Thinking about a bent/trike

John Lewis

Re: Thinking about a bent/trike

Postby John Lewis » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
John Lewis wrote:
Baalzamon wrote: I do have heel strike issue on my front wheel and this should sort that out as well.
I have heel strike issues with my SWB. So long as its not going to be a hard strike as on the pedal or crank it quickly becomes a non issue. I no longer even think about it.

I would like to try short cranks though. I think Greenspeed will make short cranks up fromyour existing ones if they are suitable.

John
Hey John

Feel free to try mine when I get eventually get down there.
I'm looking forward to that. Have to fit the new seat yet. Fibreglass hardshell to replace the mesh seat. Trying to get things a bit lower as I stretch to reach the ground.
Hope I have the Velo when you get down.

John

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:52 pm

John Lewis wrote: I would like to try short cranks though. I think Greenspeed will make short cranks up fromyour existing ones if they are suitable.

John

You might find something here.

http://www.greenspeed.com.au/specialites.html

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:51 am

Thanks Joe,
Quick look showed nothing. I know I have the info though from GS.
Possible to DIY and the how to is online. Main consideration is the cost of the Left and right hand thread taps.

John

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:31 am

My two cents: I changed to 165mm on my Giro20 and noticed a difference, in comfort and performance (as well as that heel strike issue). Tried moving the cleats back but couldn't find a suitable set up for the pedal stroke that I'm used to. Then bought a cleat setup tool (http://www.aushiker.com/2011/01/ergon-t ... er-review/) and found that my cleats weren't set up symmetrical, each pair of shoes even set up a little differently. Here might be your problem.

I have the SPD version of the Ergon tool, if you want to test the cleat position theory. Liquid paper is not required.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:58 am

just4tehhalibut wrote: Then bought a cleat setup tool (http://www.aushiker.com/2011/01/ergon-t ... er-review/) and found that my cleats weren't set up symmetrical, each pair of shoes even set up a little differently. Here might be your problem.

I have the SPD version of the Ergon tool, if you want to test the cleat position theory. Liquid paper is not required.
Please note that these shoes and SPD cleats were setup by Churchill Cycles and caused absolutely no issue on 1500km's of cycling on my Thorn Raven Nomad. I'll be able to begin testing again of my cleats when I can get the seat clamp on again. I've initiated repairs of it with liquid nails. It's currently in a clamp and staying that way for another 24hrs. I'll be putting zip ties on for extra retention strength as well. Seat clamp will only be using indoors on my trainer in the interests of safety. I do not want that letting go when I'm out on the road. I've got a replacement coming from Calhoun Cycles

But I will most likey borrow the tool as I am adjusting my cleat position.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:39 pm

With regard to crank length and finding what suited me, I first purchased a pair of crank length adjusters to determine what I wanted. I purchased the HAASE Crank Shorteners through Flying Furniture. They were about the same price as getting cranks shortened. But guess what? Yep. I never got my cranks shortened. The adjusters are on the cranks and apart from a little more mass they are rock solid. It was great to be able to try out different crank lengths before I settled on what worked best for me. My current crank length is 143mm (centre to centre).

PS On my first recumbent (M5 Shockproof), Flying Furniture supplied and fitted shorter cranks for me as requested. So maybe they can do some for you too.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Please note that these shoes and SPD cleats were setup by Churchill Cycles and caused absolutely no issue on 1500km's of cycling on my Thorn Raven Nomad. I'll be able to begin testing again of my cleats when I can get the seat clamp on again. I've initiated repairs of it with liquid nails. It's currently in a clamp and staying that way for another 24hrs. I'll be putting zip ties on for extra retention strength as well. Seat clamp will only be using indoors on my trainer in the interests of safety. I do not want that letting go when I'm out on the road. I've got a replacement coming from Calhoun Cycles

But I will most likey borrow the tool as I am adjusting my cleat position.
If you can fit them, automotive hose clips will be stronger than zip ties.
Churchill do a pretty good 'fit' so your solution to your problem is linked to seat to BB length, seat position and back rest angle and how you sit on the seat. Either one or a combination of these. I recommend you sort/eliminate these before adjusting cleats and crank length.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Well after my wait my Calhoun Cycles order turned up today. Installing the seat clamp, it was 1st gen not 2nd gen as I had was a nerve racking experience.
Tighten it, sit down, seat moves, repeat. Eventually got it so seat didn't slip when I sat on it, but when I pushed on pedals it did, tighten up till it didn't. Not done up the way it says on the Bacchetta forums either, but it's close together and apparently not moving.
I've gotten rid of the grenade pins as well and upgraded to Velogenesis seat clamps, terracycle have purchased the line now. Also got a Bacchetta Big Bag and 145mm cranks but YUCK they are silver, going to ruin my red/black them I've got going. I think they are going to be painted a gloss black

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well after my wait my Calhoun Cycles order turned up today. Installing the seat clamp, it was 1st gen not 2nd gen as I had was a nerve racking experience.
Tighten it, sit down, seat moves, repeat. Eventually got it so seat didn't slip when I sat on it, but when I pushed on pedals it did, tighten up till it didn't. Not done up the way it says on the Bacchetta forums either, but it's close together and apparently not moving.
I've gotten rid of the grenade pins as well and upgraded to Velogenesis seat clamps, terracycle have purchased the line now. Also got a Bacchetta Big Bag and 145mm cranks but YUCK they are silver, going to ruin my red/black them I've got going. I think they are going to be painted a gloss black

Hmmm... go Matt Black

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:13 pm

BZ I'm glad you got your seat sorted that must have been a spewing nightmare to have that happen when you have a new bike to ride and fails. I agree with Phil I would also go matt black over gloss any day.

Ricky

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:32 pm

OK
here we go again :)
So I got my new cranks on and then I started to get my seat in proper spot. Got that sorted and feet felt OK for 4km but they did feel if they "may" get sore so I'll be watching that. So I get it off the trainer and ready for the road and my next problem happens :shock: My rear brake it kept on getting stuck on one side and that didn't happen when I was running 175mm cranks. Hmm what is going on here. Took the brake off and it was working properly, put it back on and I would try and centre it. Pull on the brakes and BANG it moves back to the rim...
I was ready to lash out and buy Avid Elixir 7 2012 hydro brakes from c r c and I was speaking to Kalgrm on Facebook last night and asked him. Gear outer is too long he goes, so I go rip it off and would you know it is changing properly!
Hmmm don't think it's too long, I think it doesn't like the bend what can I do about that... HEY I've got some Nokon outer :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Just finish putting it on and brakes are changing beautiful now 8)
Now if it wasn't for the damn heat and me going fishing all weekend I would have it on the road this weekend...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:28 pm

WOOHOO

Seat sorted. Rubbing Alcohol was the solution :mrgreen:
Today did the City Trip of Rome on my Tacx Fortius trainer. 15.25km which I did in 39mins.
My feet hmm, I had my cleats in 2 different positions. My left foot started to get sore within the first 2km so I shifted it back to it's proper position. After I did that the soreness vanished but throughout the ride was getting felt like arch aches so I'm not sure if my insoles are correct or not. Next time I see my podiatrist, might ask about cycling insoles. But I'm going to monitor it over the next few weeks or so until I get my headrest then I'll venture outdoors. Do a good stint in a carpark getting handling sussed, but it does seem easy from when I 1st did it. Starting will be my big challenge I think, especially hill starts.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Mind you I'm not sure if my MTB shoes are wide enough for me...Felt a little tight. Northwave shoes.