What would sell?

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

What would sell?

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:12 pm

I had this discussion the other day with someone who builds and sells recumbents, centred around my Bacchetta Giro20 SWB and building something like that but with underseat steering (USS); the opinion was that there was a market for this, maybe locally, maybe overseas. I dissented, IMHO if you're not talking about a trike then the easiest bike to market is a BikeE clone with above seat steering (ASS), easiest to hop on, take that first lifting up of the foot and pedal off. I also think that USS with new riders is scary and offputting, they not only have to cope with the non-upright practice of bringing the feet up high off the ground to get rolling, they also have to ride with their arms pinned to their sides and not up and out in the natural catch-me-if-I-fall stance. I think getting bums on seats is better than just selling custom, expensive bikes to an established market.

The market for high end bikes (in performance and dollar) is a bit different, people generally trade up or upgrade after experience and enjoyment and I think the majority of people will buy in stepping stone pattern. If you wanted a bread-and-butter bike to keep the business in cashflow and get new riders onto recumbents then the racy Bacchetta, Volae, RANS SWBs aren't the best way, nor necessarily is the limousine-style LWBs. And USS doesn't kick ASS.

So, am I wrong?
just4tehhalibut

by BNA » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:35 am

BNA

Re: What would sell?

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:35 am

I'm also not a fan of USS it just doesn't feel right nor do I like USS with trikes as direct steer and tillers are better in my opinion. USS is a pain in the butt to mount the bike it's just feels terrible not to mention I like the ability to have things like computers,horns/bells,lights etc in my face and I'm sure there is a market for such set-ups but it must be small or near non existence because I have seen no one in my neck of the wood or anyone I know with USS.
}SkOrPn--7

Re: What would sell?

Postby Profpinz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm a newbie when it comes to trikes (and bikes in general) so I had no real knowledge or preconceived ideas to influence my initial purchase, so the test drives were paramount in helping me make up my mind.
I purchased an MR1 (from MR Components.... basically a Greenspeed GT3) which comes standard with direct steer/tillers, but could be optioned with Greenspeed’s USS steering.
After testing both systems I much preferred the USS and doubt I would have purchased that trike if the USS option wasn't available.
I found the USS much more controllable and smoother (I'd say less bump steer if I was talking in car terms) but agree with "}SkOrPn--7" that the mounting of accessories has proved a challenge...... however being an Industrial Designer I like a design challenge :D

Basically I guess:
"One man’s meat is another man’s poison"
Profpinz

Return to Recumbents