MTB - ROAD - SINGLE SPEED

rabbit stew

MTB - ROAD - SINGLE SPEED

Postby rabbit stew » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:14 am

Hi, iv had a high end mtb build for a couple of years. Lost my license on the Hayabusa for 6 months so i bought a Specialized sectuer for commuting around on. Never thought id get into the road bikes but find myself not only commuting, but going on some 30km late night rides and loving it. After spinning the road wheeks for the last five and half months iv been thinking about getting a single speed or a fixie. Trolling thru gumtree and ebay for a cheapy i bought a half price REID griffin that genuinly was still in the box. I put her together took her for a ride and instantly thought that bike is too small in length and bars to high so i rolled the bars forward about 140 degree,s which made it a little better. Today i put on some bull horn bars, removed the front brake and kept the rear brake, if i had removed the rear and kept the front id have the rear brake cable lugs sitting on the frame for nothing, so i chose to keep the rear and drop the front. With the new bull horns, a new set of track pedals with toe clips and straps and a quality seat, i took her out for a 6 km twilight test ride and OH WOW, its a totally different bike. So much better with the bull horns. I really cant believe the difference, rides so smooth and comfortable. Mind you she takes a while to pull up with the single rear brake compared to my specialized secture. But thats the way i like my girls. I love this cheap single speed.
I,m not quiet. I just dont plan murders out aloud.

KGB

Re: MTB - ROAD - SINGLE SPEED

Postby KGB » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:32 am

You like your girls to take a long while to pull up? I have no idea what the means! Haha.
I ride with a front brake only
On a pretty regular basis but riding with rear only would be a bit scary for me.

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:33 pm

you like your girls cheap?

If you are riding SS, i can only reccommend that you keep both brakes on. If fixed, a front will slow you up much faster than a rear.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:57 pm

The front brake will slow you down faster, but who remembers the good old days with coaster brake skiddies? Heaps of fun, but not in traffic!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:49 am

I am with bychosis - coaster brake skiddies are the go..... :)
OI onya bike!!!

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:47 pm

True dat. I remember when I was a kid I turned my BMX wheel into a taco and found some old, rusty wheel with a coaster brake to replace it. Better still, the tyre was all perished and hard and made super loud squealing skids. Awesome.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 pm

The long black snake, followed by a pop and a long walk home, those were the days...
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.