Living with a velomobile

Riggsbie

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Wow, what a bike !

So can you persuade Stix to join up on BNA, so he can describe his experiences ?

Looks like he has the measure of it pretty well already....awesome.....it took me over ages to get confident on my 2 wheeler recumbent......

Very cool !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:47 pm

I have invited him to this forum but I think he is already signed up to numerous and is posting his experiences here:

http://www.recumbents.com/forums/topic. ... IC_ID=5251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last post in that thread quotes the manufacturer quoting 75km/hr at 210Watts on the flat. Imagine what the top end sprint speed might be. Strava credited me with about 500W over 5min. Bogus approximation of course but I'm sure I could push out more than 210 for a few minutes every now and then to get a good start then ease back to sit comfortably on about 60km/hr. :-)

burnt

Postby burnt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:38 am

Wow, 75kph is smoking! What is the cockpit layout like Ben? And sterring, is it USS or like a Bachetta?, how cramped did it feel?
Hoping he can come on one of our rides soon!

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:03 pm

burnt wrote:Wow, 75kph is smoking! What is the cockpit layout like Ben? And sterring, is it USS or like a Bachetta?, how cramped did it feel?
Hoping he can come on one of our rides soon!
Its probably easiest to just say watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6AMWUkJ6c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That will answer most of your questions. Regarding the tight fit, yes it is a very tight fit. Bearing in mind that I only sat in it, I didn't ride it, but in the position I was in, I was touching the shell at the sides all the way from my shoulders down my elbows, forearms, wrists and even the backs of my hands were touching the shell !!!! As you know, I am 6 foot tall but relatively skinny, so I was surprised it was so "fitting" on me. Glen is about the same height but a little broader than me, so he fits but quite snugly indeed. He said his elbows are sort of squashed into his sides at all times.

The first comment Glen made when he sat in my mango was "wow - there's so much room!". That said, I think it needs to be a snug fit for stability at speed. Shifting weight inside a 2 wheeler like that would not be good I wouldn't imagine.

petie

Postby petie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm interested to watch that video. All the cyclone fencing and crappy crossings really highlight how fragile some velos are. Apart from weight, what is the obsession with mangoes? I've never even ridden a recumbent, but the design philosophy of the Rotovelo just speaks to me in that environment. Is there something I'm missing?

My wife and I are currently driving around Australia and I fully intend on test riding the available Australian-made velos as we go and buying one when we settle somewhere. In saying that I haven't got a very comprehensive list yet. I know there is logo in WA, Rotovelo and greenspeed in VIC but are there any others I missed? Of course there are a few boutique builders around but not sure about test rides and demos.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:11 pm

petie wrote:I'm interested to watch that video. All the cyclone fencing and crappy crossings really highlight how fragile some velos are. Apart from weight, what is the obsession with mangoes? I've never even ridden a recumbent, but the design philosophy of the Rotovelo just speaks to me in that environment. Is there something I'm missing?

My wife and I are currently driving around Australia and I fully intend on test riding the available Australian-made velos as we go and buying one when we settle somewhere. In saying that I haven't got a very comprehensive list yet. I know there is logo in WA, Rotovelo and greenspeed in VIC but are there any others I missed? Of course there are a few boutique builders around but not sure about test rides and demos.
Scratch logo off your list, no longer being done.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 pm

RV's have no suspension......durability is excellent.....but I rode an unsuspended Greenspeed GT5 for 9 months and the vibration from the coarse chip roads killed me, was very fatiguing, killed Cree headlights in 15 km.....so you lower the tyre pressures to improve the ride quality and then they are slow......

Answer, suspension.....crank up the tyre pressures to 90-100 psi and allow the suspension to do its job.....

And when the Aussie dollar was strong the Mango's were not a lot more expensive than an RV for a lot more equipment, finish etc.....

It's a no brainer !

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
petie wrote:I'm interested to watch that video. All the cyclone fencing and crappy crossings really highlight how fragile some velos are. Apart from weight, what is the obsession with mangoes? I've never even ridden a recumbent, but the design philosophy of the Rotovelo just speaks to me in that environment. Is there something I'm missing?

Scratch logo off your list, no longer being done.
Greenspeed aren't making the Glyde anymore either. So this will be the easiest decision of your life :mrgreen:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Riggsbie wrote:RV's have no suspension......durability is excellent.....but I rode an unsuspended Greenspeed GT5 for 9 months and the vibration from the coarse chip roads killed me, was very fatiguing, killed Cree headlights in 15 km.....so you lower the tyre pressures to improve the ride quality and then they are slow......

Answer, suspension.....crank up the tyre pressures to 90-100 psi and allow the suspension to do its job.....

And when the Aussie dollar was strong the Mango's were not a lot more expensive than an RV for a lot more equipment, finish etc.....

It's a no brainer !

RV's are coming out eventually with suspension

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Oh and 90% of the roads I ride on are crappy coarse chip roads......

Try one, you might like the RV ? But do try the rest......Greenspeed Glyde no longer exists......and by all accounts was heavy and slow......

In my opinion the Mango is the best compromise....

petie

Postby petie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Damn, what would we do without forums! Trouble with not having a PC whilst travelling, only phone based research!
So, try a Rotovelo and an mango then... Shouldn't be too hard, except finding an mango to demo...! I see how suspension could be advantageous.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:39 am

Andrew

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Where are you at present petie?
You can try my Mango if you are likely to be nearby.

Logo never to my knowledge made a velo. Martin Arnold of Logo built very nice trikes. My wife and I have one each.

I think the RotoVelo and the Avatar both by Trisled are about it.

John

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:47 am

Likewise, if you are near Geelong.....

petie

Postby petie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks for the offer both of you, PMs sent.

I'm starting to ask myself whether Australian made or velomobile is more important. I must have been confused about the logo, the trike does look damn nice! Worth excluding myself to the elements for, I don't know!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:19 pm

This popped up on BentriderOnline ... velomobiles showing on Google Street View.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:46 pm

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:56 am

So you have posted that one twice now, so you have bought it?

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:18 pm

So are the Chinese getting into Velos?
First image looks like a Quest and offering 1000 per month with minimum order of 20.
Third image looks like Mango and offering 80 per month with minimum order 15

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/velomobile.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Are you organising a group buy John ?

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:52 pm

No. I'll leave that to you.
I posted this on BROL too. Had one reply. The photos have been taken from the BlueVelo site apparently.

John

burnt

Postby burnt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Starting to have a think about e-assist for the Mango in the years to come (in my dotage)

Found this on the Ecospeed website http://www.ecospeed.com/product/quest-kit/

Quite pricey, but interesting! I believe Harry L is running this on his e Mango http://www.sunstaribike.com/

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 pm

I think John Blaine over on BROL is running one of those in his Quest (Ecospeed)

I've been thinking of it too. Fine for Harry in the flatland but its hilly here. Ecospeed is 500W butI don't think anyone would notice if used sensibly.
I'd just like a bit of uphill boost sometimes as the mango gears are still too high for me.
I am going to ask harry a few questions but will hang off until they move into the new factory.
I think he has given some details on Facebook but I don't go there. I've also seen the odd video.

John

burnt

Postby burnt » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:32 am

Pretty amazing rebuild of a written off Quest in England (Warekiwi) by Lee Wakefield, photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/velomobiles/me ... 677&type=3

Eurotour getting underway in Leer this weekend, GPS maps and info can be found here http://logical-vehicles.org/tour13forum ... opic=92.75
Will be a fantastic trip I'm sure, would love to do similar one day!

burnt

Postby burnt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:13 pm