I got 'bent (well almost)

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

I got 'bent (well almost)

Postby lemmiwinks » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:23 pm

I started with my two free donor bikes (one's been stripped back to a frame as I pilfer parts off it, but it was a whole bike when it was given to me).

After grinding off the eyelets on the road bike dropouts I initially bolted it together with a 27" wheel. Being a fussy bugger I wanted a 7 speed though so it was off to the tip shop. I scored the only 7 speed wheel there but when I got it home I realised it was a cartridge type, not a screw on freewheel. Since it was a nice hub and rim (crappy spokes) I decided to just use it.

Not much to show for the better part of a day's work :? I guess a $5 wheel is good but you have to put in a bit of work getting it up to snuff.

Overnight I was regretting the decision to use the road bike for the front half. It looks like it would provide a better, lower seating area than the MTB frame. But on the negative side, I only have 1 7 speed 27" wheel and I don't like the 1 piece crank on the MTB. I decided to just suck it up and stick with the 26" wheels.

I didn't get much done today, just fitted a BB and cranks and rigged up a dodgey seat. The reach to the pedals is too long at this stage and I can't really work out what I'm going to do about the seat. This project's in the too hard basket right now. I might get back to it next weekend if I have the time and inclination.

Not much to show for all that time. Though I have to say that the little sit I did have on it using the padded seat base from an old chair as a back told me these recumbents are damn comfortable! :D
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC
lemmiwinks

by BNA » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:18 am

BNA

Postby lemmiwinks » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:18 am

Mulling this over further, I may do a cut and shut on the seat tube and seat stays of the Apollo (unless the clamp comes off in which case it will just be a cut) to get the BB closer to me. I'm also wondering if I actually need the old seat stays at all.

Oh, and I will eventually get around to trimming off the top/down tubes on the Apollo :wink:
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC
lemmiwinks

Postby geebee » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:11 am

I thought they were for some fiendishly clever fairing mount for winter :shock:
geebee

Postby lemmiwinks » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:31 am

:lol: I like to hedge my bets so leave it as long as possible before doing something (to all intents and purposes) irreversible. Just as well too, I was going to lop them off flush but the next day I realised I needed somewhere to mount cable guides for the derailleurs. Still haven't figured out the cabling for that :?
lemmiwinks

Return to Recumbents