Why SS/Fixie

Humphrey

Re: Why SS/Fixie

Postby Humphrey » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:49 am

I live beside Brisbane Waters and go to the pool at WoyWoy every day.

The cycle way is beside the water all the way. Sea level. About twenty klms round trip.
I am currently riding a large frame old road bike which I have fitted flat bars. And using two gears At most.

Building my fitness after heart surgery to replace my aortic valve.

Why bother with the maintainence dramas.

Recently bought a justrideit alloy framed fixie from gum tree.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:14 pm

On the other hand, for me commuting on a fixie makes me think about the joys of gears. No dramas getting started, no dramas with potentially clipping a pedal, and (IMHO) more safety in extreme situations as you can bunny hop more easily, move your weight around more easily, etc. I dropped the front wheel into a hidden gap between two concrete slabs in the path while cruising home from track racing last week and ended up just missing a sign and then veering down a ramp and the wrong way into a bike lane. It's the second time something like that has happened to me on a fixie (the first on my old track bike which was a forgiving Giant Bowery converted to track gearing) and yet nothing like that has ever happened in all the time I have commuted or worked on a geared bike.

Obviously people love fixies and I know the attraction (I get it myself, although more on the racing side) but I just thought I'd throw in the other side.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:54 pm

Riding SS is a no brainer really. until you try you will never understand, I am on my 3rd SS now after loosing 2 in a shed fire last year.
New ride is a State Cycle black and chrome with 46-16 (76in) gearing and most days I would rather ride it than my 2015 Giant Defy Advanced
Pro 0 (7.5kg of carbon with Di2 Ultegra). SS is really such a sweet ride and the gearing can handle up to around 9-10% as long as it doesn't
go for to long? Anyone who hasn't tried JUST DO IT!
It's not wind, it's a training aid.