Living with a velomobile

nitramluap

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby nitramluap » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:11 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: Don't you have to wear a skid lid in Melbourne while using a Velo as the rider appears not to have one.
Yes, you have to wear one but it makes little sense to really... but unfortunately the law is not terribly flexible (unlike the seatbelt law) so he's also breaking the law I'm afraid... but who am I to care? He looks happy to me! :)
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:44 pm

burnt wrote:I've just ordered a Mango, so will be number 2 in Bris I think! Oh the notoriety!
G'day Terry,

Good to see you have put in an appearance.
Gives Ricky and Baalzamon a bit of hurry up. :mrgreen:
What options did you decide on?
John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:05 am

Might be a 1yr before I can get it. Want to kill one bill....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

burnt

Postby burnt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 am

Hi John,

I just went standard set up with an extra mirror! Didn't want to push my luck with the Minister of Finance. Got a reply from Sinner yesterday to advise they have received my deposit. All contact with them so far has been prompt (within a few days), so hopeful the 2-3 month estimate for build and delivery will be accurate.

They did say they would beef up the suspension for my weight, (just into triple figures!)-didn't say whether that would mean additional cost-hopefully not.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:46 pm

What size deposit does sinners ask for?

Ricky

burnt

Postby burnt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:35 pm

€500

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:38 am

burnt wrote:€500
Wow Burnt I thought it would have been a few grand so that is reasonable and does the final price include shipment?

Ricky

burnt

Postby burnt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:22 am

Shipping is about €1800, this is air freight delivered to your door. You also have to pay GST in AUS, so it certainly adds to the cost. I am hoping to have it all done just under $10k. Its a lot, but there are plenty of flash road bikes out there for more and....damn, I just did it, I figure a mid life crisis involving motor bike or sports car would have cost a lot more!!

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:51 am

Ok thanks Burnt I have seen the 10k bandied around but if that is the grand total roughly of GST and shipping then that is a fair price so it would seem that 3 months is the waiting time once your deposit is made is that correct?

Ricky

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi Ricky,
I paid my Deposit on 30th September. They didn't acknowledge until 16th Nov after I asked on BROL to get their attention.
First reply from Harry Lieben said it was on the way but I knew that was wrong as I hadn't paid the balance. Turned out that was the one that went to Vic. Then Arjen emailed that it was "born". Here's an excerpt from email of 17th Nov 2011.

"Of course your Sinner Mango Sport is in production because you have paid teh prepayment for weeks ago.
It is correct we have forgotten to send you a confirmation we have received the money apologise for that!

Attached there is the orderconfirmation, the main part of the body of your bike is already made today, we say
is born today, we have increased the production and do produce 6 Mango's per mounth these days.

I let you know when the bike will be finished!"

So it shouldn't be much longer. I have the extra of the race hood and that might be holding up the shipment until it is done as I think they have quite a few orders on those to fill.

The "Offerte" they sent shows the cost of the bike and the extras, the air freight at $1861, the insurance at at $83 and the Packaging at $109 (rounded figures.). This does not include duty at 5% if applicable, GST or Customs Agents fees. I might go down to the local Customs office and ask some questions as I might not need the agent. A friend who imported a big articulated front end loader told me he did all that himself at a saving.
A bicycle complete is apparently exempt duty but I don't know if a velo is classed as that.
Have a look here.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/Australian-C ... eID%5D=894

Waiting impatiently,

John

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks John seems it's a common theme sinners are a little slow in the rely or paper work department but they get there in the end which is fine with me.

Ricky

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:36 pm

burnt wrote:Shipping is about €1800, this is air freight delivered to your door. You also have to pay GST in AUS, so it certainly adds to the cost. I am hoping to have it all done just under $10k. Its a lot, but there are plenty of flash road bikes out there for more and....damn, I just did it, I figure a mid life crisis involving motor bike or sports car would have cost a lot more!!
My wife is happy that I'm spending money & time on bicycles as it means I'm not spending money & time on other women! I love my wife :-D

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:37 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Ok thanks Burnt I have seen the 10k bandied around but if that is the grand total roughly of GST and shipping then that is a fair price so it would seem that 3 months is the waiting time once your deposit is made is that correct?

Ricky
Yes, my Mango was about AUD$9,500 delivered a year ago. The exchange rate wasn't as good as it is now but the shipping was about 200 Euro less... swings & roundabouts.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Well if the euro drops massively well all the best for me, means I might be saving a few grand in getting it :) Shipping might be painful tho, could be worth a trip tho to get it...
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:28 pm

My bare mango without the extras looks to be about $7528 AUD at the current exchange rate using the online currency converter.
€ 6126. All the extras push it out a bit. Need to get the calculator out to itmise it though and can't be bothered. Freight etc is on top.
These understanding wives are nice to have eh?

John

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:30 am

nitramluap wrote: My wife is happy that I'm spending money & time on bicycles as it means I'm not spending money & time on other women! I love my wife :-D
When I told my wife how much they cost she said "Why can't you just have an affair like all the other men?"

She was joking of course ... at least I think so .....

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:22 am

Rhubarb wrote:
nitramluap wrote: My wife is happy that I'm spending money & time on bicycles as it means I'm not spending money & time on other women! I love my wife :-D
When I told my wife how much they cost she said "Why can't you just have an affair like all the other men?"

She was joking of course ... at least I think so .....
Heh heh! She is, however, not considering the extra costs of an affair to one party in particular - ie. divorce. ;)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 pm

John Lewis wrote: The "Offerte" they sent shows the cost of the bike and the extras, the air freight at $1861, the insurance at at $83 and the Packaging at $109 (rounded figures.). This does not include duty at 5% if applicable, GST or Customs Agents fees. I might go down to the local Customs office and ask some questions as I might not need the agent. A friend who imported a big articulated front end loader told me he did all that himself at a saving.
John,

Sorry you're still having to wait. I saw Paul's Mango briefly again today and its all I can think about. And I haven't even placed an order yet !!! getting close though :)

Anyway, is that freight AUD or euros?

I'd like to know more about your chat with customs too.

Cheers

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:41 pm

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Excellent :)

Here is mine (rear blowout) - jump to the 2 minute mark:

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:49 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
John Lewis wrote: The "Offerte" they sent shows the cost of the bike and the extras, the air freight at $1861, the insurance at at $83 and the Packaging at $109 (rounded figures.). This does not include duty at 5% if applicable, GST or Customs Agents fees. I might go down to the local Customs office and ask some questions as I might not need the agent. A friend who imported a big articulated front end loader told me he did all that himself at a saving.
John,

Sorry you're still having to wait. I saw Paul's Mango briefly again today and its all I can think about. And I haven't even placed an order yet !!! getting close though :)

Anyway, is that freight AUD or euros?

I'd like to know more about your chat with customs too.

Cheers
Aahhhg! You'll hate this. I boobed. Those figures are all Euros. The freight is the big pain.

Yes I keep looking hopefully in my email every day to see if I have anything.
Keeping an eye on the Euro. 1.2442 on Friday. Today shows 1.23163.

I've not been down to customs yet.

John

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:22 am

Sweet!

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Just placed my order for a Sinner Mango Sport Red Edition with racing hood :)

The wait begins ....

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Just placed my order for a Sinner Mango Sport Red Edition with racing hood :)

The wait begins ....
These things will be breeding like rabbits soon.
Thats Paul's, the Melbourne one, mine, burnt's and now yours. Five by my count.
Congrats on taking the plunge.

I'm still waiting. I've heard nothing since eventually getting the order confirmed but check my email daily in anticipation.

John

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 am