"you have a death wish"

custard

"you have a death wish"

Postby custard » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Are there any good comebacks to this?

(Bit rattled at the moment because this came from a guy on an upright. A motorist I could probably have handled better.)

Nobody

Re: "you have a death wish"

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Well in the his next crash, he's going head first.

Coming from another guy who rides an upright

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:07 am

Smile and a wave?

Just ignore him. Whatever he thinks is (literally) no skin off your nose.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:40 am

custard wrote:Are there any good comebacks to this?

(Bit rattled at the moment because this came from a guy on an upright. A motorist I could probably have handled better.)
What are you riding?

I had that from a few people including cyclists. Perhaps not in quite the same words.

I tell them I'm noticed because I'm different. Also the trike is the size of a small refrigerator sitting on the road so hopefully they'd notice that. :D

When we went to Tassie our friends there wanted us to leave the trikes and hire a car. They were really concerned what with log trucks and all. We never had any trouble at all.

I reckon I'm safer on any of my recumbents than I am on an upright.

John

custard

Postby custard » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 am

Yeah. Night to sleep on it. Don't really care what he thinks this morning.

I'm on one of Martin's Logo Trikes. They're pretty obvious.

Decked out with bright orange panniers at the back and little bits of reflective tape scattered all over the thing. I've still got the flag up (not that it counts for much, but is a great place to put a little red light at night), and have (mostly on the suggestion of some motorists that I have respect for) taken to doing the motorbike thing and riding with lights ablaze (flashing) even during the day. I've even taken to breaching my usual costume rules and have found some bright red and blue shirts to wear. I'm pretty visible.

I did try the "I'm finding that I get seen more easily on this than I did on my standard bike." (see below if you'd like a bit of morning non-fiction) Apparently I'm delusional. Apparently that most cars get into the next lane for about a block around me is a figment of my imagination.

As I said, I'm mostly shocked to hear this coming from someone on a bike.

Time to go and participate in my morning delusion.
Have a great ride everyone.

The longer version (if you're interested) is:
I'm in a community that makes Perth's car addiction look like they're teenagers that are just beginning to experiment with pot, so I have a tendency to say hello or at least wave at any cyclist I see - hopefully as some sort of encouragement.

So I spotted another cyclist, a greying gentleman on the footpath, waved and said "afternoon" (Probably mistake 1).
He says, "Do you have a death wish."
I say, "No more than you." As I sail past.
I hear something, and figuring it's rude to ride off like that I stop and wait. (Mistake 2).
"I'm sorry I didn't hear what you said last"
"What?" As if I'm being impetuous for asking.
"I'm sorry, I did not hear what you said last."
To which I got a rant about I can't be seen, and I must have at least ten times more of a death wish than him.
To which I trott out my standard line about, "I'm finding that I'm seen more on this than I was on my standard bike."
"Your delusional."
I was floored. I probably stopped for a few seconds.
"Thank you, for your opinion," I said and road off. I did not stop to hear what he said as I left this time.

I think that if almost all cars (and road-trains) pull out around me at least half a block behind, move at least half-way in to the next lane to go around me, and pull back in half a block later, I'll happily live in that delusion.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:23 pm

quick comeback number 1

"Ah but you noticed me didn't you."

to which he would probably reply "but I'm on a bike"

and you say, "oh really, I hadn't noticed"
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi custard,
Is that one of Martin's new design with the 26" rear wheel?
I think I saw it when we visited Martin last. Pretty sure he said it was going to Kal. Nice looking trike.
My wife and I each have one of the earlier LoGos about # 65 or so if I recall right.
Enjoy the ride.
John

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:19 pm

Next time, ask him if he is in the habit of talking to figments of his imagination. (He has either seen you, proving your point, or hasn't seen you and is yabbering away to something in his imagination .... :) )

Or just ignore him. Like you, I'm constantly given a VERY wide berth on my 'bent - much more than when I ride any other bike.

cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:22 am

That's been my experience most folks see you well in advance but of course there has been the few that are just not on the ball. For me personally I think it's more of a novelty factor that folks are able to see you on this weird looking bike as they approach but when I switch out to a DF bike they again become blind freddy.

custard

Postby custard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:45 pm

John Lewis wrote:Hi custard,
Is that one of Martin's new design with the 26" rear wheel?
I think I saw it when we visited Martin last. Pretty sure he said it was going to Kal. Nice looking trike.
My wife and I each have one of the earlier LoGos about # 65 or so if I recall right.
Enjoy the ride.
John
My wife and I just acquired #191 and 192, but they're the revised ones with the 18" fronts and frames that can be pulled apart. They'd have been green and purple if you saw them. My wife's had a go on the new model and quite enjoyed it, but we didn't think it quite fitted what we were after.

I'm truly impressed with them, very light steering, very easy to roll down the road, very hard to get on two wheels (yes, I know they're not designed to do that - but sometimes when you're going round corners at 25-30ish it just happens). I'm fairly sure I could fit an 18" tyre inside the 20" tyre in my pannier if I did decide to do some serious touring. Really, truly enjoying the ride :)

Did he show you the bike he's been working on?

custard

Postby custard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks every one for the suggestions.

I particularly like the "talking to figments" idea. It's good.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:27 pm

custard wrote:
My wife and I just acquired #191 and 192, but they're the revised ones with the 18" fronts and frames that can be pulled apart. They'd have been green and purple if you saw them. My wife's had a go on the new model and quite enjoyed it, but we didn't think it quite fitted what we were after.......................................

.................................Did he show you the bike he's been working on?
Yes as I recall now they were the ones. Very nice too. He only had the part assembled 26" as the other had gone.

Yes quite impressed. I had seen it at a very early stage so was good to see it near complete.

John

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:46 pm

"You have a death wish."

"No, but I think I've got one your size in the shop. If you'll just give me your address, I'll have it delivered."

:lol: :lol:

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:29 am

Riding up a hill a while ago - midweek, fine and sunny, little traffic. Road was steep, but straight, so visability was good. There was no bike lane and little verge, so I was claiming the lane and moving over and waiving cars through when it was safe for us both. No problems with a number of cars, then one came alongside me, slowed to my speed and the young driver lowered his passenger window and yelled - "You won't live long.." My response was to look at him and say, "Well, I've already lived longer than you!" He promptly closed the window and sped off.

I really do wonder why people say things like this. Do they expect us to suddenly see the light and say - "Of course, you're right, I really am delusional, I'll stop right away. Thank you for saving my life." Or are they just being pains in the backside......

Rds,

David

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:42 pm

rdp_au wrote: and the young driver lowered his passenger window and yelled - "You won't live long.." My response was to look at him and say, "Well, I've already lived longer than you!" He promptly closed the window and sped off.
Good one David. I'll have to remember that. :D
John

MiG

Postby MiG » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Many of you seem oblivious to how hard it is to see recumbents in traffic.
A few times on my commute (either bicycle or motorbike, never in a car with distractions) I have come across guys on hand cycles, and every time I'm amazed at how invisible they are.

On a clear road, fine. But in traffic, the first time you're seen is as the car in front or behind (when you're going faster) uncovers you.

I know it doesn't appeal to your sense of indignant rage, but I think the people that give you crap are actually concerned for your safety. Just like when they tell me that I have a death wish for riding a motorbike.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:43 pm

MiG fair point you make. I have often wondered when I first started riding my Greenspeed X5 if Ian Simms had ever ridden one of them in traffic himself because they are low. Ground clearance at the lowest point is a measly 62mm (16in wheels) Given a second chance to buy my trike I would most likely choose the 20in wheel option both for a bit of extra height and higher gearing choices.

Regarding the OP I have been stopped by motorists that lean out of their cars to tell me I need more lights or I should have a flag (mine was stolen & without a way to secure it properly I wont buy another) Each and every time I respond with 2 comments 1) If a rabbit runs across the road you see that and the rabbit is much smaller than I am and 2) If I'm so hard to see how come you managed to see me?

At the end of the day each person has to find their comfort level. For some they drive huge 4x4's because the size/height gives them confidence . Others ride fixies without brakes as commuter bikes and I have come across a bloke riding a uni cycle on his commute to work.

The uni cycle guy would never tell you "you have a death wish" cause his comfort level is closer to the edge than yours. The diamond frame brigade would be more likely to say it as they see it as being so low down and equate that to invisibility as it's out of their comfort level.

I've bombed through the City on a Friday afternoon at peak rush hour on my Greenspeed for no other reason than I wanted the experience and the adrenaline rush that goes with it. Even though I did it, it isn't something I'd do every day.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

custard

Postby custard » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:26 am

MiG wrote:Many of you seem oblivious to how hard it is to see recumbents in traffic.
A few times on my commute (either bicycle or motorbike, never in a car with distractions) I have come across guys on hand cycles, and every time I'm amazed at how invisible they are.
and yet every time someone gives me the block clearance routine, it only reinforces (to me) how much more visible I am on the bent than I ever was on a standard.
I know it doesn't appeal to your sense of indignant rage, but I think the people that give you crap are actually concerned for your safety. Just like when they tell me that I have a death wish for riding a motorbike.
I understand that. Maybe he meant it that way. Mostly I was surprised. Even so, that's no way to tell anyone that you're concerned if you want them to listen.

custard

Postby custard » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 am

Becker_11 wrote:Regarding the OP I have been stopped by motorists that lean out of their cars to tell me I need more lights or I should have a flag...
Now, that one was funny. My flag's still on, and I've had precisely that suggestion.
"You should have a flag."
"I've got one." :roll:

Cyclaholic

Postby Cyclaholic » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:59 pm

"You have a death wish"

"nah mate, it's a Cannondale"

Cyclaholic

Postby Cyclaholic » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:02 pm

"you have a death wish"

"Yeah but I'm on medication for it... it's just a 'minor injury' wish at the moment"
Last edited by Cyclaholic on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Just wave your beard at him

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Cyclaholic wrote:

"you have a death wish"

"Yeah but I'm on medication for it... it's just a 'minor injury' wish at the moment"
Love this one. Solid gold. Thanks for the giggles.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Yes, I have all 5 movies on DVD why?