track cog on campy freewheel. Felt F5 ss conversion

TheClaw58

track cog on campy freewheel. Felt F5 ss conversion

Postby TheClaw58 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:54 pm

just putting the final touches onto my Felt F5 single speed conversion (just done as a challenge on an old, superlight frame) and have found the perfect ratio - but need a proper track rear cog (16T)..
---> Does anyone know if you can get single speed kits or just single cogs that would fit a campag freewheel? ive got the road cog on, and shes rather partial to the old slipped chain under strain... thought the proper track cog could do the job.

ive tried a gussert chain tensioner off c r c but its a pretty rough ride, so obviously the magic ratio would be nicer..

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!

HLC

Re: track cog on campy freewheel. Felt F5 ss conversion

Postby HLC » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 am

TheClaw58 wrote:just putting the final touches onto my Felt F5 single speed conversion (just done as a challenge on an old, superlight frame) and have found the perfect ratio - but need a proper track rear cog (16T)..
---> Does anyone know if you can get single speed kits or just single cogs that would fit a campag freewheel? ive got the road cog on, and shes rather partial to the old slipped chain under strain... thought the proper track cog could do the job.

ive tried a gussert chain tensioner off c r c but its a pretty rough ride, so obviously the magic ratio would be nicer..

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!
If you are putting a cog on a campy freehub with an SS conversion kit, just get a campy cassette and pick the cog you want (16t) and get rid of the rest.

Ive used chain tensioners with no issues. Maybe put a half link in your chain.

A track cog screws on to a threaded hub. So is no use on a freewheel.

Post a picture of what's going on.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:56 am

What he said...

Sounds like you need one of these with Campy splines and spacers:

If its a cassette hub, you won't physically be able to fit one of these and a lockring:

Jim

TheClaw58

Postby TheClaw58 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:06 pm

yeah Jim, spot on, need exactly the campy splined hub, not the threaded one, any idea where i'd get one??

TheClaw58

Postby TheClaw58 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:09 pm

HLC - thanks, but thats exactly what ive done - hence the problem - thought that the deeper teeth of the track style cog could be the solution... any tips on chain tensioners too?? increased resistance = riding a bit rough, still not really preventing slipping off the cog... thanks for your help!

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Post a pic of how you have it currently set up.

Sounds like it isn;t adjusted correctly for it still to be skipping off, or jumping. Or your chain line is no good.

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:12 pm

How is it slipping off the cog? Is the chain completely derailling? Or do you mean its skipping teeth but somehow staying on the cog? If thats the case, you need more chain tension.

To get just a single cassette cog isn't really worth it, price wise. I'd buy a 2nd hand cassette and pul it apart. You should be able to use PVC pipe or something to create spacers to fil the rest of the freewheel. This allows you to adjust the position of the co a s well to get the best chain line.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Don't waste your time gutting a cassette, new is a waste of money and used is already worn. The base of the sprockets is narrow, so it'll cut into alloy freehubs, and the teeth are narrow, profiled and lower height to help the chain derail. Even if your chainline is perfect, it's still more likely to derail when you don't want it to.

The tensioner isn't the issue, you'll want one (unless you buy an eccentric hub/BB), as the magic gear will only last until your chain wears (and then your cassette sprocket is even more likely to derail).

Gusset make both shimano and campy spline sprockets. If the included spacers don't get your chainline correct, then by all means gut some dead cassettes for the spacers to fine tune it (or save the hassle and buy a SS spacer kit with different sized spacers, PVC will be a mess if you don't cut it perfectly square.)

Oh, and track cogs are for fixed gear use, not SS, you just need a splined sprocket

TheClaw58

Postby TheClaw58 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:30 pm

Yeah perfect. Cheers Blakey. I think I've found them online, should do the job I'd say for about $20. Thanks for your help everyone