Advice on a premium level fixie

gururug

Re: Advice on a premium level fixie

Postby gururug » Mon May 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Spesh langster pro frameset vrooooom!

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 am

gururug wrote:Spesh langster pro frameset vrooooom!
Just googled them. They are very sexy! I cant see if the forks are drilled for brakes though?
Tom

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue May 21, 2013 1:02 pm

Dosnoventa.
Might push your budget but their bikes are tres sexy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

frogleg

Postby frogleg » Tue May 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Pravda wrote:Dosnoventa
Dammm they are the tits

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue May 21, 2013 4:06 pm

frogleg wrote:
Pravda wrote:Dosnoventa
Dammm they are the tits
Word.

Here's a link so we can all drool over them.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Pravda wrote:Dosnoventa.
+2, i'm always drooling over those on Prolly is not probably.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

alwlim

Postby alwlim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:28 pm

ldrcycles wrote: I like coasting a lot! :)
That's me! :D

Agree with the lot that the fixie really gets you working on the pedals, but coasting is just so important for commuting.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:33 pm

I could live without coasting (on my relatively flat commute), but I hate, with a passion, having to carefully plan every stop so that my cranks are in a position that will allow me to start again.

Argh. Just let me whip my pedal around already!

Yeah, I can track-stand pretty well (although I find it easier on a freewheel for some reason), but I honestly CBF.

Ratchets are pretty well established technology. I see no reason to deprive myself of that benefit on my bicycle.

tim

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:19 pm

barefoot wrote:I could live without coasting (on my relatively flat commute), but I hate, with a passion, having to carefully plan every stop so that my cranks are in a position that will allow me to start again.

Argh. Just let me whip my pedal around already!

Yeah, I can track-stand pretty well (although I find it easier on a freewheel for some reason), but I honestly CBF.

Ratchets are pretty well established technology. I see no reason to deprive myself of that benefit on my bicycle.

tim
Then you may as well add some derailleurs. :lol:

takai

Postby takai » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:44 am

For me a freewheel is pretty much required because of my knee and hip injury. Usually I ride fixed, but on the days that my hip and knee are playing up I don't dare to, because the results of having my left leg lock up suddenly is nasty when fixed.

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 pm

barefoot wrote:I could live without coasting (on my relatively flat commute), but I hate, with a passion, having to carefully plan every stop so that my cranks are in a position that will allow me to start again...
While standing in the "wrong cranks position", just use your hand to pull up the rear part of the top tube and lift the rear wheel for a sec. This allows you to get your pedal in the "right cranks position" to start.

don't pull the saddle, it won't last...

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:28 pm

slidetaker wrote:
barefoot wrote:I could live without coasting (on my relatively flat commute), but I hate, with a passion, having to carefully plan every stop so that my cranks are in a position that will allow me to start again...
While standing in the "wrong cranks position", just use your hand to pull up the rear part of the top tube and lift the rear wheel for a sec. This allows you to get your pedal in the "right cranks position" to start.

don't pull the saddle, it won't last...
Oh, I know how to do it.

I just don't want to do it.

With a freewheel, I don't have to turn the flywheel mass of the wheel just to get my cranks in the right position, and I don't have to lift the back end of my bike at all. Which is especially convenient considering the back of my commuter bike almost always has a pannier attached to it.

When I've gone fixed for a couple of weeks at a time, to see if I can get a feel for this zen connection with the bike all the h*pst*rs carry on about :roll: , I tend to favour the option of grabbing a handful of front brake and pushing my bars forward to lift the rear wheel. But I guess that goes against the zen of not having a front brake in the first place.

tim

alwlim

Postby alwlim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:06 pm

takai wrote:For me a freewheel is pretty much required because of my knee and hip injury. Usually I ride fixed, but on the days that my hip and knee are playing up I don't dare to, because the results of having my left leg lock up suddenly is nasty when fixed.
Think you should just stick to the freewheel mate! No fun taking the risk on injuries. I started out with a partial tear of my patellar tendon, now it's a gone case (which is why I switched from running to cycling). Plus, you don't wanna get caught out on the roads with a sudden lock up... that'd be a crappy double whammy.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:55 pm

barefoot wrote:When I've gone fixed for a couple of weeks at a time, to see if I can get a feel for this zen connection with the bike all the h*pst*rs carry on about :roll: , I tend to favour the option of grabbing a handful of front brake and pushing my bars forward to lift the rear wheel. But I guess that goes against the zen of not having a front brake in the first place.

tim
Exactly what I do, quite often it's the only time I use the brakes but it gives me a warm and fuzzy to know I can stop quickly if/when the No2s get close to the rotating blades.

It's not just the lords of irony that feel the whole cyborg thing. I was a long term sceptic once, ONCE!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011