A few questions about my near-finished build

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 am

I recently drewed and powdercoated an old Raliegh frame I picked up for free.

Pre powdercoat.. Orig paint was legit I thought, but rusty/chipped

I gave it to the powdercoaters today and they called me back a few hours later and said IT WAS DONE! I wasn't expecting to have it back so quickly. Since my brakes are arriving next week, but my fixed rear wheel is arriving tomorrow, I figured I'd be able to start riding tomorrow.

My questions:

1. Do I need strapped pedals in order to lock my legs and skid stop using fixed gear? If so .. which ones should I get, and where from? Are any of you riding fixed without brakes, and no straps/clips?

2. I may replace the forks (1" head tube), what 1" forks are decent and where should I look? The forks I have appear a lil bent, but have no cracks.

3. What tyre are you brakeless fixed riders using? I got some Gatorskins - hoping they last a decent amount of time if I try to be considerate on them with the skid stops. $35 was reasonable but I saw some home brand 'fixie' tyres at Cell bikes for $10 and wondered if the Gators really last 3.5x as long.

Cheers

HLC

Re: A few questions about my near-finished build

Postby HLC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:09 am

Josh. wrote:I recently drewed and powdercoated an old Raliegh frame I picked up for free.

Pre powdercoat.. Orig paint was legit I thought, but rusty/chipped

I gave it to the powdercoaters today and they called me back a few hours later and said IT WAS DONE! I wasn't expecting to have it back so quickly. Since my brakes are arriving next week, but my fixed rear wheel is arriving tomorrow, I figured I'd be able to start riding tomorrow.

My questions:

1. Do I need strapped pedals in order to lock my legs and skid stop using fixed gear? If so .. which ones should I get, and where from? Are any of you riding fixed without brakes, and no straps/clips?

2. I may replace the forks (1" head tube), what 1" forks are decent and where should I look? The forks I have appear a lil bent, but have no cracks.

3. What tyre are you brakeless fixed riders using? I got some Gatorskins - hoping they last a decent amount of time if I try to be considerate on them with the skid stops. $35 was reasonable but I saw some home brand 'fixie' tyres at Cell bikes for $10 and wondered if the Gators really last 3.5x as long.

Cheers
Hello,

1. Yes. It makes a huge difference. It depends if you want to use BMX style platform pedals and straps, or cages and clips. I ride nobr akes on all my fixed gear/track bikes, but they all have clips/straps or clipless pedal systems. don't leave home without them. (or a brake if you are new to fixed gear).

For the BMX variety, look for either Odyssey Twisted or Fyxation Mesa pedals, with either SkinGrowsBack or BOgear pedal straps.

For clips / straps, MKS Sylvan, with MKS toe clips, and a double strap by All city / Cadence / Toshi / MKS will do the job.

2. You could replace the fork, and you should be able to find one relatively easy, BUT it looks like this frame is for 27"wheels, so if you get a fork for 700c wheels it will mess the geometry up. it would be much easier, (and probably cheaper) to replace the frame AND fork down the track.

3. I used to use gatorskins, i don't really like them. I now pretty much just throw whatever tyres I can on my fixed gear bike now. A favourite for me is Panaracer Pasela or Vittoria Randonneur (or however they spell it). BUt i also throw cheapy maxxis detonators on from time to time too.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:03 am

HLC wrote:
Josh. wrote: 2. I may replace the forks (1" head tube), what 1" forks are decent and where should I look? The forks I have appear a lil bent, but have no cracks.
2. You could replace the fork, and you should be able to find one relatively easy, BUT it looks like this frame is for 27"wheels, so if you get a fork for 700c wheels it will mess the geometry up. it would be much easier, (and probably cheaper) to replace the frame AND fork down the track.
QFT.

1. Save a little cash
2. Get a $200 Cyclingdeal or VISP frame and fork
3. Swap over your cranks, wheels and chain

Tyres can get hugely subjective. I find Vittoria Zaffiro are a reasonably priced, hard-wearing tyre. Can't say how long they hold up to skidding though, cause I'm no strong enough to do it.

Jim

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:40 am

familyguy wrote:
HLC wrote:
Josh. wrote: 2. I may replace the forks (1" head tube), what 1" forks are decent and where should I look? The forks I have appear a lil bent, but have no cracks.
QFT.

1. Save a little cash
2. Get a $200 Cyclingdeal or VISP frame and fork
3. Swap over your cranks, wheels and chain

Tyres can get hugely subjective. I find Vittoria Zaffiro are a reasonably priced, hard-wearing tyre. Can't say how long they hold up to skidding though, cause I'm no strong enough to do it.

Jim
Or get the cell single speed for $200 - complete bike.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:03 am

Good catch especially getting the frame for nothing - I think I would have kept the paint job as it is because I like the Raleigh bikes. Hope it all come together for you.
OI onya bike!!!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Cheers guys

I'll try those Skingrowsback DX and see if they fit on my current pedals for now. If not, I have a pair of Twisted pedals on a BMX which I can take off and swap. This is getting expensive! I found the dx straps for $60 in the city so I can grab em today to get riding at least.

That is a bummer about the need to replace the frame/fork due to the fork change. I'll probably hold that off as long as possible then. I expect the geometry isn't amazing anyway, if the fork is bent. Mostly I was worried about the forks snapping and me eating it.

The orig paint was cool but just too haggard. I'd love to find one in better condition with a fade in it. The powdercoat will look great though. From what I can tell, this is one of the more shite Grand Prix frames, no 531 or anything fancy. But it does have a nice feel and cool lugs.

I'll post some more about the build when its done. I even got some action shots of the night we drewed it. Hopefully finished today, maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks all

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:38 pm

I don't wear straps, but I have brakes so it really doesn't matter...
OI onya bike!!!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm keen to give brakeless a chance.. I rode brakeless BMX for quite a while. Besides, this way I can terrify my girlfriend.

The brakes are definitely going on though since I have two rear wheels which I'll swap out depending on that I'm doing. One is a Sturmey Archer S2 kick shift (pictured in OP) which has two gears, the other is a cheap Cell fixed rear.

Gonna pop over to my old man's place now to put it together. I have to clean up some powdercoat first

Here's a shot of the bike after the powdercoat (transformer grey)

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:31 pm

Woohoo! Had no dramas putting it back together!

I picked up some DX straps this morning, and they fit into the $25 pedal jobbies I have on at the moment. Riding with the DX you really feel glued to the pedals - sort of scary, do you lot prefer the BMX style straps or clips?

Unfortunately I am still without a way to retard my motion. Rear wheel came with no sprocket, so I cant ride fixed yet, and my brakes are still on the way. Bah!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:42 pm

PS. My uncle came through with a hook up of some of his old wheels. He's 64 and does 180ks on his bike a week! 103ks every Sunday. I had a quick search and they seem to be pretty spiffy..

They're Fulcrum rims with Fulcrum 2:1 hubs.. quite light, I might use one for the front wheel. Can I convert the rear to fixed? Single speed? I'm not smart when it comes to hubs/wheels/spokes.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:12 am

Those forks are bent WAY out of shape, I definitely would not ride it with them on there.
These forks (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORKS-27-700 ... 3a86c2023c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) should be a straight swap over (you would need to check the steerer length) or just hit up your local bike shop/tip, it's easy to find forks like these off a standard 10 speed clunker for next to nothing, if not actually nothing.

Whatever you do, just don't ride it with the current forks, it's asking for a faceplant.

With the Fulcrums, I don't know a way of making them fixed, but you can get a single speed conversion kit (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Conversion-K ... 5898eb8481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:10 pm

What about http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fixie-Single ... 25690deb38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Pretty sure there's a straight version of your fork in the shed Josh. If so, it's yours free for pickup or the price of postage. It will need powdercoating tho'.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks Bill I just sent you a PM.. that would be great, that extra expense was starting to hurt!

Especially great since my brakes arrived today and they're the wrong size (DERP!) - I'll have to pick up another one.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:35 am

Are you sure those forks are bent - if I remember rightly I am pretty sure they were actually shaped like that quite a number of years ago. Do a google search and you will see pictures of them. The old malvern star 26 and 28 inch bikes had the same shaped forks.
OI onya bike!!!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Unfortunately the forks I have are too short in the steerer. :( Is anybody else able to help Josh out here?

Gordon, the correct answer is yes, raked out to hell. The blades are meant to be curved but if you have another look near the crown here...
...you'll notice that the upper part of the legs are angled outwards, they should be in a straight line with the head tube. Facial reconstruction surgery waiting to happen.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Gotcha thanks Shaun I was looking at the lower part of forks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OI onya bike!!!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks guys
ldrcycles wrote:Those forks are bent WAY out of shape, I definitely would not ride it with them on there.
These forks (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORKS-27-700 ... 3a86c2023c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) should be a straight swap over
That seller also has some chromed ones for sale that are long enough... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORKS-VINTAG ... 3cd7c593b7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would be cool if these forks made the brake I bought fit.. and I'm keen to avoid powdercoating again.. looks like they'd suit?

This one also fits I think, slightly different style?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fixie-Single ... 25690deb38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:27 am

Josh. wrote:
That seller also has some chromed ones for sale that are long enough... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORKS-VINTAG ... 3cd7c593b7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would be cool if these forks made the brake I bought fit.. and I'm keen to avoid powdercoating again.. looks like they'd suit?

This one also fits I think, slightly different style?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fixie-Single ... 25690deb38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The first ones there would be virtually identical to the original forks, so you would need to check the axle to brake bolt measurement on the original to see if there's a difference. The ones on ebay are listed as 380mm. The second pair are for 700C wheels, so that measurement is only 357 mm. A 27 x 1-1/4 wheel and tyre is somewhere around 340mm radius (I can't find my tape measure otherwise I would give you an accurate measurement), so it may fit in the 700C forks. The reason the chrome forks are so long is to allow room for mounting mudguards.

I wouldn't know for sure without seeing them and trial fitting the brake calliper. The more likely cause of trouble with the 700C forks is width, i'm not sure if they would clear the big 27" tyres.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks ldr, I'm using 700c wheels though!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Oh derp, of course you are, my bad. So what's the brake fitting issue, is it too long or short?

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:16 pm

The original brakes actually fit but are in lousy condition..

I made a mistake ordering replacements and they are too long reach. Was wondering if the 27" forks might make them fit (I'd be lucky)

I could try and restore the old brakes.. the bit the brake cable sits into is all rusted but doesnt seem like it does much. They feel quite stiff to compress

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Just ordered this fork: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sunlite-Fork ... 1c38863754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm really enjoying riding so far.. thinking I may even sell this bike and get something like a Pake Rum Runner, Fyxation East Side, Surly or if I feel like spending too much money an EAI BareKnuckles

I may need to get a brake - seems like I either burn out my knees or my tires without one, but I am sorta enjoying being forced to skid stop and drift around corners!

Been doing a couple of rides each day.. at least one.. 6-20kms. Might give it a rest tonight but then again..

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Just picked up a new cog and some bar tape - now running 46/17 instead of 46/16, hopefully that will help the legs cope! I'll post a pic once I've put it on. Also, my fork has shipped (from the USA)

Question: I need a good, affordable pump. Any suggestions?
The one I am using now is a small 20cm style thing and it does not get my tyres up to 110 really. And if I do borrow someones pump and get them to 110, they lose that pressure within a day or two..