Fixie tools

gbyzh

Fixie tools

Postby gbyzh » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Got a new fixie a couple of days ago. Just realised today that if I suffer a puncture, I have all the spares necessary to change my tubes/tyres - but no means of actually removing the wheel :lol: *facepalm*

With the hexagonal nuts holding both the front and rear wheel in, can anyone recommend a small-ish tool I can fit into a saddle bag (Brooks Challenge Tool Bag) as my drive socket wrench is too long. Thanks.

A_P

Re: Fixie tools

Postby A_P » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:29 pm

$5 ring spanner from super cheap auto, cut the open end off to save some weight

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:02 pm

A_P wrote:$5 ring spanner from super cheap auto, cut the open end off to save some weight
This is the simplest, solution, you could also grind a tyre lever into the cut down end too...

If you want to spend, look into Surlys Jethro Tule or Pedros Trixie...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:36 am

I have a brookes toolbag and I carry an old fashioned box spanner and small shifter.
OI onya bike!!!

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:43 am

You don't want to cut your axle nut spanner down too far - you need a decent bit of leverage to tighten them up.

And even more than that, you need a decent bit of leverage to loosen them if you did them up tight with a non-cut-down spanner in your workshop.

Anyway, a bog standard 15mm ring spanner will do the job.

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:31 am

If you run chain tensioners then your axle nuts don't need to be as tight, a stubby ring spanner or cut down job will do.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:17 pm

barefoot wrote:You don't want to cut your axle nut spanner down too far - you need a decent bit of leverage to tighten them up.
The extra leverage is your foot & leg. Well, maybe not so if you're... *ahem* barefoot.

+1 to all of the cut down 15mm spanner options. I went a little daft originally and ordered an individual 15mm these from Repco some years back.

aka. 'stubby' spanners or wrenches.

Was about $20 if memory serves. Fits nicely inside my kit bag of choice. Still cheaper than one of the brand-specific options like the Jethro-Tule etc
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Clintoo

Postby Clintoo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:49 pm

there are some fixie "specific" if you like.

http://pedros.com/products/toolsfor-the-ride/trixie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shoptool.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:58 pm

Clintoo wrote:there are some fixie "specific" if you like.

http://pedros.com/products/toolsfor-the-ride/trixie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shoptool.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wouldn't use the trixie 5mm width on a tight axle bolt is not a good mixture you can ruin the axle bolt.
OI onya bike!!!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:13 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:I wouldn't use the trixie 5mm width on a tight axle bolt is not a good mixture you can ruin the axle bolt.

I'm sure after a few uses the 15mm opening would start to misshape ever so slightly and compound the problem. Especially in the hands of the hamfisted. I've been there, done that and I'm hopefully the wiser for it.

For the similar reasons as Gordonhooker states, I'd never personally rely on a crescent/shifter as a 'one size fits all' solution in a tool kit. They're more a last resort or secondary aide (eg holding a bolt head from turning whilst loosening a nut) than a sole dependency.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:56 am

HappyHumber wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:I wouldn't use the trixie 5mm width on a tight axle bolt is not a good mixture you can ruin the axle bolt.

I'm sure after a few uses the 15mm opening would start to misshape ever so slightly and compound the problem. Especially in the hands of the hamfisted. I've been there, done that and I'm hopefully the wiser for it.

For the similar reasons as Gordonhooker states, I'd never personally rely on a crescent/shifter as a 'one size fits all' solution in a tool kit. They're more a last resort or secondary aide (eg holding a bolt head from turning whilst loosening a nut) than a sole dependency.
+1 shifters should only be used as a secondary aid for holding a bolt head. The issue that axle bolts on the rear wheel of a single need to be tight or the wheel will move under load and can throw a chain or a wheel (very rare) if not careful, a decent ring spanner or box spanner is what is needed.
OI onya bike!!!

Clintoo

Postby Clintoo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:37 pm

but as a get out of trouble tool that is always on your bike (rather than a separate spanner that you need to pocket and may or may not have with you). i think it is fine. it is not an everyday tool and may never be used. so as long as you are mindful of its intended purpose I think it is fine.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:47 am

Clintoo wrote:but as a get out of trouble tool that is always on your bike (rather than a separate spanner that you need to pocket and may or may not have with you). i think it is fine. it is not an everyday tool and may never be used. so as long as you are mindful of its intended purpose I think it is fine.
I would never use one so thin on any of my bikes emergency or not. The 6" shifter would be better than that thing.
Last edited by Gordonhooker on Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
OI onya bike!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:07 am

This looks pretty sweet.

http://full-windsorshop.com/products/th ... multi-tool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit pricey, and no idea of functionality though.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:44 am

bychosis wrote:This looks pretty sweet.

http://full-windsorshop.com/products/th ... multi-tool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now that is suite but like you say it is very pricey.
OI onya bike!!!

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Just get a standard spanner $5 and tight it to the rails under the saddle.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
bychosis wrote:This looks pretty sweet.

Now that is suite but like you say it is very pricey.
Wow - nice.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Have used a $5 ring spanner from Kmart with the end cut off for 4 years now.

No drama's.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 pm

I have this from Felt on mine.

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:48 am

I like the idea on the bottle cage mounts.... May copy that one!

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:33 am

I have a couple of cheap fixie tools which I've been trying to find again since this thread started, but they seem to have vanished from the market.

Mine are "Tobe" brand, but I've seen them with at least one other brand name on them. They were about $15 each from a local mail-order place (cyclingdeal? Cell? Torpedo7?). There's two different types.

One has a 15mm pedal spanner on one end (flat, like a slightly thicker cone spanner), a big wide flat (and one would assume useless) tyre lever on the other, a 15mm axle wrench socket in the middle toward one end, and a bottle opener toward the other end. It's generally similar to the Park Tools one:
...but not as nicely made. Nor as expensive. It also has holes at bidon mount spacing. I keep one attached to my commuter.

The other one... I can't remember exactly. It has a fixie lock-ring hook spanner, instead of the pedal wrench IIRC. Also with the 15mm axle nut wrench insert, bottle opener, bidon mount holes, and I guess probably the flat lever blade thing at the other end.

I've had them for several years. The site (whichever site it was) showed a picture of the first style, so I ordered two. Two of the second style arrived. When I chased them up, they let me keep them and sent two of the first style. So I'm all good for fixie tools :-D

But I can't find them again to let you all in on the game :-(

tim

EDIT: Found one of the lockring hook-spanner variant!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 33A1BU3684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still haven't found the pedal wrench variant, which I prefer (because I run my singlespeed commuter with a freewheel, so have no real need for a lockring spanner)