700c Rear, 26" Front

elfoam

700c Rear, 26" Front

Postby elfoam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:19 am

Any of you guys built a bike like that?. It looks like it would work out on the next frame Im putting togther. Far easier to score 26" wheels at the tip too. Ill bolt it up and see how it rolls and steers.

HappyHumber

Re: 700c Rear, 26" Front

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:21 am

why not? mongrel builds are always a bit of fun.
just don't expect nice handling when cornering or good perfect tracking for no-hands riding when going straight.

theoretically higher risk of pedal strike by dropping the BB height a smidge if one wheel is lower. More an issue fixed than SS.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:39 pm

Confidence inspiring !, I thought everyone would be like, itll be rubbish and ride like a disaster. Very few of my bikes are happy with no hands riding but I much prefer twitchy bikes anyway. Last night I tried bolting a 26 with 27" road fork and then a 26 + 26 vintage mtb fork. Both look weird. Both give very different geometry but both look still within the bounds of standard ridable geometries so far at least with a tall tyre. Its funny how different size wheels mess with you brain on a bike yet same size wheels would look equally weird on a motocross bike. And im still wondering why mtb's arent running 26" rear a 29 front.. It surely has to be the best setup for them.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:45 pm

They were around for a while, dubbed 69ers.

Whether it's the best of both worlds or simply ugly and not particularly effective depends on what you want from the bike.

While it's harder to loft the front on a 29er because of the longer rear, they work better overall as a distance muncher as the rear doesn't drop into holes as much as the smaller wheel. Given that it bears most of your weight, that helps conserve momentum. This enables you to go faster for longer with less effort.

And I prefer the feeling of being "in" the bike rather than perched on top like I am with the smaller wheel(s).

YMMV. MIne certainly does. :mrgreen:

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:21 pm

will it enable barspinz?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:28 am

Been sitting here for a couple weeks pondering this idea, looking at the bike with different bits sitting on it. I've decided 26" rear 700c front with a 26" vintage mtb fork looks most pleasing/right to my eye. The frame is what you would call a very average teenagers 10 speed from the early 80s. Not sure what bars I'll use but I'm going to try and make a bomb proof bike that can go anywhere. Got no idea how it will ride:p. I have a few other bikes to get functional first but I might move this up the list since its interesting me. I've had a 700c on only the front of my good 26" mtb before and it becomes a much faster bike on the road but I haven't tried that off road, lets see.