Lake Wendouree Challenge 2010 - Sun 21 Feb

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Lake Wendouree Challenge 2010 - Sun 21 Feb

Postby raptordesigns » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:20 pm

Folks, it's on again. We're looking for a fast crew of 12 for the event, which is a 2.5hour relay ride around lake Wendouree. It was great fun last year despite problems with rules which I'm seeking some asurances on from the organisers for this year. If we get 12 riders, you only have to ride one 6km lap at a time with a 2 lap rest.

Here's your chance to be part of that rare thing - a recumbent pace line.

Please signal your interest here.

Note that I've created a team "Bentriders". Please contact me for the team code if you want to sign on to the official team.

cheers, John R.

You’re invited

Hello all you happy wonderful cyclists. The Come to Life Ballarat Cycle Classic is on again in 2010. After a need to change the date due to a major conflict with another event please put in your diaries Sunday 21 February 2010.

Registrations are now open and we would love to get you on board early.

All online entries before 31 Jan automatically go in the raffle for a Felt Bike donated by Cycle City valued at $4600. Extra tickets are available for $5.00. This year you can also fundraise for the centre as each entry automatically generates a fundraising page.

This Sunday 11th October we are also celebrating the Jayco Herald Sun Tour in Ballarat and are having a street party. Invite attached. Join us if you can. The greater support for cycling the better for all the community.

Happy Cycling

Julie O’Donohue
Come to Life Ballarat Cycle Classic
raptordesigns

by BNA » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:24 am

BNA

Re: Lake Wendouree Challenge 2010 - Sun 21 Feb

Postby raptordesigns » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:24 am

More info folks:
Remember, we need riders who can maintain at least a 30km/hr average for 6km at a time. Don't be shy, we need you!

Contact me first at [email protected] so I can give you the team code to enter.

You can sign up at: http://www.ballaratcycleclassic.com.au/register.php

Select the ride type: "Lake Wendouree Classic Challenge 2.5Hrs"
Choose the "Sports Club (Does not Include Jersey)" option at $35
Enter the team code I will give you.

Three riders so far: myself, Ray L and Eric B.
NINE to go. Rob, William, Greg... are you in?

John R.
raptordesigns

Postby Gregory_carroll » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Sounds good to me, really enjoyed last year, would love to give it another go!!
I also have a mate with a Fujin SL11 that would probably be into it too....I'll get on the case of bringing him along.
Lovin the Challenge!!
Gregory_carroll

Postby raptordesigns » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:40 am

The List (so far)
John R (h/b lowracer)
Ray L (velocraft lowracer)
Eric B (h/b lowracer)
Steve N (LWB racer)
Rob L (optima Raptor lowracer)
Greg C (Fujin lowracer)
Gregs mate??? (Fujin lowracer)
raptordesigns

Postby william » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:49 am

Hi John,

I/We had a great time last year and would love to be part of it again. Great riding, Great bunch of riders.
Bachetta Corsa high racer (still, would love a low racer though).

william.
william

Postby raptordesigns » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:58 pm

On the 31st of October there's a "training" session at Casey Filelds near Cranbourne. If any Lake ride team members would like to come, it would be good to see you there! "Teams" can be a team of one. You might even get a chance to try out a streamliner around the track. Note that front chainwheels must have a "cover".

Folks,
The Casey 6 hour training session is ON!!!!!
10am start, long loop. (2.2km)
No AIPP rules. Basic OzHPV guidelines will be enforced: brakes, no protruding parts (ie. uncovered from booms), covered chain wheels (if exposed).
One member of each team MUST be an OzHPV member. Consider this the 'entry' fee. $25. This will give you a 14 month membership. Others wishing to join are encouraged!
Vehicles may be 2 wheelers, but only 1 vehicle per team.
I am working on a timing program... any ideas?
Please let all community teams know. I'll be racing with my son & few of his fast school mates.
As this is a training session, there will be no additional toilets brought in, but I believe we will have the ones on site open.
Remember, this is not a race, but a timed training session.
Come along one & all.
Tim
raptordesigns

Postby william » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi John,
Sounds interesting but where exactly is it?
Also where the heck will I get a chain wheel cover and what exactly does or how should the chain wheel be covered?
regards,
william.
william

Postby raptordesigns » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:27 am

william wrote:Hi John,
Sounds interesting but where exactly is it?
Also where the heck will I get a chain wheel cover and what exactly does or how should the chain wheel be covered?
regards,
william.

Casey Fields is at:
160 Berwick-Cranbourne Rd
Cranbourne East VIC 3977

Do a Google Maps search on "Casey Fields, Cranbourne". It's a big multi-sport centre with a tennis centre and a lot of ovals. The crit track is at the southernmost end.

In its simplest form a chainwheel cover is a simple disc bolted to your outermost chainring to assure that if you run into anyone you won't leave a long line of 1/2" separated puncture wounds. Or it can be a baffle mounted to the end of your BB that covers the exposed end of the chain ring.

For example:
raptordesigns

Postby william » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Hmmmm!
What if I promise not to use the big ring and wrap electrical tape around it....
Seriously its something I always looked at when riding (obviously I can't help it) especially when other riders comment on "the chainsaw" at the front of the bike. I'll cal Ben at Trisled to see if he's got anything or Greenspeed. Failing that my wife has one on her precious gem of a bike. I wonder if she will notice?
Looks like I should make dinner and buy some chocolate...

william.
william

Postby bradwoodbr » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:59 pm

If your big chainring is 52 tooth, you can buy a cheap plastic add on type from a bike shop.
Otherwise cut and paste on some really strong cardboard and hope it doesn't rain. :)
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
bradwoodbr

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:04 pm

William cut out some ply to make a disk and cut a length of garden hose down the middle and place around the ply outer circumference. I have a question if bents can be purchased with all the rings exposed then this would indicate that it's not a big safety issue so why after the purchase do these event organisers deem it there duty to implement such devices?

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7

Postby raptordesigns » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:49 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: I have a question if bents can be purchased with all the rings exposed then this would indicate that it's not a big safety issue so why after the purchase do these event organisers deem it there duty to implement such devices?

The event organisers are trying to assure that their 3rd party insurance premiums are kept as low as possible. (Hence our membership fees are lower).

The OzHPV requirements for bikes in races/events are far less restrictive than the ones used by the Pedal Prix organisation, which specify rollbars, side intrusion protection, some dimensions, warning devices, handling testing and so on. Passing pre-race scrutineering is always a major worry for pedal prix teams.

OzHPV requires chainring protection, working brakes and no dangerous protrusions; otherwise anything goes.

As for the exposed rings being a problem; you're right that it's rare for them to be a problem, but in a race who knows.... There's a dog in Williamstown with an impression of my front chainring tattooed on its' side....
raptordesigns

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:53 am

John thanks for the reply that makes sense it's just a shame that events have to go to this extreme to protect themselves but I guess this is the times we live in now with everyone suing for the slightest problem instead of just getting over it and moving on. Well hope you and the team enjoy yourself and have a fast race event with a great result. Can't help but drool over your machine I really like those bikes be a real speed demon if you wanted to unleash it.

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7

Postby raptordesigns » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:25 pm

A rare shot of the great white slug in action at the Casey 6hr last Saturday taken by Steve Nurse. I had been pacing him alongside until we were overtaken by the pedal prix machines, and the first you will see of the slug is when I start to accelerate away up to about 50km/hr to chase the racer.

see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSxvvaewP_U
raptordesigns

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Great video Raptor and what I found to be amazing is just how fast those covered in bents are that flew past makes a big difference plus nice to see and compare them so thanks.
}SkOrPn--7

Postby raptordesigns » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:38 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Great video Raptor and what I found to be amazing is just how fast those covered in bents are that flew past makes a big difference plus nice to see and compare them so thanks.

It's a humbling experience to ride with the pedal prix racers, even in my corefute fairing. There was just no way I could maintain the speed they were averaging for more than a minute or two. The blue Trisled prototype vehicle (Aquila) you see first is both pretty and very, very fast. That and the grey one that passes second are ridden by two of the top five fastest teams in Victoria. In my (weak) defense, these guys have 30 years on me.

I should have the lap times (2.2km laps) for these guys soon. (have them now, see update)

Update:
Best lap time (by TruBlu team) was 2mins 22 secs for the 2.2km, which equates to 56km/hr average for the lap.
Best no of 2.2km laps in 4 hrs was Aquila at 66 laps (Average of 36.3km/hr overall) Pit stops accounted for the slow average.
Last edited by raptordesigns on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raptordesigns

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Hmm, thanks for the Video Steve!
Makes me even more determined to build a velo body for my trike, even if it will be corflute!
These sorta speeds might even make my (new) 90 k commute possible........................
But that may be a topic for another thread!
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor
Freddyflatfoot

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:29 pm

raptordesigns wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Great video Raptor and what I found to be amazing is just how fast those covered in bents are that flew past makes a big difference plus nice to see and compare them so thanks.

It's a humbling experience to ride with the pedal prix racers, even in my corefute fairing. There was just no way I could maintain the speed they were averaging for more than a minute or two. The blue Trisled prototype vehicle (Aquila) you see first is both pretty and very, very fast. That and the grey one that passes second are ridden by two of the top five fastest teams in Victoria. In my (weak) defense, these guys have 30 years on me.

I'll accept the age defence I have too due to my own age and need to fall back on it as well. Ok I accept that adding those aerodynamic body shells will give an increase in speed but what else is under the hood on those things? I also assume that there must be rules and limitations to these super fast bents can you link me to some webs sites that further explain set-ups etc as I really know bugger all about bents or more so these racing bents with shells. As a side note Steve I can't say I have seen the casual rider on the street with a bent and aerodynamic body shell is this set-up just for circuit or time trials racing?

I should have the lap times (2.2km laps) for these guys soon. (have them now, see update)

Update:
Best lap time (by TruBlu team) was 2mins 22 secs for the 2.2km, which equates to 56km/hr average for the lap.
Best no of 2.2km laps in 4 hrs was Aquila at 66 laps (Average of 36.3km/hr overall) Pit stops accounted for the slow average.

Pretty impressive times I think I would really enjoy watching an event such as this and looking in the pits at all the set-ups thanks.
}SkOrPn--7

Postby raptordesigns » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:20 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: As a side note Steve I can't say I have seen the casual rider on the street with a bent and aerodynamic body shell is this set-up just for circuit or time trials racing?

Steve Nurse is the guy who shot the video; he's not on this forum, but will be riding at Wendouree next year. He's well known in VicHPV circles and has just self-published a book about recumbents and more: It's available on Ebay for only $18.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cycling-Book-Cycle-Zoo-bicycle-recumbent-tandem-trike_W0QQitemZ140357073473QQ

You can find out more about Pedal Prix by visiting the http://www.pedalprix.com.au These machines are made with some structural and dimensional limitations imposed by safety rules. In general they're not street machines. The Trisled "Avatar" or Greenspeed "Glyde" velomobiles are similar to pedal prix machines but sacrifice some speed for practical considerations

John Reynoldson. (a.k.a. raptordesigns)
raptordesigns

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Cheers John for the links I will do some reading to better understand your hobby in the format you race in sounds interesting.
}SkOrPn--7

Postby Gunlock » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Watching that video just reminded me how much i used to enjoy riding those things in the 24Hr "Energy Breakthrough" in Maryborough. Used to ride for Damascus College back in the day, was great fun.

Pic of the last trike i was in:

Respect for taking the trikes around the lake. I tried a few times with the team from Damascus, and it was just suicide.
Currently riding:
- 2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
- 2011 Focus Whistler (Upgraded forks)
- 2013 Kona Paddy Wagon
Gunlock

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:26 pm

Sleek looking baby there Gunlock. :D
}SkOrPn--7

Postby raptordesigns » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 am

There's only a month to go and we need three more riders! And if anyone below hasn't officially signed up, it's time to do it!

The List (so far)
John R (h/b lowracer)
Ray L (velocraft lowracer)
Eric B (h/b lowracer)
Steve N (LWB racer)
Greg C (Fujin lowracer)
Gregs mate??? (Fujin lowracer)
Lloyd H (?)
Ken H (velo?)
raptordesigns

Postby william » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi John, sent pm.

Looking forward to seeing you all again.

William.
william

Postby raptordesigns » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:42 am

Team update: Here's the team so far. We still need one more rider and for everybody to be paid up. Don't forget to nominate "ben56" as your team code when you sign up.

* John R (h/b lowracer, fairing maybe)
* Lloyd H (Optima Orca)
* Rick H (Barchetta)
* Eric B (h/b lowracer)
* Steve N (h/b LWB racer)
* Graham S (RANS)
* Ray L (velocraft lowracer)
* Mike B (Greenspeed GT5)
? Ken H? (Trisled velomobile)
Greg C (Fujin lowracer)

Asterisks denote people that the organisers have confirmed to me as team entries.
raptordesigns

Next

Return to Recumbents