Disc brake front fork?

bigfriendlyvegan

Disc brake front fork?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:19 pm

I've been commuting on a fixie lately which I'm trying to "dial in" to use as a rain bike. It's a cro-mo bike with track dropouts and I can run a rack on the back (which I have done) as well as fenders (not done yet). The front fork is currently a carbon fork without eyelets (not a big issue), but with a steerer that's a tad too short for me. As such, I need a new fork, and I've been thinking of a road disc fork, like a Soma or similar.

Anyone else running this sort of set up? Nuts or a good idea? Recommendations for a front disc fork?

find_bruce

Re: Disc brake front fork?

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:47 pm

My commuter has a dimension cro-mo disc fork, but it is currently out of stock at Jenson USA.

I would describe it as resembling its owner, effective, functional, overweight, not a thing of beauty.

I have never seen a cro-mo disc fork that has the features I like about a road fork, the curve and taper that gives it that lovely supple ride. I suspect it might be something to do with the forces at work when braking, but I am no engineer so will leave that issue for others. There are carbon forks, but I know nothing about these either.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:06 pm

I've also got one of those Dimension forks. Had it since 2010. A to C is a bit long for a road bike, but it's a strong fork in regard to fork flex while standing. So if you adjust your cable disc pads back enough, you shouldn't get disc pad rub while standing. That's with a 185 disc too.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:55 pm

IIRC the recommendation from nobody was why I went with the dimension fork. If seems everyone is out of stock ATM though - presume it is a production issue.

A to C is great if you want to fit guards or bigger tyres. In commuter trim I run 32 or 38mm with guards and in occasional duty as a gravel grinder, sans guards, 42 mm smart sam knobblies just fit, 47mm knobblies just don't.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:05 pm

Lots of Polo bikes run front disc brake only and they are all good. Just do it

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:39 pm

find_bruce wrote:My commuter has a dimension cro-mo disc fork, but it is currently out of stock at Jenson USA.

I would describe it as resembling its owner, effective, functional, overweight, not a thing of beauty.

I have never seen a cro-mo disc fork that has the features I like about a road fork, the curve and taper that gives it that lovely supple ride. I suspect it might be something to do with the forces at work when braking, but I am no engineer so will leave that issue for others. There are carbon forks, but I know nothing about these either.
The closest I've seen to the sort of disk fork you'd maybe like is on the Elephant NFE. Slim tapered steel disk forks have been seen to unrake themselves under braking, which is why they are either braced like the NFE or built more sturdily.