A pox on thee, MCC!

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

A pox on thee, MCC!

Postby raptordesigns » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:07 am

I sit here, your correspondent, with pain in my sit-upon and a grazed elbow, thanks to some thoughtless or malicious sod from the Melbourne City Council.

Sunday was a great day for a bike ride, and it co-incided with our monthly recumbent "come-and-try" day, so what with riding from home and back along South and Beach Rds to the meeting point at St Kilda before the group ride, I managed 75km all up ..... Fine so far.

The group is combined with the Bicycle Victoria "over-50's riding program", so it's slow enough that I feel as if I'm not doing myself much good. This usually means that I split with the group quite early with the intent of meeting up with them later at a designated point- and put the hammer down for a good aerobic workout.

Which I duly did Sunday morning. I was about 5km into the breakaway after crossing the foot/cycle bridge to Docklands and there was a sign diverting pedestrians and cycles away from works to the designated path. I followed directions and right across the indicated path was a wide section of gravel which I assumed was covering a newly-asphalted surface. What it was, in fact, was a 1m long and 2m wide section of asphalt that had been cut away and removed to make a hole that was filled to the brim with 6 inches of loose scree - right in the middle of the bike path.

Front wheel goes in. Bogs down deep - hits other end of hole. Bike slews and falls. Your writer flies out of seat onto backside and one elbow on asphalt surface covered in loose gravel. Much cursing ensues.

Fortunately I was not, at this point, moving very fast. Had I been, the MCC might have been hearing from lawyers today.
raptordesigns

by BNA » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:38 pm

BNA

Postby Storm » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Your elbow's the worst eh? I remember falling while going round a corner, braking suddenly for a car then finding myself on the tarmac. The elbow hit first then the hip, I have seriously considered only riding a bent with elbow pads but I didn't like the idea of sweaty chunky skateboard pads, I think kevlar inserted pads would be ideal but never got around to find any, also if I lend my bike to anyone to try I would hate for them to have such a negative experience, I feel some elbow pads would put my mind at ease somewhat.
Since the stack lets just say I'm now super sensitive to the fine movements my bike makes and if I find gravel I try to go as slow and stay as vertical as I can. I feel your pain :( and hope you have a quick recovery.
~~~~ ~ @_,~,- -_-’o,~~~ ~ @_,~,- -_-’o,
~~~ ~ (*)\____/(*)~~~ ~ (*)\____/(*)
Storm

Postby raptordesigns » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:03 pm

Storm wrote:Your elbow's the worst eh? I remember falling while going round a corner, braking suddenly for a car then finding myself on the tarmac. The elbow hit first then the hip, I have seriously considered only riding a bent with elbow pads but I didn't like the idea of sweaty chunky skateboard pads, I think kevlar inserted pads would be ideal but never got around to find any, also if I lend my bike to anyone to try I would hate for them to have such a negative experience, I feel some elbow pads would put my mind at ease somewhat.
Since the stack lets just say I'm now super sensitive to the fine movements my bike makes and if I find gravel I try to go as slow and stay as vertical as I can. I feel your pain :( and hope you have a quick recovery.

I'm mostly OK. Just a graze and a slightly sore bum. It didn't slow me down. I do have elbow pads - don't usually wear them. I even have a Kevlar bum and thigh pad I made to wear inside nicks. Wasn't wearing that either.

There were no fine bike movements. As soon as I hit what looked like flat gravel on the tarmac, the wheel sank and it was over in a flash.... and so was I!
raptordesigns

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Gotta love the way they do their works :roll: No signposting I bet.

Haven't seen Footscray Rd path for a while, is it safe for roadies yet?
Gotta love the sharp left at the bottom of the flyover and the blind crossing at the top.

BTW, 661 elbow pads are pretty well ventilated...if I could find 'em. :oops:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby raptordesigns » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:45 am

Mulger bill wrote:Gotta love the way they do their works :roll: No signposting I bet.

Haven't seen Footscray Rd path for a while, is it safe for roadies yet?
Gotta love the sharp left at the bottom of the flyover and the blind crossing at the top.

BTW, 661 elbow pads are pretty well ventilated...if I could find 'em. :oops:

Shaun

No signposting except the one telling you to take that section of path.

The new Footscray Rd path still has the sharp jink at the western end of the flyover, but the top crossing is OK.
raptordesigns

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:56 am

G'day RD,

I'd write them a stern letter anyway - let them know that the diversion they put in was not acceptable as a detour for cyclists and they are leaving themselves exposed to legal action. Hopefully they'll tear a strip from their contractors' hides and avoid a repeat performance.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Recumbents