A few questions about my near-finished build

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: A few questions about my near-finished build

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:22 pm

If you can get to my workplace at Spencer St Station after 1600 Saturday Josh there'll be a 25mm Michelin ProRace?? in very usable condition. You'll have to dust the cobwebs off :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:20 am

Cheers Shaun! I'll PM you now

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:29 am

Ha! Doing my last bits of packing for the trip and figured I'd take another peek at the back tyre and see how bad that lil patch of wire bead really was. It's been about 5-10kms.. I've now got 5-6 full blown wire beed craters! I'm gonna have to reel back my enthusiasm for these tyres.

They are still holding air better than the Gators though. And no flats yet..

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Josh. wrote:Image
Ha!

Giddy-up.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:31 am

Tyre exploded this afternoon. RIP Hutchinson Nitro

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:03 am

I've been using the Gatorskin I took off cause I kept getting flats and losing air pressure with it.. and it's doing the same thing

No punctures yet but today I pumped to 105 and road 30kms, got home and it was in the high 80's

Dunno what is wrong with it.. I cleaned it thoroughly on the inside before I started using it again, and checked it all - it all seems good, except there are two small 1mm craters that don't go through the tyre but they look pretty minor.

Anyway I picked up two used tyres off my uncle: http://www.this link is broken.au/michelin-pro4- ... road-tyre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem super floppy.. not sure they'd last as a rear tyre for me. Almost tube level. There are no wires in em. They're in great condition though.

New Schwalbe tyre surely arriving soon.

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:37 am

Josh. wrote:I've been using the Gatorskin I took off cause I kept getting flats and losing air pressure with it.. and it's doing the same thing

No punctures yet but today I pumped to 105 and road 30kms, got home and it was in the high 80's

Dunno what is wrong with it.. I cleaned it thoroughly on the inside before I started using it again, and checked it all - it all seems good, except there are two small 1mm craters that don't go through the tyre but they look pretty minor.

Anyway I picked up two used tyres off my uncle: http://www.this link is broken.au/michelin-pro4- ... road-tyre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem super floppy.. not sure they'd last as a rear tyre for me. Almost tube level. There are no wires in em. They're in great condition though.

New Schwalbe tyre surely arriving soon.
I think you'll find it's your tube leaking, not the tyre. Replace the tube, gator should be ok.

the 2 'craters' are wear indicators, much like those on car tyres!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:58 pm

I shredded the Gator in like a week, must have been close to death. The Lugano is here though and it seems alright. I also got some proper cycling shorts and they are sooo good, one of the best things I've bought for the bike.

Vittoria Zaffiro v2's are $10~ at the moment at Cell in a range of ugly colours. Anybody tried those for fixed brakeless?

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Josh. wrote:I shredded the Gator in like a week, must have been close to death. The Lugano is here though and it seems alright. I also got some proper cycling shorts and they are sooo good, one of the best things I've bought for the bike.

Vittoria Zaffiro v2's are $10~ at the moment at Cell in a range of ugly colours. Anybody tried those for fixed brakeless?
(AT) $10 a tyre, who cares if they are good

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:41 am

Shame they're either white, or orange

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Chode stemmin'

60mm Cinelli Ant replacing my 110mm Deda Zero2.. not sure if I prefer it. My bars visually are behind my axle, previously they were infront - can't remember if this was some rule of thumb or a figment of my imagination. Snagged it new 2nd hand though!

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:11 am

Stem length is a fit parameter!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:59 pm

Yeah, I sized myself and the bike was fitted as per nerdy internet calculators - but I went for a ride with somebody experienced recently and they suggested a shorter stem for a more upright position. I'm not a big guy - 5'10, so a 57x with 110mm IS large.. I might have lanky limbs though.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:20 am

PS. Cannot recommend Schwalbe Lugano for the brakeless gent. Falling apart after about a week, but I think my $10 and $14 Vittoria tyres arrive tomorrow.
By the way, for the fans of the Refuse tyres they had them for $23 in white.

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:00 pm

Josh. wrote:Yeah, I sized myself and the bike was fitted as per nerdy internet calculators - but I went for a ride with somebody experienced recently and they suggested a shorter stem for a more upright position. I'm not a big guy - 5'10, so a 57x with 110mm IS large.. I might have lanky limbs though.
Yeah i'm 5'11 and ride a 54cm.... But i run 110, 120 and 130mm stems on my bikes and a mile of seat post. Your proportions do play a huge part.

If it's comfortable / aint broke, don't fix it!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:50 pm

I'm 6'2 and ride 56 with 90-100mm stems, though that's with drop bars.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Josh. wrote:Vittoria Zaffiro v2's are $10~ at the moment at Cell in a range of ugly colours. Anybody tried those for fixed brakeless?
I got a pair for $7 each (white 25mm slick version) im seriously impressed with them, ugly as hell but good grip and equal to the maxis refuse at puncture resistance. They just seem to not pick up any glass. But i run a front brake so i have no idea about their skidding performance. First time i tried 25mm tyres and i have to say they seem to absorb the little bumps a lot better than the 23mm's.

How are the wheels? Im looking for a pair. They are quite heavy but look well finished, how do they feel?
Tom

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Woot.. I shoulda got some more of those cheap $9 buck white ones then.. seems like I go through about one rear tyre a month. Plus I'm building up some pretty bad black skid lines suspiciously leading to places I often lock my bike up... they'l be on to me soon.. heh

Haven't got the two vittorias yet but the wheelset itself is awesome. Seems really bullet proof, I ride in rain, down stairs, off curbs, etc. If you run a brake they do lose the black anodised surface though! They're only about 150g heavier than a set of Archetypes (don't quote me on that) but strong and good lookin'
I don't really notice the wind blowing into them either like I did with my first set of Cell's

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu May 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Black Refuse 23c for $22 bucks (AT) cell atm http://www.this link is broken/Maxxis-Refu ... gory=12704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri May 02, 2014 9:28 am

just changed one of the hutchison nitro's on my planet x this morning ha ha

they are such rubbish tyres and super tough to get on and off the carbon wheels! Oh well, for $10 i shouldn't complain. Only 4 left ha ha

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Sat May 03, 2014 11:53 pm

I'll give ya $20 for the 4 if you don't like em :P

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun May 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Josh. wrote:I'll give ya $20 for the 4 if you don't like em :P
Dreaming! Went riding on Friday night, dropping skids around town as I usually do, ha ha fish-tailed/drifted around the corner all the way down to Luna Park, tyre smelling like cooked rubber. Barely shows any sign of wear. These things are so hard and slippery, but so good!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Sun May 04, 2014 11:57 pm

haha damn. $20 for two!