Computers for 'bent trikes

cloudy.but.fine

Computers for 'bent trikes

Postby cloudy.but.fine » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:03 pm

I'm looking for a computer for my 'bent trike. Having seen A set of 'wireless model' instructions that stipulated that the 'receiver' unit should be located vertically above the 'sensor', I realise that not all bike computers will suit bent trikes. I'd sooner not learn the expensive way which are the models NOT to buy. Anyone got any suggestions for make/model please? (under $100 preferrably)

}SkOrPn--7

Re: Computers for 'bent trikes

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi Cloudy getting a computer to work with a recumbent trike is a pain in the butt more so wireless so here is my recommendation that works. I have used wireless but either the wheel sensors fails or the cadence sensor fails because of the ability to locate each part. I have now gone back to using wired for the wheel sensor and wireless for the cadence.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Computer ... 0c_cadence

Because I place the unit on the boom the wire to the wheel is simple to locate and having the cadence sensor wireless makes for ease of setting that side of things up plus makes for a very compact and neat look. Search ebay and you can pick them up for about 50 clams Australian brand new.

Ricky

custard

Postby custard » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:36 am

I've been running one of the Cateye models, um the cheapest wired one with cadence. Strada cadence? It was about $80 at the LBS.
(What I'm really liking about the Cateye computers is how you can change a setting without having to redo every setting, like say the Osync that I inherited with another bike.)

Cable ties take care of the wires.

I've mounted the speed sensor on the front wheel. My current trike has a prebuilt mount for this. My old trike needed me to find a suitable bit of metal so I could get it near the wheel (I used a bit off an old suspension file - strong enough not to bounce around, and flexible enough to be cajoled into the right place)

The cadence mount is a bit trickier, on account of the pedals being a long way away from the boom. I ended up making a little wood block that fits to the boom and gets the sensor far enough out. Held onto the boom with cable ties (of course).

Does this help?

-ramon.

cloudy.but.fine

Postby cloudy.but.fine » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks for the replies! Note duly taken and I have just purchased a 'wired' Cateye Velo 8. I have a 'park brake' on the trike which looks like an appropriate point on which to mount the sensor. Didn't go for the 'cadence' option ... speed, trip distance and time (clock) are all I need. Cheers!

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Sounds like you got yourself sorted and wise choice going wired. Without the cadence things will make for a really easy set-up leaving the door open for many options to place so hope all works out fine for you.

Ricky

Myddraal

Postby Myddraal » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:04 pm

I'd suggest a Ciclosport CM2.2 + cadence kit. I bought the CM4.2 (wireless speed + HR) for $40~ as the 2.2 (wired, - HR) wasn't available from wiggle and although the 2.2 was cheaper, after having to pay extra shipping (already making an order through wiggle) it wasn't. I also picked up a cadence kit on ebay for 5 quid + 3 quid postage, which gave me a cycle computer with wired cadence and heart rate ~$55 (already had an analogue chest belt). I can also stick the standard mounting bracket (or get another cadence kit ;) ) on a second bike if/when I get one and make use of the ability to track data for two separate bikes.

The thing has worked perfectly since I got it and I couldn't be happier with it. It's just well designed and thought out, simple to use and works without fail.