Frame sizing for a newbie

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby raoulduke » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Can anyone recommend the best frame size for a first time fixed rider? I'm 5' 10" and my inseam is roughly 30"
thanks
raoulduke
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:15 pm

by BNA » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 pm

BNA
 

Re: Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby HLC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 pm

raoulduke wrote:Can anyone recommend the best frame size for a first time fixed rider? I'm 5' 10" and my inseam is roughly 30"
thanks


52-54cm should be ok I would think.
User avatar
HLC
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney.

Re: Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Nobody
 
Posts: 6723
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:15 pm

I say 59.5cm top tube, 62cm seat tube, 173mm head tube at 71.69 degrees, 76.33 degree seat tube angle and 412.5mm chain stays. If that doesn't fit, paint it red so your arms reach better.
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby rustychisel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Actually,

your height divided by pi (3.14 something, look it up) gets very damn close to the correct sized top tube for nearly everyone, I just discovered. Unless you're a gorilla or a gazelle, in which case you need a circus bike.

But truly, I'm the same height as you and in the normal percentile. The correct TT bike for me is 56cm, and one of mine is a 55. Pretty close.
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3416
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:27 pm

I like the life of Pi bit, but seriously, OP should just pay for a bike fit.
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby rustychisel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Dan wrote:I like the life of Pi bit, but seriously, OP should just pay for a bike fit.


Why? Up until 10 years ago no-one would have thought of paying for a bike fit. Get some advice, yes.

I got the idea the OP wanted a cheapish angle on things.

Read here http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123332 on the pi idea and decide for yourself whether to be serious about it or not.
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3416
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:04 pm

rustychisel wrote:
Dan wrote:I like the life of Pi bit, but seriously, OP should just pay for a bike fit.


Why? Up until 10 years ago no-one would have thought of paying for a bike fit. Get some advice, yes.

I got the idea the OP wanted a cheapish angle on things.

Read here http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123332 on the pi idea and decide for yourself whether to be serious about it or not.


I think you misunderstood. I'm not debating the Pi idea - If it works for you it works for you.

Regarding the "here's two measurements what size bike do I need" brain fart, I suggested a bike fit because its one way of getting an (arguably) correct fit, as is buying different sized frames until one fits correctly. I haven't had a bike fit, and probably wouldn't either, but I know of people who have, and who are now more comfortable as a result. I also know of people who think they wasted their money.

Even with general advice on sizing, angles may come into it - I mean, can anyone tell me why one of the five 56cm frames I've bought over the past year doesn't fit me, while all the others do?

I think the OP is just lazy. For example - my arm is 62cm long and I am 186cm tall - what is the right size for me?
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 pm

Dan wrote:Even with general advice on sizing, angles may come into it - I mean, can anyone tell me why one of the five 56cm frames I've bought over the past year doesn't fit me, while all the others do?
Yes, angles do come into it. Link below is from my previous post.
http://www.rivbike.com/v/vspfiles/asset ... xcerpt.pdf

Dan wrote:I think the OP is just lazy.
:shock: Wow, you know how to start a flame war. Just as well he has probably moved on.

Dan wrote:For example - my arm is 62cm long and I am 186cm tall - what is the right size for me?
Do the calculator. :)
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=c ... ATOR_INTRO
Nobody
 
Posts: 6723
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Frame sizing for a newbie

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Yeah, probably got the brunt of seeing 'will this bike fit me?' forty thousand times...

Re: link, Americans with an understanding of sarcasm always make me smile.
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby


Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers