Ultimate fixie

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Ultimate fixie

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:29 am

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

by BNA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:33 pm

BNA

Re: Ultimate fixie

Postby slidetaker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:33 pm

OMGosh....how fast can these things go? not talking about crazy cadence...
slidetaker

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Has Colin seen this!?
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:23 pm

It's a KH36. Kris Holm (google him) 36" rim with a very fat tyre that probably makes it 40". Isis alloy cranks fitted to splined CrMo hub.

Big wheels are difficult to maneuver, stop or rapidly accelerate. However, this one has a number of factory extras fitted which helps. Caliper brakes (hydraulic is an option also), aero bar which, as well giving some rare space to carry and fit things enables steering in a fairly controlled manner. Ally frame and a weight of only the un-extra'd basic frame, seat and wheel of around 8kg.

Only schrader valves. What use is 120psi with a tyre that puts so much rubber on the road?

However, it looks also to have a custom mod in the bars/rack laying over the top of the crown of the forks and supported by the black and the silver stays down to the hub. Never seen one before.

There is a two speed epicyclic hub (Kris Holm branded Schlumf) that can be factory fitted as well but it is mixed blessing as they are not easy to use. It gives 1:1 and 1:1.5 which would result in 60 gear inches. 60 isn't much in a bike but, on a unicycle, most riders (me included) would really struggle to tame it on a ballroom floor let alone carrying loads on average roads.

There is only so much you can do to enhance a unicycle. This one covers most of what is available. Which is quite common on 36" jobs.

On speed, on my 24" I mostly keep up with and get further than mates riding these in group rides but they should beat me on a country highway over distance. My guess is that the right rider could average 20kph over good distances on good roads and no wind. It can only be a guess by me as I don't ride one and riders the world over claim speeds on flimsy desperate "evidence", much of which would claim them a world record. Mostly it suggests that they are little boys wishing for a bigger, ahem, appendage.

This guy would not be chasing speed.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Actually, looking at the pic of the guy riding it, it is a KH 29". Most of what I have already said goes but it will be a lot more rideable.

Samuel Johnson, on his ride around Australia last year, used different unis according to conditions - 36 where he could and lesser sizing elsewhere.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:28 am

Yikes is there actually room for a rider on that cycle?
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:55 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I mostly keep up with and get further than mates riding these in group rides but they should beat me on a country highway over distance.

I can't imagine there would be too many group uni rides around, would certainly be a sight to see
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:48 pm

bychosis wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I mostly keep up with and get further than mates riding these in group rides but they should beat me on a country highway over distance.

I can't imagine there would be too many group uni rides around, would certainly be a sight to see

These are just rides around Freo, Mandurah, Hillaries, amybe the occasional beachside PSP, etc which I organise to get riders out and about getting used to the stares and brainless walkers, bicyclists and drivers etc. The ride to or from the train is sometimes an opportunity to let rip. As much as you can let rip on a unicycle anyway.
ColinOldnCranky

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed