Need HELP for my new build.

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Need HELP for my new build.

Postby J_L_C » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi guys,

So Im picking up this frame tomorrow (links at bottom) I was thinking of building it as a single speed.
Its a kabuki, not sure if this brand is well known of. I was wondering if anyone had any tips that could help me build this into a nice ss.
Also if you would reccomend keeping stickers and badge, or if they dont matter too much.
Also any good sources of parts for this.
Thanks everyone :)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/ ... S/$_20.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/ ... X/$_20.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/ ... h/$_20.JPG
'Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.' AE
J_L_C

by BNA » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:19 pm

BNA

Re: Need HELP for my new build.

Postby HLC » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:19 pm

J_L_C wrote:Hi guys,

So Im picking up this frame tomorrow (links at bottom) I was thinking of building it as a single speed.
Its a kabuki, not sure if this brand is well known of. I was wondering if anyone had any tips that could help me build this into a nice ss.
Also if you would reccomend keeping stickers and badge, or if they dont matter too much.
Also any good sources of parts for this.
Thanks everyone :)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/ ... S/$_20.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/ ... X/$_20.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/ ... h/$_20.JPG

Kabuki bikes were made by Bridgestone. When Bridgestone bikes became unpopular, they started making bikes under different names - Kabuki was one of those. Now most Bridgestone's are highly desirable.

This frame is not an ideal candidate for an SS conversion, but if you must use this one you might be able to salvage the cranks, seat post, stem, headset, and bars. I would chuck the rest out.

It looks like this frame had 27" wheels, so you could try and find a new set, either single speed or coaster brake but they may be a little dear. As a cheaper alternative you could get some 700c single speed wheels, but you will need Long reach brakes as 700c wheels are a slightly smaller diameter than 27" wheels.

So yes, i mentioned brakes, you will need new ones, that includes levers to suit whichever bars you want to use. You also could leave what is there, but new braking performance far outweighs braking performance of yesteryear.

Also google Sheldon Brown Fixed Gear, whilst he talks about fixies, it all still applies to SS bikes. (except for the no coasting part)
HLC

Postby HLC » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:22 pm

The most important thing is to work out your budget as this will drive what parts you can afford to spend on.

Once decided though - if it's $500 for example, then have a look what is on the market complete for $500 and see if you could build something similar quality for the spend that you are making on parts.

I understand the desire to build a bike, i did this with my first fixed/ss conversion - but i wish i didn't. I wasted a lot of money and had a rubbish bike.

If the idea is to get rolling straight away, get an off the shelf bike, pull it apart, put it back together again, learn how everything works, then work on your Kabuki because you will know what works, what doesn't, what you want.

Have a look at Josh's thread in this section.
HLC

Postby J_L_C » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks HLC ( name coincidence;) )

why would this no be ideal for ss, Im pretty sure it has horizontal drop outs. so you think it will need 27", Ive seen a thing called a single speed conversion (like this one http://www.wiggle.com.au/gusset-1-er-ca ... rsion-kit/ ) I was wondering how this conversion works do you just replace a geared wheel cassete and replace it with this? and would this be a good idea for doing it on the cheap?
To be honest Im really trying to do this as cheap as, like I have extra money just dont really want to use with it being my first build.

Thanks a lot:)
J_L_C

Postby bychosis » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Don't buy brakes until you test it with the wheels you Will use. I have found that some old frames reach better than others. I found out the hard way while moving brakes around between frames and them working on some frames but not others.

Don't pull it apart and start buying stuff until you check the frame size. No point building a bike that is too small/big for you to ride.

It is a basic frame, stem shifters, suicide levers and bolt on derailleur hangar are clues, but that doesn't mean you can't use it. Just don't throw too much money at it, unless you plan to move the good bits onto a better frame later. Painting it might be good practice, you choose.

For wheels you could probably start with a cheap set of Reid (or similar) single speed wheels. If you get a set of wheels that have a cassette (7-10spd) the SS converter thing linked will work.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby J_L_C » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:56 pm

Im not going to spend that much on it, Im basically gonna pay as little as possible.
I only bought the frame for $20 so I new it wasnt going to be the best. Im going to strip it all down and paint it. thinking of just doing it basic colours nothing too crazy. So with the conversion do you just take off the old geared cassette and switch it with ss conversion?

I just looked on reid for the wheels and thanks loads. I found a ss wheel set for $59, the cheapest Id seen anywhere else was $50 just for the front wheel.
And the reid ones come with tyres and inner tubes. Thanks, good shout!
J_L_C

Postby J_L_C » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:58 pm

This is for the Reid wheels I said about in my last post for any one who wanted to take a look
http://www.reidcycles.com.au/parts-acce ... v9V8_mSyap
J_L_C

Postby drubie » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Did you get a seat post or are you going to have to guess the size? Plus budget for a crankset, the stamped metal one is not terribly useful for your plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby J_L_C » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Yeh the bike is finished just waiting on some brake levers I ordered. I took the frane in to the atore to get the seat post size
J_L_C

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed