Clip-in Pedal choices for SS

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi all,

I've got a '15 Fuji Track I use for occasional commuting and general fun riding (probably only ~60-70km a week). Its running the factory pedals, metal Wellgo track-style with plastic toe clips & single nylon straps. While they're pretty good, I find them a little flimsy & they squash/flex a bit. Also they sometimes seem a bit short, depending what shoes I wear.

I've tried to price up plastic double toe clips but can only find All City and no local supplier. The Australian distributors both went silent on me and I gave up. Adding the cost of quality double laminated straps as well the whole thing gets pretty pricey.

My mate I usually ride with had some Shimano road shoes and SPD SL type pedals sitting around so he whacked them on his bike the other week. Apart from taking some getting used to clipping in & out, overall he rates them well over his previous Velcro strap style platform pedals.

Looking into it I see there's SPD SL and SPD options, with various pedals in each category. On top of that there are various different shoes out there too. I am thinking I'd prefer SPD so I can run a more 'casual' type shoe (like a Giro Republic) and I can still easily walk around in if needed. However I realise these are traditionally more for MTB guys and can possibly cause foot pain in some people/circumstances.

Just wondering what others are using if they are running SPD or SPD SL pedals and shoes on their SS (or fixie)? Just hoping to get some insight from people before possibly wasting money on all of it!

cheers
Ant

herzog

Re: Clip-in Pedal choices for SS

Postby herzog » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Spd is far more suitable for your type of riding.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:46 pm

I use SPD pedals on my SS commuter.. easier when you have to walk around,
Shoe wise I have some cheap shimano lace up shoes, they look like runners and are comfortable on and off the bike... I also find clipping in and out a lot easier than when I use the road bike which has road pedals... I also have a pair of shimano spd sandles for trips down the park in summer although they are a bit heavy
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:58 pm

I had a set of the hipster velcro strap things on my SS and hated them. I have pretty wide feet, so they just made my feet wider and would rub against the crank arm, or leave my foot hanging halfway off the pedal. Switched them out for a set of SPD's I had laying around and it's much nicer...not that I ride my SS much.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Shimano SPD is a reliable option for SS/fixed riding if your other bikes use the same pedal system. I usually use Giro Rumble VRs with my SPDs on my fixed gear, but lately have been just running platform pedals with a large strap for sneaker compatibility

All the messengers and serious fixed gear crowd appear to use Time ATAC because it's a bit more secure, and you can swap each foot's cleat with the other for even more security
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:32 pm

I use the m520 spds for commuting, mostly done on SS but several hundred km as fixed as well, after I kept killing freewheel sprockets and cracked it. I'm in shimano Mt 42 shoes, pretty casual but do the job. All good.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:07 am

I have some cheap M520s and cleats going in my for sale thread. Just sayin' ....

E

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:19 am

^ Good value, if you can pick them up to save postage.
The A530's are ok too. They have been discussed several times on here.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:47 pm

As somebody who has used all three (and more) pedal systems on their single speed and other bikes, here is my opinion.

SPD SL and other road pedals like my Look Keos. Good solid platform to engage with, best pedal/cleat combination to ride in, absolute pain to try and walk anywhere. I will only use when more than 99%+ of distance is going to be on the bike.

SPD, will not ride an MTB without them, give you much more control. For commuting they are easier to use being doubled sided. If SPD caused issues MTBers would use use road pedals, none do. Most SPD shoes are designed to ride in, walking in secondary, so still a pain to walk anywhere.

Flats with steel toe clips and single straps, what is currently fitted to my single speed. Because I am happy to put on a pair of Chuck Taylors, commute the 40kms to work, then after work ride across town to a bar to meet mates, lock bike outside (would not be willing to do that to most my other bikes), go inside without changing shoes and have a few drinks.

Beartraps, flat BMX pedals with spikes, fitted to my rat single speed for the 2km trip to train station. Not as good as toe clips, but work with all my shoes (though the do badly mark leather soles).

Personally I would say stick with toe clips, far more practical as the occasional riding pedals.

Road cleats are just impractical for short commutes or anytime off the bike.

So the only clip in pedals you need to look at is SPDs or equivalents like Eggbeaters. I would only do it if you wanted more control over the bike, as the pedalling efficiency gains are only significant if you are racing. You lose a bit of efficiency but gain more options off the bike.