Is anyone riding the Otway Classic on a recumbent?

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Is anyone riding the Otway Classic on a recumbent?

Postby Gregory_carroll » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi Folks

I am thinking about doing the Otway Classic on my recumbent, I fancy being able to draft, is is anyone else doing it?
or
Has anyone done it? How hilly is it?

Greg
Lovin the Challenge!!
Gregory_carroll

by BNA » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:40 pm

BNA

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:40 pm

Just checked the Otway Classic site out. Yeah, different start 'zones', looks good! Dunno how my bent would go, I hear from my DF mates that it is a hilly course. If I commit to it, I'll have to request that W/E off from work.
145 k's is doable for me, but my bent is on the heavy side, so maybe a bit slower on the climbs. Maybe a trike would be better?
What are thinking of riding, and what is your normal type of speeds?
For straight flat riding, I guess I'd be looking at 26-28 kph, and slower up hills! Trike is about a 1-2 k's slower.
I'm assuming that 'bents are allowed? I see that it's not an Audax ride?
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor
Freddyflatfoot

Postby Matt_Matt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:09 pm

I won't be there on a bent ... but here is the 145km profile

Matt
Matt_Matt

Postby fredinver » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:59 pm

I rode last year on the wedgie and would ride it again on the Attack but have to be on call for work that weekend. Lavers Hill is a big climb and doable on either bent bike or trike. Many other riders walk the hill anyway. The downhill would be great on either just look out for the tight corner right at the GOR. The split start is partly usefull and seperates the field a far bit but is not strickly enforced so if you are in a different group to a mate it is easy to join up before the ride and head off togather. I don't remeber seeing any bents when I rode last year but they may have been in the faster groups.
I did come across more hero groups than any other ride I have done but then I tend to avaiod the big rides like the ATB. I prefer the friendlier rides in the countryside. I did complete it in about 5 hours so it was a good ride.
A bad days riding beats a good day working!
GT3 Trike
CA2.0
fredinver

Postby Gregory_carroll » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks for the advice - I've not done a hill ride before (ever I don't think!!)

I am thinking about doing it on my Fujin SL - it's fairly fast and light. Although I have no idea how fast I will go. I usually ride on beach road in the high 30's. How that will that will translate in the hills and over 145kms I'm not sure.

Not allowed to ride a bent - I hadn't even thought about that!! I'll drop them a line and find out.
Lovin the Challenge!!
Gregory_carroll

Postby raptordesigns » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:02 am

fredinver wrote:I did come across more hero groups than any other ride I have done but then I tend to aviod the big rides like the ATB. I prefer the friendlier rides in the countryside. I did complete it in about 5 hours so it was a good ride.

I really don't know why the ATB gets slagged so much. I have done the last two on my bent, found pretty much everyone quite friendly and had no problems with large groups. It helps immensely if you can maintain a good pace. You're not going to be overtaken (and annoyed) by pace groups if you're moving at a comparable speed.
raptordesigns

Postby fredinver » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:52 pm

I was just stating my preferences for rides rather than putting down the ATB. I prefer smaller rides with less people. Big rides are just not my cup of tea. I found the GVBR too crowded at times. It might come from spending many hours riding on my own on country roads with little traffic. Own pace, own world and at peace to enjoy the ride. Just what I like and know I like. Others will like different and that is OK with me.
A bad days riding beats a good day working!
GT3 Trike
CA2.0
fredinver

Postby william » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:20 am

Looks like an interesting ride.
I know the roads listed and they will be a challenge for the recumbent riders and others that don't practice riding hills.
Bear in mind its not a race and you will enjoy it.
As for riding the Challenge SL.... draughting... won't they be following you, and muttering sounds "cannot find a draught".
All very humorous at times but in the Ottway's I'm sure I'll be walking some of the hills. I could gear my bike down but i think I could walk faster anyway.
Its nice too that you will get a "free" jersey with your 120$ entry fee.

I think I will ride.

William.
william

Return to Recumbents