builds? I have seen quite a few around built on 80's 10 speed frames, but not many earlier. I love the handpainted pinstriping and detailing on the earlier bikes, which seems to have been lost on all but the most expensive modern frames.

I have been riding a 1960's Repco based single speed for around 12 months now and absolutely love it. I love the patina of the frame, the texture and colours, and the contrast with the modern deep V rims. The bike is perfectly reliable, all bearings have been replaced as well as any excessively worn bearing surfaces, wheels and tyres and seat are brand new, but as many other parts as possible are original. It is a touch high geared for hill climbing but a blast on a long flat track.

I have been building bikes for myself, friends and family since I was a kid and have decided to take it a step further and start producing bikes based on these beautiful older frames. I currently have 4 ready to ride bikes including the red Master Sports shown here. Every one has been stripped to a bare frame, original paint polished and oiled, bearings etc replaced where necessary then carefully assembled with a variety of new and old parts so that the end result is a reliable and fun bike to ride with a unique style and easy to source consumable parts.

A also have a small stock of beautiful 1950's and 1960's frames which are ready to be turned into a custom creation to suit the desires of the new owner including a stunning pair of Master Sports with near spotless original paint For single speed use I attempt to only stock frames with horizontal dropouts and am very careful to avoid any visible structural damage.

I am very keen to get some feedback on these bikes. I have ridden all of them for testing purposes and love every one, I do not know of anyone else maintaining the beautiful original patina and pinstriping of these vintage frames in a single speed format but I hope others will feel a similar appreciation for the aesthetic, as many did at the Treadlie market a couple of weeks ago.

The rest of the bikes can be found at http://www.suus.com.au/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by devilishdesigner on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suus: Reimagined/Recycled/Upcycled Cool
https://www.facebook.com/suusdesign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BRLVR.v2

Re: New Old Singlespeeds

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:30 pm

^^ spam much?

devilishdesigner

Postby devilishdesigner » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:07 pm

No intention of spamming, a thread has been going around in the 'Retro Biking' part of this forum discussing restoration versus modernisation, and since I am working with bikes which walk the line, generally single speeds, I was curious to know what the Fixed/SS part of the BNA community thought about the idea.
https://www.facebook.com/suusdesign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:56 pm

devilishdesigner wrote:No intention of spamming, a thread has been going around in the 'Retro Biking' part of this forum discussing restoration versus modernisation, and since I am working with bikes which walk the line, generally single speeds, I was curious to know what the Fixed/SS part of the BNA community thought about the idea.
I think the market for a product like that is extremely SMALL.

I personally am not a fan of seeing deep colourful wheels on old patina'd frames. A period build would be much more appealing to me, if I indeed wanted a frame/bike of that era.

You would have more success setting up another mojo/jellybean/jube customs/justrideit type business selling modern kit, or putting together period bicycles as is with the hope of selling to collector's / antique dealers / dudes with hotrods.

But just like anything, this is my personal opinion, and will differ to some other members on the forum.

devilishdesigner

Postby devilishdesigner » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks HLC,

I have had a fascinating range of responses when I have been out on the Repco and at the couple of events I've attended with more bikes. Some love the idea, some don't. I don't expect the bikes to be a huge business on their own as I am interested in a range of things from the period, but for me adding the deep wheels or coloured tyres just gives the bike a little twist of freshness while improving access to tyres etc. I hope that by building these with a price comparable to modern fixies with comparable part quality I can provide a viable alternative option.

I love a good original bike too, I have a Super Elliott which will be getting little more than a strip down and bearing replacement as it is so lovely with it's original leather saddle and colour coded westwood rims. I have also restored plenty of bikes over the years (when I want a laugh I have an extra long frame Myer Speed dragster which comes out for rides that is completely original save for replaced tyres) and enjoy this also, my main aim is to build things that encourage use, rather than display items, which restorations can sometimes become.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 pm

devilishdesigner wrote:No intention of spamming, a thread has been going around in the 'Retro Biking' part of this forum discussing restoration versus modernisation, and since I am working with bikes which walk the line, generally single speeds, I was curious to know what the Fixed/SS part of the BNA community thought about the idea.
Oh, silly me.
devilishdesigner wrote: The rest of the bikes can be found at http://www.suus.com.au/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This link to a commercial website offering bikes for sale confused me into thinking you were subtly spamming. :oops:

devilishdesigner

Postby devilishdesigner » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 am

Sorry, I have been posting during breaks at my day job, where I don't have access to good quality images of all my builds, I am happy to remove the link and add better photos of some other builds for discussion when I get home if people would prefer. Each bike has a very different character depending on what parts I felt best fitted the style of the bike/frame, so I am happy to share some pictures of the others once I am home.

In the meantime here's some rather nice ones I have found from around the country and around the world. Most have been repainted and feature slightly more modern frames (often 10speed), but the spirit is similar:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:39 pm

devilishdesigner wrote: Image
I REALLY like that one, very smooth.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:14 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
devilishdesigner wrote: Image
I REALLY like that one, very smooth.
Funny... I was thinking how out of place a unicrown fork looked on a frame like this. Unicrown forks epitomise bad 90's laziness in steel frame builds, and certainly don't fit with some thing like this.
Most of these frames look like low end hi ten steel frames with cookie cutter/pressed ends with a modern wheelsets and fancy paint. Polishing 27 inch wheeled turds to sell to hipsters.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:35 pm

I have to admit i hadn't even noticed the unicrown forks, i definitely prefer a proper fork crown.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

BNC_82

Postby BNC_82 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 pm

devilishdesigner wrote:Thanks HLC,

I have had a fascinating range of responses when I have been out on the Repco and at the couple of events I've attended with more bikes. Some love the idea, some don't. I don't expect the bikes to be a huge business on their own as I am interested in a range of things from the period, but for me adding the deep wheels or coloured tyres just gives the bike a little twist of freshness while improving access to tyres etc. I hope that by building these with a price comparable to modern fixies with comparable part quality I can provide a viable alternative option.

I love a good original bike too, I have a Super Elliott which will be getting little more than a strip down and bearing replacement as it is so lovely with it's original leather saddle and colour coded westwood rims. I have also restored plenty of bikes over the years (when I want a laugh I have an extra long frame Myer Speed dragster which comes out for rides that is completely original save for replaced tyres) and enjoy this also, my main aim is to build things that encourage use, rather than display items, which restorations can sometimes become.
G'day, I noticed you mention you have a Myer Speed Dragster bike, I came across one in rough shape but very fixeable and have been struggling to find any information on the brand. Do you know who built them? Is it an Australian made bike?
Thanks

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:23 pm

the first one ( repco based ) the cranks are out of alignment, and I'm with others, those
modern wheels look out of place, however you're saving bikes that might otherwise
be trashed, so that's good :D
Phil