Ventisit or ACS 10?

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Ventisit or ACS 10?

Postby william » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi Guys,
Has anyone used, or using a ventisit pad or made the equivalent using the ACS 10 material purchased locally?
I had a brief ride on Greg's Challenge around lake Wendouree but could not make any reasonable assessment with that.
Are they still comfortable after say a 6 hr ride?
The breathability, would that also equate to chill factor in cool climates or a wet back on a wet ride (rain).
Could they be easy to make or difficulties to watch for when folding and stitching?
Ultimately, would it be better in the long run to purchase one from Ventisit at current exchange rates???

William.
william

by BNA » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:40 pm

BNA

Re: Ventisit or ACS 10?

Postby Gregory_carroll » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi William

I've done a couple of long rides with the Ventisit and it was fine, just as comforatble as the foam stuff the challenge came with. However, it is a bit more slippy so you I tend to slide around a bit more (not really a major issue - just different), and when it rains your back gets wet. As for too cold, I'm a sweaty bugger so I don't think I could get too cold.

Hope this helps

Take it easy

Greg
Lovin the Challenge!!
Gregory_carroll

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:55 pm

William,
I have made a couple using ACS10, which to all intents and purposes, is Ventisit.
I have one on my mid racer, and it is very comfortable. So far, only 3 hr rides, but no issues.
Keeps the back cool, and is much better in keeping the sweat from the back!
I put one on my trike as well, but it was a bit slippery when turning, so had to add some 'wings', to keep me in the seat!
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor
Freddyflatfoot

Postby william » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:05 pm

I can imagine the forces whilst on a trike will be different to that of a leaning bike.
Greg, when you mention slippery, is it an issue or something different you get used to. I tried riding my Corsa without a pad because the layers of glue keeping my foam pad together are becoming annoying. I don't want the same pad as after one ride it scuffs up my clothes. Also after riding without a pad i find I can easily slide my leg sideways a bit to make it more comfortable to put my foot down flat at lights. Even without the pad the euromesh seat is reasonably comfortable except the width of the shoulder part sits on the edges of my shoulder blades and becomes sore after about an hours ride. I tried just foam in this area but it changes the shape dynamics of the seat.
Rob, did you strike any difficulties with making your own and did you use a double layer, stitched tied and rounded?

william.
william

Postby raptordesigns » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:46 am

william wrote:I can imagine the forces whilst on a trike will be different to that of a leaning bike.
Greg, when you mention slippery, is it an issue or something different you get used to. I tried riding my Corsa without a pad because the layers of glue keeping my foam pad together are becoming annoying. I don't want the same pad as after one ride it scuffs up my clothes. Also after riding without a pad i find I can easily slide my leg sideways a bit to make it more comfortable to put my foot down flat at lights. Even without the pad the euromesh seat is reasonably comfortable except the width of the shoulder part sits on the edges of my shoulder blades and becomes sore after about an hours ride. I tried just foam in this area but it changes the shape dynamics of the seat.
Rob, did you strike any difficulties with making your own and did you use a double layer, stitched tied and rounded?

william.

I have a single layer of ACS10 on my lowracer seat. it overlaps the edge of the seat shell by a couple of cm in the back area to allow a bit of airflow and also so the edges don't prickle my back. (That's a good reason for going double-layer via edge fold over, by the way, so that the edges are not irritating, but it would distort my seat shape too much to do that). It's secured to the seat by some cable ties. I have had no problems with discomfort - even on the Around The Bay 250km ride last year with about 9 hours riding time. (caveat - my seat shape was moulded to my body in a sand mould so it's a very good fit already). The ACS-10 breathes well even with only one layer.
raptordesigns

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:34 pm

I made a double layer, cable tied at the back, and fixed to the seat using velcro pads.
Its not perfect compared to the commercially made ones, but is still quite functional.
After using the ACS10, I don't think I'd go back...............................
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor
Freddyflatfoot

Postby Gregory_carroll » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:33 am

Hi William

Being more slippy is just different, I'm mnot sure if it is better or worse to be honest. Although the one thing I have noticed is that it is a bit more itchy. Not sure what causes it (could be my imagination, dry back etc etc).

Cheers

Greg
Lovin the Challenge!!
Gregory_carroll

Postby william » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:11 pm

Itchy!

Hmm!... That wasn't during the naked bike ride protest thing, was it? (kidding) :shock:
When I rode on yours Greg I couldn't imagine the itchy bit unless a combination of fabrics and sweat.
I did like the more direct contact with the bike using the ventisit and with my spongy foam I have to wriggle around a bit to find the sweet spot. I'm not sure how I would attach it to the Euromesh seat either. The best I have come across is a reference to "the 3 point zip tie method". Whatever that is.

william.
william

Postby Gregory_carroll » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:01 pm

It must be a fabric / sweat combination....I've never had a seat related itchy issue on any of my naked bike rides :-)

Mine's tied on with 2 zip ties, through the holes in the seat. I'm not sure how its done on a carbon seat - the guy from Ventisit is very helpful though - he'd have to know.
Lovin the Challenge!!
Gregory_carroll

Postby raptordesigns » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Gregory_carroll wrote:It must be a fabric / sweat combination....I've never had a seat related itchy issue on any of my naked bike rides :-)

Mine's tied on with 2 zip ties, through the holes in the seat. I'm not sure how its done on a carbon seat - the guy from Ventisit is very helpful though - he'd have to know.

I use 4 zip ties, through 1/8" holes in the carbon seat (one hole only per secure point). You ask: "How do you do that?" Put the tongue of the zip tie though the hole from underneath, loop it though the ACS10, then back thru the same hole. Zip the tie. The zip tie "clasp block" is bigger than the hole, so it doesn't pull through.
raptordesigns

Return to Recumbents