Single Speed??

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:39 am

nothing to fathom. as V&N said its not rocket science, you get on and pedal. After the first couple of times trying to coast you learn. Geez, if hipsters can work it out then anyone can :wink:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:42 am

It was a joke TW. Looks as easy as falling of a log to me. :)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Endo

Postby Endo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:07 pm

Kalgrm wrote:It was a joke TW. Looks as easy as falling of a log to me. :)
That's pretty difficult actually... well, it also depends on how large the log is. Keep in mind, that for a log to fall, you'd need to increase it's potential energy which would require you displacing it to higher ground.. only then could it fall... :twisted:

Falling OFF a log is much simplier IMO :lol:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Pedant .... ;)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

_Certo_

Postby _Certo_ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:36 pm

[rant]I don't get how people think riding fixed is so freaking hard. You don't stop pedalling. that's it. you don't have solve crazy maths or learn to speak french, you just don't stop pedalling. Simple. If you're scared about stopping, use front and rear brakes, if you're a bit "wild" use a front brake and if you really wanted, use no brakes.
ohhhh so you don't stop pedalling? Thanks, now i get it :roll:

I dont think its hard, but what i stuggle with something like going down a large hill on something which is essential a road bike with a fixed gear, i can imagine it would be pretty uncomfortable and roadrunner esqe. Also in a situation where a car pushes into my lane, my fist reaction is to glide and apply the brakes. Wouldnt you have to slow your cadence down quickly and apply brake pressure? I'd end up over the handlebars

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:53 pm

practice. I have found that riding fixed gear teaches you to pedal properly (he says to the howls from gearies) and because of the inability to coast you (I at least) tend to be nore aware of what is happening on the road. Of course its hard to allow for the car that hits you from behind or t-bones you at an intersection.

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:36 am

_Certo_ wrote:
[rant]I don't get how people think riding fixed is so freaking hard. You don't stop pedalling. that's it. you don't have solve crazy maths or learn to speak french, you just don't stop pedalling. Simple. If you're scared about stopping, use front and rear brakes, if you're a bit "wild" use a front brake and if you really wanted, use no brakes.
ohhhh so you don't stop pedalling? Thanks, now i get it :roll:

I dont think its hard, but what i stuggle with something like going down a large hill on something which is essential a road bike with a fixed gear, i can imagine it would be pretty uncomfortable and roadrunner esqe. Also in a situation where a car pushes into my lane, my fist reaction is to glide and apply the brakes. Wouldnt you have to slow your cadence down quickly and apply brake pressure? I'd end up over the handlebars
You lock your legs.

It stops you pretty qucik.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

Endo

Postby Endo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:40 am

I wouldn't like to pedal through corners....

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:49 am

Track bikes have a higher bottom bracket and shorter crank arms (165mm) to make this easier.

I have had pedal strike twice, and one of those was when I was riding up an indoor carpark. And I'm running 171mmm crank arms!

You get used to pedalling though corners, over bumps, etc.
Last edited by Verbs & Nouns on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:52 am

Endo wrote:I wouldn't like to pedal through corners....

I've been training myself to pedal through corners, to keep my momentum up, even though i'm riding geared.

Good practice.