Plans for a leaning trike

Chaderotti

Plans for a leaning trike

Postby Chaderotti » Wed May 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Alright so for engineering studies, my school is taking part in an EV challenge. Basically, we have to build an electric powered car. The school has provided a hub motor on what I believe is a 700c wheel.
My task is to build the chassis of the car, seeing as we only have a single propulsion system we have to settle on a tricycle design. The hub motor will be at the back with two wheels at the front for steering. (no, we can't build a bicycle). I want to build the chassis as a leaning tricycle, in that the tricycle 'leans' into the turn. In personal theory I believe that this will increase manouverability as well as cornering ability as the tyres will have more 'compliant' forces working upon them rather then being 'pulled' around the corners.

I'm looking for plans or schematics of any sort which clearly show the 'leaning' mechanism. I've a couple of ideas which I think will work but believe that they will be over powered by centrifugal force around a corner and rather lean outwards which in turn would roll the car.

thanks!
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

John Lewis

Re: Plans for a leaning trike

Postby John Lewis » Wed May 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Chad, Have a look round this site. 25hz has built some front wheel drive leaniing race trikes. You might get some ideas there.

http://www.fleettrikes.com/

John

Recycler

Postby Recycler » Fri May 07, 2010 3:36 pm

chad, Have a look at FUN CYCLE site. If you cannot find it, PM me . Bob

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat May 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Chad,

Some interesting ideas here

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... CBkQ9QEwAA

Also if you wander through here

http://www.mp3.piaggio.com/index_eng.html

("Tech Innovation Secrets) there are some nice drawings to look at.

Ciao

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Storm

Postby Storm » Tue May 11, 2010 12:06 am

You say you are building a electric vehicle but If you don't have to build the motor do you? then why do you need to reinvent the chassis, where does creation start?? Will you be expected to build all the other components(brakes/levers, shifters/derailuers etc)? Or will you simply buy them from tested manufacturers? Not to dampen your enthusiasm but your effort might be better used by simply selecting all equpment(including a chassis) and packaging it all neatly in to a finished product, you'll probably need to design a shell, it would require customising. Save your time, why reinvent the wheel motor so to speak :D
~~~~ ~ (AT)_,~,- -_-’o,~~~ ~ (AT)_,~,- -_-’o,
~~~ ~ (*)\____/(*)~~~ ~ (*)\____/(*)