Parts list for Curve Grovel CXSS build

cancan64

Parts list for Curve Grovel CXSS build

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:45 pm

I have just placed an order for a Curve Grovel frame and forks http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/05/bikes ... ve-grovel/ so I just need some idea on a recommended build list to help me come up with a parts list.
I do not have a budget but the less I spend the better although saying that I want the bike to last. I also want the bike to be low maintenance which is why I am going single speed, all weather which is why I am going Disc Brake and multi use which is why I am going cyclecross.
Main purpose of the bike is an all weather commuter (this is the bulk of my commute http://www.strava.com/segments/3639139).
Secondry purpose is holiday bike so if I go camping I can take one bike and use it on the road or go trail blazing or both.
Some days I do a flattish group ride before I commute to work so would like to be able to do this as well on the one bike...if I can keep up, save changing bikes.

I have 12 weeks to collect the parts so at this stage I will come up with a shop list and then watch the specials.

So feel free to recommend a build parts list so I can research till my hearts content...or until the wife finds out.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Gordonhooker

Re: Parts list for Curve Grovel CXSS build

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:39 am

I would spend a bit of money on the wheels and the running gear like the bottom bracket, cranks, and rear sprocket (17/41 or 17/43 would suit me for the commute you do). You will want a good strong wheel set and if you intend to do some trail blazing I would be going for wider rims so you can get a decent tyre on there for the times you are on holiday and want to have some fun.

Do you intend to go fixed, single speed, or coaster (I am converting my single speed rat bike and roadie to coaster) so I can get the minimalist look about the bike.

The head set I would go for middle of the road quality a decent of bars, and a comfortable saddle and middle of the road seat post.
OI onya bike!!!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:42 am

I will be going single speed, I will leave wheels for last and get as good as I can afford at the time...I was thinking if I went carbon I could use them on my 29er when I ride the odd challenge but 29er has 180mm front disc brakes and the Avid BB7 road discs comes in 160mm...it was a cunning plan.
As for gearing I will try see how I go riding the roadie in the 1 gear and then convert the ratio to single speed gear...should be a good starting point.
With the cranks, there does not seem to be much in the way of single gear options, do most people buy a 2x crank and remove the small cog???
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:48 am

if you are interested in swapping the wheels, enquire with the manufacturer about the maximum front rotor size for the Curve fork. i know quite a few carbon forks have a 180mm rotor limit, so you could run that on both if you desired.
as you say though, a nice set of 29er wheels will get you good width, and usually a decent price. look at Light Bicycle if you're up for chinese carbon wheels (i love mine on my disc CX now disc roadie)

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:03 am

cancan64 wrote:I will be going single speed, I will leave wheels for last and get as good as I can afford at the time...I was thinking if I went carbon I could use them on my 29er when I ride the odd challenge but 29er has 180mm front disc brakes and the Avid BB7 road discs comes in 160mm...it was a cunning plan.
As for gearing I will try see how I go riding the roadie in the 1 gear and then convert the ratio to single speed gear...should be a good starting point.
With the cranks, there does not seem to be much in the way of single gear options, do most people buy a 2x crank and remove the small cog???
Re the cranks - I would go for a good quality that you know is going to take the punishment. Most if not all new cranks these days allow you to change the chain ring so just get the rear cog to suit your needs and you can change the chain ring. Seeing you are doing your research check out what Sheldon Brown has to say about fixies - he talks about gearing for road use, track use and mountain bike use... http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Have fun with your build - just be prepared to pay a lot more then you would if you went onto bike exchange and bought something already done... It is heaps of fun to build your own at least once in your life... :) :shock: :D
OI onya bike!!!

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:39 pm

The Grovel looks good and sscx is a nice way to ride

Main purpose of the bike is an all weather commuter.

Do you really need carbon rims for commuting? I would look at the strongest alloy rims (I prefer a welded rim joint) you can find so you can just build and forget. For simplicity maybe think about going a rear hub which takes a screw on ss freewheel. Much nicer to have a rear wheel without drive side dish and if you get a good quality freewheel like a white industries you will be good to go for years. (I reckon you can get at least 1 WI to 4 Shimano freewheel lives). I have a set of Phil ss kiss hubs and run these bike camping, commuting and racing. If you can afford them, they really are a nice start to building long life wheels
A compact road crankset also works if you drop on a chainring bash guard you can keep the same chainring bolts.
Re braking I run three disc hub wheelsets over two bikes, a cx and a drop bar 29er. All are bb7 with 160 front and rear. 160 gives more than enough stopping power on road, dirt and gravel.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:42 pm

This is my parts list so far...have been watching specials, taking advantage of promotion codes, watching ebay and the 2nd hand market and have started collecting parts
The worst thing so far is watching everyone else at work get there cycling deliveries whilst I wait for my goodies...It's like an early Christmas

Stem 3T ARX team Arrived
bar tape 3T TEAM handlebar tape
Handlebars Carbon 3T Ergosum Team carbon Arrived
Bidon holders Elite x2
Brake lever Sram S900 Ordered
Front brake Avid BB7 Road 160mm Ordered
compressionless cables Jagwire Slick Stainless Hyper Brake Kit
cranks Sram Red 130BCD Ordered
Pedals Shimano M520 off commuter
Chain ring FSA Gimondi 130 BCD 42t
BB Hope SS 68mm English thread/chris king
BB gxp adaptor Hope Bottom Bracket Truvativ GXP Converter
Seatpost FSA SL-K Carbon seat post 27.2
saddle Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow Saddle Ordered
freewheel White industries freewheel 16t

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Looks good! I've ordered a Grovel frame too but will build it up geared.
Andrew

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:09 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:Looks good! I've ordered a Grovel frame too but will build it up geared.
Andrew
there is 20 frames on order...If I ever get back to touring I will put a rear derailleur on, I like the way that you can change the rear drop outs to suit.... I wonder if anyone has ridden the Karakoram highway with a single speed...

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Wow! My use is going to be far less exotic than yours... I'm jealous.... And off to buy a tatts ticket!!

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Nice list canacan
Re the KKH. Easy, the southern part starts about 50 km north from Islamabad. Hills are well a bit hilly but you could do it on about 36/18, so you ride from Islamabad find the highway ride say 500 metres then turn round go back. Once home you say you have ridden the Karakoram Highway on a ss.
Really this would be one great ride and would love to do it but no not on a ss. Shame Pakistan has gone troppo. Great country and people.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 pm

cancan64 wrote: Brake lever Sram S900 Ordered
Front brake Avid BB7 Road 160mm Ordered
Too late to cancel?

TRP Hylex hydro lever/calipers or the cabled Spyre or Hy/Rd or Shimano CX77 would all be better options.

BB7 MTB is fine, BB7 road is janky in comparison to other options. (Hell, BB7MTB and a linear drop lever would be better)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:11 am

baabaa wrote:Nice list canacan
Re the KKH. Easy, the southern part starts about 50 km north from Islamabad. Hills are well a bit hilly but you could do it on about 36/18, so you ride from Islamabad find the highway ride say 500 metres then turn round go back. Once home you say you have ridden the Karakoram Highway on a ss.
Really this would be one great ride and would love to do it but no not on a ss. Shame Pakistan has gone troppo. Great country and people.
I wouldnt try it on a single speed...I think Mt Cootha will be hard enough....I nearly rode the KKH back in the 90's, I meet a couple in Athens that were going over it to Thailand and I was keen to join up with them but my ex wanted to keep going to Italy...I then started planing another trip where I was going to sync the ride with the Australian cricket tour but then the crap started and the tour got moved....might look at the chinese side one day...do the border crossing (want to change from right hand driving to left hand driving) and then head back down.
Blakeylonger wrote:Too late to cancel?
Yep....they are on there way although I got them cheaper new than what they are selling for 2nd hand so will see how they go

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Well I think I have most of the parts that I need now...I can stop checking the various online classifieds every 15min...just waiting for a few deliveries which hopefully will be next week and then waiting on the frame and forks.
Its amazing how the cost adds up quickly, I could have bought a nice used carbon CX bike for the same cost although where is the fun in that...Have also been checking the weight and so far i am at 8166g although there is a couple of things that I havent confirmed the weight of yet or been able to find an estimated weight ...hopeing to keep it under 10kg which I guess is alright for a sort of budget steel disc braked gravel grinder.

Wheel wise I am upgrading the wheelset on my 29er so will use the factory wheels for commuting and was looking at some curve carbon hoops for CX but divorce has put a block on the bank account so will test the Kinesis Crosslight Disc for the time being.
Gearing so far is 42x16 for commuting and CX. I rode to work in a similar gear on the carbon roadie no problems and tried a CX race on the 29er with 42x17 and again had no issues so I guess 42x16 is good for starters.

Now just waiting....tic tic tic tic

2090 Frame Curve Grovel
-580 Forks Curve
-126 Stem 3T ARX team
--70 bar tape 3T TEAM
-192 Handlebars 3T Ergosum Team carbon
--60 Bidon holders Blackburn x2
-252 Brake lever Sram S900
-377 Front brake Avid BB7 Road 180mm
-336 Rear brake Avid BB7 Road 160mm
-240 compressionless cables Jagwire Slick Stainless Hyper Brake Kit
-569 cranks Sram Red 130BCD with FSA Gimondi 42t Chain ring
-343 Pedals Shimano XT XC race
-113 BB Hope SS 68mm English thread
----1 BB gxp adaptor Hope Bottom Bracket Truvativ GXP Converter
-185 seatpost Ritchey WCS carbon
-240 saddle Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow
---- chain KMC Z610 HX
---- Sprocket Shurly 16T
---7 Lock ring Token Alloy lockring
---- SS Kit VeloSolo
-116 Skewers Hope steel rod MTB
---- Commuting Wheelset Cube ZX24 Disc 29
1550 CX Wheelset Kinesis Crosslight Disc V3
-720 CX Tyres Schwalbe Sammy Slick Cyclocross
---- Commuting Tyres Gatorskins 28
8166 Total projected weight todate

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:01 pm

nice spec list. ;)
very keen to see it in the flesh, what's the ETA on the frame?

have got a pair of Kinesis Crosslights coming too... forgot to order the sammy slicks though, doh.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:30 pm

The frame cant be to far away...due an update soon I hope although I might have to keep it at work out west for a while before I can take it to Brisbane...at least there is heaps of dirt roads out here..
By adding the tyres they removed the freight and they had the best price on them as well so a win win.
I will come down to a gold coast cx race once its built...next race is at nundah again now not Nerang

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:40 am

damn, i'll have to make do with my wormdrives for now.
sweet. the next GC CX is TBA heh. hopefully my wheels turn up before the next one, i'll have no excuses not to give it a crack.

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:05 pm

TLDR but man, the bike in that article weighs 2kg less than my SSCX but costs about $2400 more. Think I'll save my $$ and lose 2kg off my body instead

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:48 am

So here is the build so far...although I am missing 2 sort of key parts and still don't have an ETA for them

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:54 am

Picture isn't working mate.
Bikes Bikes Bikes

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:48 pm

No it isn't. .. Try this one

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:48 pm

They've arrived!
Just got an email to say the Grovel frames are at Curve.
Andrew

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:02 am

First ride on the grovel this morning. Commute to the city and the river loop. Just got to get use to no gears now

calblam

Postby calblam » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Love it - looks great!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Its still going strong and used every week... Commuting is heaps for fun on a singlespeed, except when the odd spot where I need more gears and the ability to change wheels and hit the dirt is a bonus.