Please help setting up Azzurri Pista for son

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Please help setting up Azzurri Pista for son

Postby mave2911 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:33 am

I purchased my 11yo son an Azzurri Pista track bike, and need to change gearing.

He needs to run a 44t x 17t to meet his 5.5m rollout. (from the Pista's stock 48t x 16t)

Also, I am almost completely ignorant as to calculating appropriate crank lengths etc, so I need help please.

How best to achieve this rollout? Buy just sprockets/chainwheel with the existing cranks, or a shorter crank? (no doubt the Pista was designed for a taller child?)

What length crank should I use? (and how do I calculate the leg length to crank length?)

My son enjoys his cycling, and I don't want my lack of knowledge to impede his potential achievements.

Can you please advise on options for the above, to fit the Azzurri Pista, and/or availabilityon what parts he will require. (whether that be just sprockets or a crankset)

He currently has 3/32" chain/gearset, and I'm finding difficulty finding compatible items, maybe need to go 1/8"?

Sincerely,
Rick
mave2911

by BNA » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 pm

BNA

Re: Please help setting up Azzurri Pista for son

Postby slidetaker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Buy a 44t, 3/32, chainring.
Buy a 17t, 3/32, cog.
Install.

Remove a link on the existing chain. Install and adjust chain tension by positioning rear wheel along horizontal dropout.

If the bike is the correct size for your son, by adjusting the seatpost, it will achieve good fitment.

Don't worry about crank length for the moment if you are just starting out...
slidetaker

Re: Please help setting up Azzurri Pista for son

Postby mave2911 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Ok, I have bitten the bullet, and purchased a 44T 165mm crank, a 14T rear sprocket, and a 1/8" chain to suit. (apparently 1/8" is a lot more available than 3/32")

Just waiting in delivery, but it'll be interesting to see my son's reaction when he rides it on the track for the first time -80cms less rollout, and shorter crank arms will make him feel like he's pedalling a lot faster/easier!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Rick
mave2911

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed