Living with a velomobile

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:04 pm

zebee wrote:I do worry about the size of a velo on the paths though. I suspect it would be a bit wide for the Copenhagen lanes in the city in peak for example, and it would take up quite a lot of the Shrimpton Ck path.

I have had the pleasure of ridding with recumbenteer around a fair bit of Sydney & I have been impressed at how well he can avoid most obstacles, the cycleways in the CBD are no problem & Shrimpton Ck would be tight but ok.

Only a couple of places were not. M4 overpass at Pomeroy St & the Cooks river birgde near Wills Ground both required recumbenteer to get out to lift the RV around the obstacles
ImageImage

He had to detour around the Canterbury Rd underpass though :D

Only thing I dislike is that he is impossible to get a tow - the draft only comes up to my knees.
find_bruce

by BNA » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 pm

BNA

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 pm

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby zebee » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:09 pm

Find_bruce the M4 crossing is on my usual ride to one commuting destination, and the bridges you mention are on the way to the other destination!

I notice the M4 one on my Bacchetta because I have to stop and wriggle it round. I can manage the river underpass and the wooden bridge although the bridge can be tricky going uphill on the U turn side. Sometimes I make it cleanly most times I have to paddle.

Given I notice the aero difference between the 'bent and the Brompton, I guess a Velo's streamlining would be noticeable.

I really would love to try one but somehow I suspect one set up for someone a foot taller than I am isn't going to work!
zebee

Postby AGFchairman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:06 am

That is a great shot of a nice set up Riggsbie. Safe velonaughting to you. Tex

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
AGFchairman

Postby AGFchairman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:45 am

Once I've worked out how to format my of document so this forum accepts it I'll post the specs on the Milan SL CAS I've ordered.

Using Tapatalk
AGFchairman

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:09 pm

AGFchairman wrote:Once I've worked out how to format my of document so this forum accepts it I'll post the specs on the Milan SL CAS I've ordered.

Welcome to the forum :-)

The specs of your Milan will be most interesting. Also your height, X-seam and shoe size please.
Rhubarb

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Yep, also when/where do we have our first interstate Velonaut AGM ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Riggsbie

Postby AGFchairman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:14 pm

A meet up somewhere FLAT AND FAST would be good.

Using Tapatalk
AGFchairman

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:55 am

Canadian pricing for the Milan and Milan SL has been released.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:53 pm

Aushiker wrote:Canadian pricing for the Milan and Milan SL has been released.

Andrew

So when are you placing your order Andrew ?
Rhubarb

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:12 pm

There's a fine line between you lot and exhibitionist drag queens I reckon. You seem to be relishing the attention just that bit too much

;)
Do you enjoy talking in circles? Love arguing over silly semantics with like minded people?
Try an online forum today!
HappyHumber

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Canadian pricing for the Milan and Milan SL has been released.

Andrew

So when are you placing your order Andrew ?

Not for awhile ... savings are progressing but have to hide them :) They got raided last year so back to square one a few months back :(

That said a Milan is not on my shopping list ... It will be a Mango or a Ocean Cycles but built on a Vortex platform. This option really depends on how things work in this build documented at Bentrider, i.e., the rider copes with the hot weather.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:32 pm

HappyHumber wrote:There's a fine line between you lot and exhibitionist drag queens I reckon. You seem to be relishing the attention just that bit too much

;)

Rhubarb is also my stage name ;-)
Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Andrew

Yep been there
Rhubarb

Postby AGFchairman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:49 am

Geebus! And you want me to paint up my Milan as a Smaug?!

Using Tapatalk
AGFchairman

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:02 am

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:04 am

Radical Designs have manufactured a bike cover for the Mango Sport and Plus

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:28 am

That'd be like clothes for the bike, surely you ride your velo nude?

On other news, for WA velo voyeurs at least, that gent who lives in Kwinana with the blue homebuilt velo fairing will again be riding his machine on the Freeway Bike Hike of 23rd March. He'll be riding from SOR.
just4tehhalibut

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:41 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:velo voyeurs.
Mmm.. I wonder how many other such people are yet to come out of the closet?
But then again, maybe this affliction isn't something to be proud of. Perhaps the authorities need to establish an offenders register.
Do you enjoy talking in circles? Love arguing over silly semantics with like minded people?
Try an online forum today!
HappyHumber

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:13 pm

AGFchairman wrote:Geebus! And you want me to paint up my Milan as a Smaug?!

Canadian built Milan SL ...

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Bartek » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:22 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:On other news, for WA velo voyeurs at least, that gent who lives in Kwinana with the blue homebuilt velo fairing will again be riding his machine on the Freeway Bike Hike of 23rd March. He'll be riding from SOR.

Me 2, just signed up. Was thinking of the 80km version.......but as I will have to cycle to the start and then home again after I think the 30km will do as that will be 100km for the day!

Edit: I have worked why the Milan is so appealing, with the addition of some well placed graphics it could be P o r n o graphic! there is a definite female look to it!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350
Bartek

Postby Bartek » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:31 pm

Sorry, but this is rather a long post!

Well I have been “Living with a Velomobile” for Twelve months now and my biggest regret is not being able to get one sooner! In the past twelve months I have clocked up 4356km, mainly commuting to work (saving fuel, keeping fit). I serviced it after 500km then at 1000km and every 1000km since, I wash it a little bit more often especially inside because it can start to smell a bit ‘funky’ otherwise.

Completed two charity rides, the organised “Ocean ride for MS” was more fun but harder to organise getting there and back. The self-paced “Great cycle challenge” wasn’t as much fun, but didn’t require anything other than clocking my usual rides.

Had my first ‘bump’, slow speed fairly minor damage (still haven’t fixed it). Reminder: keep your eyes on where you are going not on the scenery! even at low speeds.

Had three punctures one in the very first month and two in the last, can’t really complain, they are easy to fix, but they have all been in the front offside wheel. Front tyres are Schwalbe Kojak’s they have been cut up a bit from time spent riding the so-called cycle lanes hereabouts, but are generally wearing well. The rear is a Schwalbe Marathon Racer which doesn’t seem to be showing any signs of wear at all!

Had only two near misses, but the worrying thing is both happened just after I fitted the front and rear cameras!

Things I have added: foam neck/head cushion, B&M Phone mount, Garmin Edge 500 & mount, Wahoo Speed & Cadence sensor (spliced), garage remote, Lepai Tripath Stereo Amplifier, 4 Dayton sound exciters, 2 Pyle tweeters, 3 spare batteries

The only thing I ordered with the Mango that I haven’t used is the tow-ball, can’t bring myself to attach the trailer! but if I ever change my mind it is there.

One thing I wish I had ordered is the mid-drive dynamo and dual battery system (maybe next time!)

With Da Hood on it is fastest and coolest looking! but very warm inside and the least sociable (cant really wave to people or pose for pictures/video)

With no top on it is the most fun, but you are open to the elements (rain/sun)

With the Flexible roof on it is the slowest but does offer some protection from the elements.

Haven’t really cycled with the ‘bib’ on, only use it to seal up the Mango from the elements or prying eyes when parked outside.

I mainly use it for commuting to work and have no problems carrying all I need for work inside, at work I can park it securely indoors. I have gone shopping with it but only when accompanied, so I can leave someone watching it or alone when I know I can watch it from the shop I am visiting. I love taking it for coffee runs as it still causes a bit of a stir at my local beach-side coffee shop with people coming up and asking questions or taking photos or video. Only had to ask one mother to control her child when ‘looking’ and two adult males recently (on the same day about 10 mins apart) not to pull the hard top off to look inside without asking.

The majority of reactions are positive and supporting, things like “cool bike” “that’s amazing, what is it?” “that is the most beautiful bike I have ever seen”. On the road I get a lot of thumbs up, positive shouts, waves and pleasant toots of the horn. Even my wife and three children think it is a very cool, beautiful machine.

I would estimate that lot less than 1% of drivers react negatively but I have had a water bottle thrown at me, a scooter pillion passenger hit the shell with his hand as they drove past, a few “get off the road” shouts and a few blaring of horns. In general this is a very small number and not worth bothering about.

I have been stopped by the Police twice and I can happily report not charged with anything, even though one officer apparently trawled through the regulations with a fine tooth-comb to try to find something.

Issues – very few, I broke the foam that retains the steering tiller and had a few failed attempts to glue on a new one. Then Paul told me to ease the tiller round the foam rather than forcing it through it, and it hasn’t broken since.

I had some difficulty adjusting the rear derailleur after it had been run in and stretched a bit, the LBS’s didn’t want to attempt it. After watching a you-tube guide on the adjustments I managed it myself with the help of having my Tablet next to me through the operation.

I broke my first wheel cover last week and the other two are looking weak, so I am looking for some fibre-glass rod at the moment.

Yesterday I noticed my brake light wasn’t working so will have to have look at that.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase, it is well worth the money and would thoroughly recommend “Living with a Velomobile”
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350
Bartek

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Kite fibre glass rods are what you want
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

PreviousNext

Return to Recumbents