Wotcha fink?

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Wotcha fink?

Postby europa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:45 pm

Okay you recumbent types, what do you think of this offering?

Bent on ebay

Current price about $600 - two days to run so expect that to go up. No idea on postage costs yet - message has been sent.

Is it worth a look and what would a realistic total price be?

For reference on prices, a new Bacchetta Giro is about $3,000 and Flyingfurniture have thissecond hand for $1,390 (but haven't answered my email to them - I'm hoping they're just very busy).

Richard
this is a serious query btw, strange I know, but it is.
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

by BNA » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:52 pm

BNA

Postby europa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:52 pm

Okay, I've answered the price question - on the recumbentusa.com website, they're on special at $US625.

So, what are they like?

They've got an Underseat steering model and an overseat steering - which to choose.

Important consideration - I need to able to climb hills. I'm after entry level (can't afford the Bachetta) but it could become more than just an occasional fad bike, so it needs to be good as well.

Thoughts please.

Richard
europa

Recumbent Thoughts

Postby rdp_au » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:27 pm

Richard,

Have to chime in here.. I've seen these advertised on ebay for a while. As you probably already know, they're made in China (or maybe Taiwan, can't remember). Quality reads OK, but without seeing one, it's hard to judge.

Main issue you'll face is the cost of shipping to Australia. Australia Post has a size restriction which effectively precludes shipping a bicycle, even when disassembled. When I was researching my bentech, there was an option to buy a pre-built frame from the US. Because it had to be sent by courier, the cost was astronomical - something like $US400.

As far as hill climbing is concerned, generally speaking, you'll be slower than an conventional bike, but anything's possible, just depends how much work you put into it! My bentech has a 52-42-30 crankset with a 12-28 cluster and I can get up most hills, just not very quickly. Downhill is another matter - courtesy of the weight and good aerodynamics. On the other hand, Hotdog, being fitter and lighter, seems to have no trouble keeping up with the pack on his Barchetta (and blasting past them on the downhill bits).
rdp_au

Postby europa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:35 pm

Actually, as you look closer at the one on special at Flyingfurniture, it's not looking like as good a deal as it might - still cheaper but not a lot.

I too expect shipping to be around the $400 mark, which is a lot to add to the price of a bike. Let's see, they're $625 on the website (not ebay), add $400 for shipping, convert to Aussie pesos and you get $1,250. The flyingfurniture bike is about $200 dearer by the time you factor in freight, and the components are better.

Hmm, hope FF hurry up and reply. How many days do I wait before sending a reminder?

Richard
europa

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:36 pm

you know you'll have to rip that appendage at the back off and fix it
tallywhacker

Postby europa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:37 pm

tallywhacker wrote:you know you'll have to rip that appendage at the back off and fix it

Yes, I know.

Richard
europa

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:53 pm

Ian at FF is notorious for being slow to reply and hard to pin down once you place your order. I was told by quite a few people that I was lucky to be dealt with so promptly. I basically told him to "just send me the bike - I'll look after everything else".

I hate to say it, but the Giro 26 that Hotdog and I have is an entry level bike. The good news is that once you've got one, it will last a lifetime (until you buy a second, third and fourth one for the stable..... :roll: )

Your best bet is to keep your eyes on the forums where 'bent people live and look for a deal on a used 'bent in their classified sections.

Good luck - I'm off to look for something which might suit you (how tall are you again?)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:55 pm

Oh, and climbing hills? It will take a while for you to "get your 'bent legs." Once you do, you'll still be a little slower than on your DF up the hills, but there's no hurry! :wink:

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:58 pm

I grind away in my extra low granny as it is. It's impossible for a two wheeled recumbent to be slower, it'd fall over :shock:

Richard
europa

Postby heavymetal » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:01 pm

Have you looked at recumbent trikes as well? Ian gave me some good quotes for trikes in the $1,000 - $2,000 price range.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.
heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:12 pm

Not interested in trikes mate. No real reason, just not interested.

Richard

waiting, checks emails again, nothing in the last two minutes :(
europa

Postby europa » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:11 pm

That recumbent at the top, is actually made by this mob in Taiwan :D

http://www.taiyingsystems.com/ty-968.php

And Graeme and I know where we can get them here in Oz :D

How about this little beauty.

Richard

funny, everytime I talk about bents, my son rolls his eyes and tries to pretend he's somewhere else 8)
europa

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:46 pm

When your son hears all his mates telling you how cool/wicked your bike is, he may not be so disinterested. Especially when the girls are the ones talking!

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Hotdog » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:25 pm

europa wrote:Image

How about this little beauty.

Two wheels the same size, and in a standard size (26" in this case), both of which are good things in my book. Looks like the adjustment for leg reach is via telescoping boom, which is a fairly standard and workable approach, just means you might have to shorten/lengthen the chain a bit to get it right. The curvy frame means that the seat height is fairly low considering the 26" wheels, so should be easy to get a foot down. To me the seat looks a little on the upright side but there appears to be an adjustment mechanism on the seat stay, and my recline preferences might be a bit extreme. The use of chain tubes is a slightly inelegant solution to chain management in my opinion, but plenty of 'bents (including some very expensive ones) use them and it's claimed they can be quiet and efficient. At least they help keep your legs clean. The steering looks like a fairly conventional tiller setup. Most importantly, it's red, and everyone knows red things go faster 8)

I've not heard of this particularly manufacturer, but the reputation of some of the other Taiwanese manufacturers (e.g. Actionbent/TW Bents) seems to be for decent frames (the most important bit), low end parts but from good brands, and some possibly suspect assembly work (not a problem for someone who can do a bit of their own wrenching to put things right).
Hotdog

Postby europa » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks mate. The frame info is the important bit - everything else can be fixed (so can a bent but Graeme's threatened me with a horrible death if I even contemplate it :roll: )

Richard
europa

Return to Recumbents