Advice and tips for my first Fixie Build

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Advice and tips for my first Fixie Build

Postby Oztrekker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Hey guys,

I have always wanted to build a Fixie from scratch and after much searching, I've picked a frame and will slowly be collecting parts in order to start my build. Was just wondering if you guys have any build advice and tips? Any experience with this particular frame? torque tensions on nuts and bolts? I'm budgeting between $300-$350 for this build. It'll be mainly a daily rider to and from work on flat road with the occasional bridge crossing. I was thinking 16t cog in the back and 44t at the front. Will this be appropriate?

This will most like be the colour scheme

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/track ... th-fork/TF

photo hosting

cheers
Oztrekker

by BNA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:03 pm

BNA

Re: Advice and tips for my first Fixie Build

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:03 pm

Tip No1. Run brakes!
Tip No2. If you are going to run Fixed instead of SS, get foot retention for the pedals.
44/16 should be fine for flattish riding. My two run 44/16 and 46/16 around my town and Melbs and I do OK.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby bychosis » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:28 am

If you have a geared bike, pick a similar ratio as your intended fixie gear then ride it without changing for a while. You'll work out if it works for you. Mine runs 46:16 for my mostly flat commute. I started out on a small of a double ring crank and found the gear, at 42 or 40 tooth it was a bit short on gearing.

Plus one for pedal retention, mine's got MTB SPDs - it's not cool, but matches my other bikes.

Definitely need at least front brakes, unless you turn into some sort of legendary messenger hipster BEFORE you start riding.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby HLC » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:34 am

Tip no 3. Put a lot more cash away... building from 'scratch' will cost you a lot more than that. Sometimes it's easier to just buy an off the shelf, for 2-300 from cell, ride it, like it, then build something a lot nicer.
HLC

Postby bene313 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:11 pm

What HLC said. Building your own will cost much more than your budget. You may need to budget for some tools too - bottom brackets, cranks and pedals often require their own tools.

Seriously, for that budget just buy a Cell. I have owned a number of nice old track frames and conversion frames in the past. I picked up the Cell frame for $150 for my commuting because I couldn't decide on something nicer. It's heavy but I quite like it. I already had wheels, cranks etc in the shed.

As for gearing, my favourite is 48 x 19 on 165 cranks. That's a relatively low gear. I did around 20,000km on this gearing.

For a while I recently ran 40 x 17 which is even lower, and I loved it. Now I am running 44 x 17 still considered low at 68 inches, but a bit more practical I suppose.

I have always used 17 and 19 tooth cogs. They are prime numbers. Look up a skid patch calculator to find out more.
bene313

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed