Fixie in Melbourne Traffic

Newcastle Dave

Fixie in Melbourne Traffic

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:49 pm

A question for Fixie riders (not Single Speed).
My son has a new bike that was built around a track frame and includes a flip flop (fixie/SS) hub. He uses this for commuting from Richmond to RMIT and also as a general commuting bike. He insists on running it fixed, but I reckon that this makes it inherently less safe when dicing with Melbourne traffic.

Thoughts ?

HappyHumber

Re: Fixie in Melbourne Traffic

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:05 pm

I have no issue with riding a fixed wheel in traffic, as long as its fitted with least a front brake. Just like a car, that's where most of your stopping power is. I merely modulate my speed with my legs. Never really been a skidder. I have variously commuted on different FG bikes of my own construction on and off for the last 8 years here in Perth.

Personally, I think the issue with you sons bike should be brakes rather than whether its fixed or freewheel. This may well come down to how much of a fashion tragic your young bloke is.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:29 pm

I've ridden my fixie in Newcastle traffic, so the traffic is likely lighter. I'm not keen on it, but I'm sure with more practice it'd be second nature. after all, those crazy bike couriers all run fixed don't they?

Definitely fit a brake though.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Fixed Gear around Melbourne is great fun. I run 72 GI on one bike and 76 the other and don't have much trouble but for noobs, maybe look at 68-70 GI.

He'll need brakes.

He may never use them but he needs them.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:44 pm

+1 to Mulger Bill ratios

That's what I've always run or within ~5 traditional gear inches to and fro along the Perth coastal plain which is pretty flat.

Your son should ride a more sensible road ratio for a fixed setup. You can have the look of a track bike, but track ratios aren't suitable for every day, on road use.

If he's pushing the brakeless aesthetic - lower ratios are also easier to skid on.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Wollemi

Postby Wollemi » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:24 pm

Reading back through the forum, wanting to learn more about fixies.

What does GI mean as in; 'I run 72 GI on one bike and 76 the other' ?

Does it apply to cycling my other bicycles with gears?
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:41 pm

GI is gear inches. A method of determining the ratio of pedalling to ground speed. It includes wheel size so you can compare gears between wheel sizes. Yes, it applies to all bicycle gears, fixed, single or multi gear.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Edit: sorry, I was thinking about gain not GI. Duh.

Here’s a basic calculator that tells you how many gear inches you get with which sprocket, chainring and tyre size: https://allcitycycles.com/calc

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:58 pm

You know your among trackies when they gather round in corners and mumble numbers at each other.

Fixed gears rather than single speed give you a real appreciation of the plusses and minuses of different gears. It is all well and good to talk about grinding and spinning but when you find yourself having to work to get up a hill and you wish it was easier, you then turn around and find that you can barely keep your feet on the pedals and you wish the gear was harder.

For road use I've gone as low as 65GI but was more commonly 70GI. Racing on the track I would be anywhere from 88 - 100 GI.

Cheers,

Cameron

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:11 am

I run a single speed to commute into work

82 GIs currently, but Perths pretty flat.

What i learnt recently is tire width impacts make a difference!

ie, running a 50/16 with 28mm compared to 40mm is not the same thing!

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:19 am

jaseyjase wrote:I run a single speed to commute into work
Harden up, Jase. :P

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am

47/17 aka 72" is the magic number for street riding, IMHO
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

rogerzilla

Postby rogerzilla » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:36 pm

Once you remember to pedal while braking, the other issue in traffic is stopping with the pedals in a good position to restart. Assuming you always start with the same foot, this only happens every 6 yards or so. You can either make sure you stop in the right place each time (can be rather short of stop/give way lines) or stop anyhow, then lock the front wheel, lift the rear wheel and turn the cranks to where you want them. The first option looks slicker, but in an unplanned stop you don't get the choice.

On a fixie it's easy to trickle along in slow traffic with one foot unclipped and hanging, because the bike keeps the pedals going in a circle. This can be useful if you have pedals that are a bit fussy to clip in and out of.