Single Speed build advice. HELP NEEDED?

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Single Speed build advice. HELP NEEDED?

Postby J_L_C » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a new bike project and I have found this fixed gear bike frame for $60 (link at bottom). I'm hoping to build it as a single speed.
For personal reasons I prefer ss over fixie. I was wondering what parts I would need to make it single speed? and where would be a good place to find those parts?
I know there isn't much information about the bike, sorry for that but any advice that you could give would be very helpful thanks.(I live in Perth, WA)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/ ... l/$_20.JPG
'Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.' AE
J_L_C

by BNA » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:14 pm

BNA

Re: Single Speed build advice. HELP NEEDED?

Postby J_L_C » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:14 pm

I would also like to put a brake on it, Front or back? what needed? thanks again
J_L_C

Postby HLC » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:03 am

J_L_C wrote:I would also like to put a brake on it, Front or back? what needed? thanks again

Don't waste your money on that frame, it's rubbish.

What is your budget??

For around $300 you can buy a Cell (recommended) or reid, and you can pick the colours of everything to build it up.

Google Cell Bike, or there is a Reid shop in Perth (inaloo area) i think, been a while since I lived over there so can't quite remember.
HLC

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:19 am

Some people don't believe in recycling ;) Yes it is a cheap frame, but so is a new cell or Reid frame. In twenty years time the Reid/cell frame will be considered junk and not worth fixing too. As in your other thread the frame is probably not worth the $60 asking price, but for a cheap bike it could be built up OK. By buying a new cell or Reid you get new bits already attached but lose the enjoyment/experience of building it yourself.

For a single speed bike you will need a set of wheels with a freewheel on the hub to allow you to coast. Alternatively a coaster brake hub will include a brake as well and then not require and ugly cables on the bike. Cheap SS wheel sets often include a flip flop hub which will allow you to run SS or fixed by flipping the wheel around.

If you are installing a brake, then front is preferable for best braking performance, however a rear is OK and more fun for mad skidz. An older frame might be setup for 27" rims so a modern 700c set might need brakes with extra reach, the 700c rims are a bit smaller.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby KGB » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:05 am

Wheels (hopefully come with cog), tyres, tubes, front brake caliper/lever/cable as minimum. Personally I'd go rear brake too.
Scouring ebay etc you could get those parts for under $200 without too much effort I think. Cheaper, potentially much cheaper if you're prepared to wait for some bargains to pop up.
KGB

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Potentially much much cheaper if you scavenge bits from the tip :D .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby J_L_C » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:52 pm

Thats what Im gonna be hoping for, but I just dont know what my local tips are gonna be like :/
J_L_C

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed