brake levers on a s/s

Endo

brake levers on a s/s

Postby Endo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:16 pm

What kind of 'flat bar' brake levers do you all run on dropbars? I've seen some pretty crazy prices ($80+) for a pair.. I'm thinking more towards $50 for a pair?.. I'm not yet decided if I'm going to run a single front brake or front and rear... Is there any reason to be concerned that you can't slide the lever body past the curves of the bars?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Endo,

You do realise the bikes you see around with only the front brake attached are FIXED gear bikes, don't you? Those guys use their pedals to slow their rear wheel.

SS and Fixed aren't the same thing. SS bikes coast while fixed gear bikes need to have the cranks running whenever the bike is moving.

Putting only a front brake on a SS will ensure you live up to your screen name - eventually.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

thirtytwospokes

Postby thirtytwospokes » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:02 pm

Cross levers. They're usually used to add a secondary set of levers to the flats of the drop-bars (seen on some cyclocross & touring bikes).

There's quite a selection of them at 3 Ring Cycles. I used to have a set of the Salsa levers, which worked very well.

And yeah... run front and rear brakes on an SS (freewheel). Front only if it's fixed is fine.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:14 pm

thirtytwospokes wrote:Cross levers. They're usually used to add a secondary set of levers to the flats of the drop-bars (seen on some cyclocross & touring bikes).
OT: did anyone watch the Women's road race at the Olympics where one of the women riders was using frogs legs levers on her bar tops - Mike Turtur was commentating with Phil Liggett and spent the ENTIRE BLOODY RACE saying "I don't know what that is, I've never seen anything like it, I wonder what they do, they must be some kind of new thing...". Trackies eh, get 'em outside and they're f**kin' useless. :wink:

thirtytwospokes

Postby thirtytwospokes » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:21 pm

rustychisel wrote:OT: did anyone watch the Women's road race at the Olympics where one of the women riders was using frogs legs levers on her bar tops - Mike Turtur was commentating with Phil Liggett and spent the ENTIRE BLOODY RACE saying "I don't know what that is, I've never seen anything like it, I wonder what they do, they must be some kind of new thing...". Trackies eh, get 'em outside and they're f**kin' useless. :wink:
Yup... was watching that. First I felt embarrassed for him... then I just pissed myself laughing instead. ;)

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:35 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Endo,

You do realise the bikes you see around with only the front brake attached are FIXED gear bikes, don't you? Those guys use their pedals to slow their rear wheel.
not always, front brake here, dont use my legs to slow down and havn't endoed yet and dont know anyone who has. It all depends on how you use it

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Okay, I stand corrected. Thanks Tallywhacker.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Endo

Postby Endo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:13 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Endo,

SS and Fixed aren't the same thing. SS bikes coast while fixed gear bikes need to have the cranks running whenever the bike is moving.

Putting only a front brake on a SS will ensure you live up to your screen name - eventually.

Cheers,
Graeme
I didn't know the single braked bikes were mostly fixies. I've come from a MTB background (I've been riding for well over 20 years) and I automatically and unconciously shift my weight rearwards when I brake. Seeing that your front brake usually does most of your braking, I didn't think it would be adding to the stopping distance too much by just having one brake. But point taken.

Are there any shops in Aust that stock decent (but not mega-exy) brake levers?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm

I've bought a few things from Phantom Cycles through their internet site. Torpedo 7 are NZ based, but have an Australian web site, if that helps.

I tend to buy nearly everything from Chain Reaction in the UK though. Great selection of the stuff I want most often, at the prices I'd rather pay. However, I understand if you want to support the Aussie businesses.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:04 pm

Specialized make nice-looking cross brake levers.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

vee_dub

Postby vee_dub » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:56 pm

Pauls Cross levers is nice and simple..I love them but I aint got no money!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:00 am

With drop bars why wouldn't you use proper drop-bar brake levers with hoods? If your bike is the correct size and set-up, riding on the hoods should be the most comfortable general position, and the brakes will be able to be used from the drops too (better for emergency stops).

Bar-top levers (flat bar levers, cross levers) are generally less safe in emergency stops, and can only be used from the one position.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:14 am

Get with the kool kids, Pete! 8) Hoods are for squares, man! :wink:

Brakes are for flakes. Gears are for queers! :P

I think my el-cheapo cross levers were $16 from Chain Reaction earlier this year

super_simian

Postby super_simian » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:45 pm

tallywhacker wrote:not always, front brake here, don't use my legs to slow down and haven't endoed yet and don't know anyone who has. It all depends on how you use it
I run a rear brake on my SS even though I rarely use it, just for redundancy's sake. On a fixed gear w/ a front brake, there are two braking systems, one the front brake, and the other the rider's legs. If the chain breaks, or the rider's feet come unstuck, there is a backup in the form of the front brake. Likewise, if the front brake is the rider's preference, and it fails, resisting the pedals becomes the backup. However, just having a front brake on a SS leaves one coasting into certain doom if it fails. Always have two ways of stopping the bike if possible.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:15 am

super_simian wrote:I run a rear brake on my SS even though I rarely use it, just for redundancy's sake.....
One brake on an SS, rarely used.....
super_simian wrote:However, just having a front brake on a SS leaves one coasting into certain doom if it fails. Always have two ways of stopping the bike if possible.
So what do you do when the one brake on your single speed fails, super_simian? Become redundant?

A lot of people need to differentiate properly between 'single speed' and 'fixed wheel'. Sure, a 'fixed wheel' or 'fixie' is single speed (though Sturmey Archer may have something to say about that), but a Single Speed has a freewheel, right?

Single speeding = freewheelin'

Fixed is fixed

In the words of Graeme Garden....
"GET IT RIGHT!"

(Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:26 am

:D :D :D Ya gotta laugh..

On my fixed I run F+R brakes - both hooded aero on drops with a cross lever inline on the front brake.

I'd contest Pete's statement that the cross-levers only really permit one position of the hand for braking - unlike the traditional hood based levers on the drops.

When just noodling along at a casual pace, I frequently sit with the ball of my hands on or just forward of the bend in the bars behind the hoods; fingers outwards and thumbs in.

I noticed only recently that I could reach the tip of my cross lever with my thumb and operate the brake. Sure it's not the optimum brake position but you can still trim off a lot of speed - especially when doing 'warp factor noodle' :)

I don't believe it's essential to have your hand on the flat bar portion to operate cross levers. However a lot would depends on the mounting position of your levers relative to the c-t-c bar width - but they're a little more versatile than you think.

can I get change for my 2cents?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:56 pm

I ran a BMX lever at the top of my drops on my fixed before changing to risers and I run one near the stem on some Nitto bullhorns. Both is just for front brake. I can press the lever with enough pressure with my thumb when I'm riding in a "hoods" type position.

If you can stop your bike with your legs, it's amazing how quick you can stop down using that + a brake lever.

You should learn how to skid stop on a fixed. It's not so much a cool MASH SF thing, but more about bike control.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:03 pm

HappyHumber wrote::D :D :D Ya gotta laugh..

On my fixed I run F+R brakes - both hooded aero on drops with a cross lever inline on the front brake.

I'd contest Pete's statement that the cross-levers only really permit one position of the hand for braking - unlike the traditional hood based levers on the drops.

When just noodling along at a casual pace, I frequently sit with the ball of my hands on or just forward of the bend in the bars behind the hoods; fingers outwards and thumbs in.

I noticed only recently that I could reach the tip of my cross lever with my thumb and operate the brake. Sure it's not the optimum brake position but you can still trim off a lot of speed - especially when doing 'warp factor noodle' :)

I don't believe it's essential to have your hand on the flat bar portion to operate cross levers. However a lot would depends on the mounting position of your levers relative to the c-t-c bar width - but they're a little more versatile than you think.

can I get change for my 2cents?
But does this alllow safe braking in an emergency? How well can you modulate your brakes with your thumbs?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:52 pm

kukamunga wrote:
super_simian wrote:I run a rear brake on my SS even though I rarely use it, just for redundancy's sake.....
One brake on an SS, rarely used.....
super_simian wrote:However, just having a front brake on a SS leaves one coasting into certain doom if it fails. Always have two ways of stopping the bike if possible.
So what do you do when the one brake on your single speed fails, super_simian? Become redundant?

In the words of Graeme Garden....
"GET IT RIGHT!"

(Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Into the breach he jumps...

Para one states, rear brake on the 1x1 for redundancy is good, no mention of no front that I can see.

Para two of the quote mentioned just a front brake on a 1x1 and then went on to say how dopey you'd hafta be to not have the redundancy.

At least that's how I read it, especially in conjunction with Petes comment about two levers. :wink:

Shaun
Last edited by Mulger bill on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:09 pm

After my mishap on Friday arvo I will be running front and rear on My next S/S build.

2c worth from a crash test DUMMY

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:06 pm

531db wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:I noticed only recently that I could reach the tip of my cross lever with my thumb and operate the brake. Sure it's not the optimum brake position but you can still trim off a lot of speed
But does this alllow safe braking in an emergency? How well can you modulate your brakes with your thumbs?
OK point taken... But, I've only more recently started riding more often on the drops themselves.

I'm about as confident with the reaction time of my index & middle fingers lunging up from the drops - at speed - to the tip of the aero levers/hood levers as I would be noodling along with my thumb and/or my index fingers on solely the front cross lever I have.

Whilst I'm not disputing you, 531db - it just makes me think a bit more. Certainly experience - rather than some of the more fashion wary forces of the latest urban cycling bandwagon - counts for more.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:18 pm

Tektro' bmx' style levers nice and low profile 7 bucks each at glenelg cycles...you can buy left or right too. seem to be running 'em out. please form an orderly queue behind the line.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:19 am

HappyHumber wrote:I'm about as confident with the reaction time of my index & middle fingers lunging up from the drops - at speed - to the tip of the aero levers/hood levers as I would be noodling along with my thumb and/or my index fingers on solely the front cross lever I have.
I ride mostly in the drops and replaced my cross lever with a reverse tt lever. Works quite nicely

super_simian

Postby super_simian » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:19 pm

kukamunga wrote: One brake on an SS, rarely used.....
No, a rear in addition to the front, you !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, otherwise I would be ignoring my own advice, wouldn't I?
kukamunga wrote:So what do you do when the one brake on your single speed fails, super_simian? Become redundant?
No, asshat, when one brake fails, which it has, I use the other. R-E-D-U-N-D-A-N-C-Y, say it with me.

kukamunga wrote:A lot of people need to differentiate properly between 'single speed' and 'fixed wheel'. Sure, a 'fixed wheel' or 'fixie' is single speed (though Sturmey Archer may have something to say about that), but a Single Speed has a freewheel, right?

Single speeding = freewheelin'

Fixed is fixed
Most people do, you could try reading posts a bit more carefully, and really considering what is being said, instead of acting like a smart alec.

kukamunga wrote:(Please correct me if I'm wrong!)
DONE!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:52 pm

super_simian wrote:instead of acting like a smart alec.
Pot --> Kettle "Black!"

Kukamunga was a bit sharp, and lax, I'll agree, but you, sir, were damned rude!!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."