old nail in shed, will it convert?

sittingbison

old nail in shed, will it convert?

Postby sittingbison » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:17 am

While I've been whiling away the days waiting for the blessed moment when my cast is removed I have been reading about fixies in this forum and pondering a project - I'm actually quite excited.

My original bike, a slightly smaller frame (also steel) than I have now, is believe it or not still in the shed. It is over 25 years old, nice in its day, geometry is rather rakish. Its a lean mean machine (5 sprockets), a bit like how the Raleigh Europa looked (my lust wagon) when I were a lad. It is a bit battered with age, but appears not too badly weathered or rusted. On the surface this appears to be a candidate for a fixie conversion.

In your experience, should I go to the trouble of getting the lugs/braze-ons removed (like the shifters), get it sand blasted and painted, and begin the fixie conversion process? Or is it in fact a clapped out wreck ready for the scrap yard, and a more modern frame is really required. I'll try to post a pic this weekend.

Any advice welcome.

cheers
Adrian
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:59 am

Worry about the aesthetics like paint, braze ons etc later - get your mitts greasy and learn some of the mechanical side of things first. That, to me, was the most gratifying part of my first SS and then later FG build. Get a working machine up & running before you fret about cosmetics.

Read some of Sheldon Brown's articles at his site about what it takes to build/convert a bike. His pages have been the start of many peoples learning, including my own.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:23 pm

I agree with HH.

I also - somewhat firmly - believe in keeping a frame and forks in its original livery unless it's too far gone, but I have no idea how to quantify that. Which is why I have a 1964 Super Elliot in shocking condition, but I love the patina, the history, the hard work the bike has done. I've not been able to make up my mind for over a year about having it restored and resprayed.

Anyway, tear your bike apart, clean and polish everything up and learn a lot about it in the meantime. Make it a fixed, it's actually very easy, but you'll need to be able to get the gear cluster off, and shorten the chain (as a minimum amount of work). The back wheel would almost certainly need the dish (offset) taken out - it's acceptable to ask the competent LBS to do this for you if you lack the experience, and they'll likely charge about $30 unless there's major issues (such as frozen spokes).

The blast from riding a bike which you built, and knowing all it's secrets, is pretty high.

http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/cyclo/Stev ... re.web.jpg

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:53 pm

Check out my "Ricky The Rat" Ricardo in the first page of this thread..... he's back on the road as is, now with 46 x 17. I average just under 200km a week commuting on this beast. Not bad for a kerbside find in Leeming about 18 months ago.

I will get around to stripping & powdercoating him one day - but there's more pressing things afoot demanding my time & money.

I think worrying about aesthetics too much is what makes the difference between a fixed gear revival and a fixed gear fad.

Love your Super Elliot, Chis.
--

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:10 pm

OH NO!!! :!:

My brother has tossed out my bike!!! :oops:

He thought because the cassette was obsolete, it was junk!!!! :evil:

So back to the drawing board. :?:

Thanks for the advice, I agree with the sentiment totally. The only reason I wanted to do it was get my hands dirty and CREATE something useful out of not much. :idea: Especially as I feel so useless at the moment. :(

Sigh. :cry:
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:16 pm

sittingbison wrote:My brother has tossed out my bike!!! :oops:
I wonder if someone 'rescued' it from your kerb? :)

Nah... another likely candidate I'm sure isn't too far away. Duck into your nearest Salvos or Vinnies store every now and then... or take a meandering detour through a suburb if you see a bit of junk out on some verges come bulk rubbish collection Have a read up on the frame characteristics you need to convert (drop out types etc) and develop a sense of what to look for.

I actually enjoy picking up a bike and stripping it down over a beer or two of an evening. But it's got the point I'm pretty fussy what I pick up these days. I tend to strip them - assess the bits as they come off. If any of them are better than my previous stock of spares I keep 'em and ditch the rest.
Last edited by HappyHumber on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:35 pm

sittingbison wrote:OH NO!!! :!:

My brother has tossed out my bike!!! :oops:

He thought because the cassette was obsolete, it was junk!!!! :evil:
They're still about if you want to keep running the 5 cog cassette. Like I do :D

A shame about your bike being tossed out :( . We just have to hope some other enthusiast is now trying to work out what to do with their new find :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:33 pm

I rang him to get a pic (I'm a cripple at the moment) and he gave me the bad news - it's definitely gone. He did the deed personally.

Another bit of my history down the toilet :cry:, reminds me of going home one day and discovering mum had given my Biggles books and Commando Comic (also War in Pictures) collection to the second hand book shop :x .

Oh well, I'm still keen on doing a fixie, I'll just have to keep the eyes peeled for another nail. 8)

Jr Dacks

Postby Jr Dacks » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:38 pm

When is it roadside collection in Subi? Ive seen a bit of rubbish out the front lately so it may be soon.
Im gonna try scab a few old frames to build up as fixies and single speeds and try palm them off to some "hipsters". Ill keep my eyes out for ya if you want.
if it's not fixed it's broken

brauluver

Re: old nail in shed, will it convert?

Postby brauluver » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:55 pm

[quote"sittingbison" the Raleigh Europa looked (my lust wagon) when I were a lad.
[/quote]

Maybe it's time to fulfill your lustfull teen desires instead.

pawn shops and e bay maybe worth a try

sittingbison

Re: old nail in shed, will it convert?

Postby sittingbison » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:03 pm

brauluver wrote:...Maybe it's time to fulfill your lustfull teen desires instead. pawn shops and e bay maybe worth a try...
hehe, I don't think ebay could fulfill my lustfull teen desires, though a visit to a pawn shop might do the trick.... :wink: