Converting to single speed

Mat

Converting to single speed

Postby Mat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi all

Well I was on ebay the other day and somehow bought a new bike...and an extra frame. So from a single bike I am somehow now going to have 3. Still yet to work out how to bring up the subject with the missus :-P

Anyway, I want to convert my current bike, a Malvern Star Oppy C5 to a single-speed. I thought this would be easy, however I got confused when the whole bottom bracket issue came to light.

The Oppy runs a Shimano 105 5600 group currently which I am planning to remove, except for the Hollowtech II bottom bracket. Now I guess my questions are:

1. What crankset should I be looking for to work with the bottom bracket
2. Are there any kits people recommend for converting a mavic wheel sub to be used for single speed?
3. Will I need a chain tensioner?

Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers
2008 Giant CRX4 - Daily Commuter (Gatorskins)
2011 Malvern Star Oppy C5 - Weekend Warrior (Conti Race + Michelin Pro Race 3)

HLC

Re: Converting to single speed

Postby HLC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:55 pm

Mat wrote:Hi all

Well I was on ebay the other day and somehow bought a new bike...and an extra frame. So from a single bike I am somehow now going to have 3. Still yet to work out how to bring up the subject with the missus :-P

Anyway, I want to convert my current bike, a Malvern Star Oppy C5 to a single-speed. I thought this would be easy, however I got confused when the whole bottom bracket issue came to light.

The Oppy runs a Shimano 105 5600 group currently which I am planning to remove, except for the Hollowtech II bottom bracket. Now I guess my questions are:

1. What crankset should I be looking for to work with the bottom bracket
2. Are there any kits people recommend for converting a mavic wheel sub to be used for single speed?
3. Will I need a chain tensioner?

Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers
1. Just get another cheap Hollowtech II crankset and remove one of the chainrings. Probably dozen's on ebay.
2. Any single speed 'conversion kit' on ebay will do. It just replaces all but 1 of the sprockets in the cassette with spacers.
3. Depends on what gear you choose to run. You may find a magic gear and can cut your chain to the correct length without the risk of it coming off.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:34 am

The Oppy has vertical dropouts so chain tension is an issue.

The "magic gear" concept works, particularly with the help of a half link.
For initial tests, you can use your deraileur as a chain tensioner, just adjust it to suit your cog.
A new rear wheel with an Eno (eccentric) hub is the best move ... and far and away the most expensive. The Eno hubs are very good though so they are worth it for a long term application.

As mentioned above, conversion kits work. You can also a racing bmx hub plus spacers or pull apart cassettes to use one cog and the spacers.

I'd encourage the experiment, but don't do anything expensive or irreversible until you've tried and proven it. Personally, I think that SS is only half the job and you'll gain a lot more by going to fixed gear.
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:41 am

Mat wrote: Well I was on ebay the other day and somehow bought a new bike...and an extra frame.
Hate it when that happens.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.