KMX Viper

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

KMX Viper

Postby Jason » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi everyone
I am looking at purchasing a KMX Viper in a month or so. I am hoping to hear from anyone who owns one and what they think of it. I took one for a test ride and loved it. But there is a difference between a test ride for 10 min and actually owning one and riding it all the time. I will be riding it to work going down the rail trails, my ride to work has some rough areas thats why i chose the KMX. Any mods you made would be of interest to me.

Cheers
Jason
Jason

by BNA » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:17 pm

BNA

Re: KMX Viper

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Jason,
One of the members, Mandrake has KMX trikes, that I think he hires out!
He is in the US though, so unless you are going for a holiday?
I think the KMX trikes would make for a good, solid, entry level trike, for a good price.
I'd be interested to hear what you decide and how you go, keep us posted!
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor
Freddyflatfoot

Postby geebee » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:33 pm

What kind of price are the Vipers now?
I was looking at one myself a while back.
geebee

Postby geebee » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:00 am

Another lower cost option $1200 http://ooocycles.com.au/recumbentbikes/ ... bikes.html
Are the rail trails sealed or gravel? If gravel some balloon tyres will be in order.
Have a look through this forum about the KMX, there seems to be some negative info I cant remeber if it applied to the newer ones or not? http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18
geebee

Postby Jason » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi geebee the vipers are $2099, i know the older ones had issues with the seat this has been fixed. I took the older one for a ride and the new model is better in my opinion. The trail is majority dirt, geelong to queenscliff about 70km round trip, it is a great ride i have done it several times. For what i want i think the one from ooocycles looks a little light. I currently am riding a friends greenspeed gt3 and i have to slow down for some of the rough stuff, it would probably be fine going at full speed but they are not built for that. The KMX is built for some serious punisment.
Jason

Postby geebee » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:41 pm

I had a GT3 and they do tend to bounce around on the rough stuff, I used to do light MTB trails with it :).
The OOO trike is built like a tank and has a much smoother ride than the GT3 and more powerful brakes, rear tyre diameter is limited a bit by the frame though.
I love the look of the KMX machines and if I hadn't come across the racing trike would have possibly gone that way.
geebee

Postby Jason » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:15 pm

I am looking forward to putting it through it's paces. The GT3 is a great bike but it is more suited to a smooth surface.
Jason

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:17 am

You could PM 'Chuckchunder' on this forum for advice on riding rough and unsealed roads.
He can provide you with excellent information as he has a huge amount of experience with trikes
and is highly regarded.
What he doesn't know isn't worth knowing. :)
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
bradwoodbr

Postby Jason » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:59 pm

I picked up a KMX Viper on saturday from Brett at Zoom toys, i would like to thank brett for the fantastic customer service. He set the bike for me specific height and where i wanted the handle bars. I will get to ride it to work in the morning and let you know how it goes.
Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:05 pm

Well i have been riding my KMX Viper now for a couple of days and i love it. I can get it going faster then the Gt3 that i had borrowed from a mate and it handles the bumps with ease. I no longer have to slow down for the rough stuff.
Jason

Postby geebee » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:21 pm

Great to hear, now Photo's :)
geebee

Postby Low Racer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:12 pm

Jason wrote:Well i have been riding my KMX Viper now for a couple of days and i love it. I can get it going faster then the Gt3 that i had borrowed from a mate and it handles the bumps with ease. I no longer have to slow down for the rough stuff.

Congrats Jason.

I have a GT3II and it handles the rough/gravel roads just fine. I think you are conscious that it isn't yours and you dare not overdo it incase you wreck the trike. Saying that, the KMX is built like a tank and will take more abuse than the GT3II.
Low Racer

Postby Jason » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:49 pm

You are probably right low racer. The Gt3 is a fantastic trike and i loved having it for the month, but the kmx does handle the rough stuff with a bit more comfort probably the tyres make a difference. And the price of the Gt3 was a bit out of my budget, my mate and i are looking forward to go on a few rides now that i have mine. After riding a trike i would never buy another mountain or road bike i just love how relaxed i feel when on my trike.
Jason

Postby chuckchunder » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:55 pm

bradwoodbr wrote:You could PM 'Chuckchunder' .............What he doesn't know isn't worth knowing. :)

whoah....not sure I am able to bear that mantle! : )

curious jason, what tyres do you have fitted to the viper and what pressure/s are you using? what was on the GT3?

blatting down a trail on a trike, getting air, hanging out the rear end is one of the most enjoyable things i've done : )

cheers

glen
I like to ride my tricycle
chuckchunder

Postby Jason » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi Glen I have swalbe big apples on her and at max pressure of 70 pounds. The Gt3 had swalbe marathons and 100 pound pressure. Its great fun hurtling over the rough stuff.
Jason

Re: KMX Viper Photo's

Postby geebee » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Jason's Viper photos.

geebee

Postby Jason » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks for posting my pictures Gary.
Jason

Return to Recumbents