Living with a velomobile

John Lewis

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby John Lewis » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:17 pm

Looks like I can get similar results with Cinelerra in Linux. Picture in picture, deshake etc. Seems pretty sophisticated but maybe hard to learn. It came up as an alternative for Final Cut Pro when I searched.
Now to work out how to get it to install as I seem to be short some dependencies.
I can use VirtualDub and deshaker plugin under wine but no picture in picture there. Also deshaking can be done in Linux at command line level but I don't want to mess with that.

John

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Any sign of your Mango yet John ?

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Any sign of your Mango yet John ?
I was just about to ask the same question! :)

My hood has not yet been built but will be any day now and shipped not long after that. I don't think it will make it in time for Santa though... oh well.
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:16 am

Rhubarb wrote:Any sign of your Mango yet John ?
Not a word.

The impatience is growing. Too late now to get it before Christmas. As everything seems to shut down until 17th January or so I'm not holding my breath.

After I asked questions on BROL I got a quick reply that it was under construction (born as he put it0 and an email re what I'd requested and the final cost from Arjen. That was on 16th November.

Harry emailed to say I'd get an account when it was done.
Since then I've heard nothing. I check my email each day in hope.

Good to hear your hood will be on the way shortly Paul. I ordered it too as it was cheaper if ordered with the velo by 25% if I recall right.

John

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:12 am

Man that must be frustrating. I am getting impatient just waiting for your feedback and review !!!!

Have you paid them any more than a deposit? If not, the climb in the exchange rate over the last 2 weeks may be the only blessing for you.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Man that must be frustrating. I am getting impatient just waiting for your feedback and review !!!!

Have you paid them any more than a deposit? If not, the climb in the exchange rate over the last 2 weeks may be the only blessing for you.
Yes I keep watching that. Check each day and keep the fingers crossed.

I've only paid the deposit at this stage. Sent that on a bad (for me) exchange rate day. Not that it made a huge difference. Compared with the overall cost the deposit was remarkably little. Percentage wise we paid a higher deposit for our LogoTrikes.

John

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Sounds like your sunk John and a wait on your hands which I feel for you mate having a great new toy like that playing on your mind wondering how long before you have it in your hot hands. It would drive me nuts as I'm waiting on a new set of 3D Rotor cranks but when I ordered them the US store had to get them in as he was out of stock but in the big picture is bugger all compared to waiting for your Velo.

Ricky

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:22 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Sounds like your sunk John and a wait on your hands which I feel for you mate having a great new toy like that playing on your mind wondering how long before you have it in your hot hands. It would drive me nuts as I'm waiting on a new set of 3D Rotor cranks but when I ordered them the US store had to get them in as he was out of stock but in the big picture is bugger all compared to waiting for your Velo.

Ricky
Be interested to hear how you find the rotor cranks when you get them. I've read a bit about them way back. Some fellow put them on an early Mango and claimed they were great.

I'm also interested in whether Q Rings are of any advantage. They claim to do much the same as Rotor Crankss.

john

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:14 pm

John I already use Q-Rings and when I first got them I noticed a big difference but now it's all natural hard to tell I have them. The only time I do really notice that I have the Q-Rings is climbing steep grades and using a granny gear it seems to kick in and you know your using them when spinning up long steep grades. I'm retiring my XT cranks to another bike so I took this moment to go out and purchase the Rotor cranks but are they any better I don't know I will have to wait and see when I get them delivered. You would be an ideal candidate to now invest in Q-Rings with that Velo on the way and if you have any knee issues Q-Rings are a great fix or at least another step in the right direction to easing knee problems so in my opinion well worth the investment.

I personally don't think the cranks will be that much better or noticeable for a bike hack like me but I know the Rings are.

Ricky

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:03 am

I've been toying with the idea of buying a set of Rotor Cranks (with the cams in them) for several years. Way back in the mid '80s I had (or have actually still got) a Power Cam which I found to be absolutely unbelievable. I eventually stopped using it because I loved it so much I was afraid if it broke I couldn't get a replacement :roll:

There was a bit of a debate on the forum a few years ago about the benefits of various cranks and chain rings.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =power+cam

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... +power+cam+

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm going to have to come down and look at your mango when it does arrive John. Which I hope is sooner than later.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:57 pm

Here is a nice review of the Mango Velomoble by David Hembrow. I think it is a fair & frank assessment of things. :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:41 pm

nitramluap wrote:Here is a nice review of the Mango Velomoble by David Hembrow. I think it is a fair & frank assessment of things. :)
My wallet is going to hate you now along with my credit card....

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:49 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
nitramluap wrote:Here is a nice review of the Mango Velomoble by David Hembrow. I think it is a fair & frank assessment of things. :)
My wallet is going to hate you now along with my credit card....
If you do email them (www.sinnerbikes.com) please tell them to up the ante when it comes to their PR, particularly for the English speakers in the world! They make great bikes and they're very busy but they could do with some better PR skills (as many of us here have discovered!) :)

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:21 am

Spent some time reading David Hembrow's report last night.
All most interesting especially following the links to videos etc.
Only thing is It makes me more anxious than ever to get my hands on the Mango.

John

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:24 am

John Lewis wrote:Spent some time reading David Hembrow's report last night.
All most interesting especially following the links to videos etc.
Only thing is It makes me more anxious than ever to get my hands on the Mango.

John
Sorry, John. The anxiety of waiting is worth it don't worry!

Here are lots of photo albums I've discovered of their little factory in Groningen. Something to help you with the waiting. I know I enjoyed seeing other Mangos being 'born' while I waited.

I'm really looking forward to seeing photos of yours John as they've refined much of its design since mine was built. Nothing major, just subtle aesthetic improvements which make it a much more polished product.

Cheers,

Paul

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Good god you lot stop posting links to the Mango I'm getting jealous it's bad enough John talking about it. :D

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:36 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Good god you lot stop posting links to the Mango I'm getting jealous it's bad enough John talking about it. :D
Um sorry there is going to be a few more coming especially once I lay eye's on John's in the new year. Looking at the way things are going with Clubagreenie's Bont order down in Albany looks like Feb/March based on how long it took Chaderotti to get his Bont shoes.

I'm worried I'm getting hooked as well and since I know a trike is on the cards for me in the next yr or 2 it could be a Mango.... I was looking at youtube's of them last night and OMGosh the speed of them when they hit a downhill compared to a normal trike...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Picked this up off bentrideronline, a velomobile getting chased by a car.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0L4DcoJ ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:23 am

Worried about being hooked BZ me thinks you are :D

That car chasing the velo wonder what that was all about seems like he was riding around a car park at a shopping mall.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:45 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Worried about being hooked BZ me thinks you are :D

That car chasing the velo wonder what that was all about seems like he was riding around a car park at a shopping mall.
If you are not on bentrideronline, go and take a look at the message boards there. Quite a few stories about people with velo's being chased by cars and queried about what they are. Even one about a cop pulling one up asking if it was legal to ride :) So I'm wondering if that trend is happening over here.

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:55 am

Baalzamon wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Worried about being hooked BZ me thinks you are :D

If you are not on bentrideronline, go and take a look at the message boards there. Quite a few stories about people with velo's being chased by cars and queried about what they are. Even one about a cop pulling one up asking if it was legal to ride :) So I'm wondering if that trend is happening over here.
I've been pulled over by one police officer in a patrol car who said I needed a flag as I was 'almost invisible' (!)... I replied that he managed to see me :) There is also no law requiring flags... thank goodness.

I have had a car chase me down to ask about the velomobile on a number of occasions. I can now quite quickly tell if it is an aggressive driver or someone who's just interested by the way they approach.

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Sorry I haven’t read this thread – juz looit at da pichas – but in Aust, do you have to wear a helmet whilst ensconced in these things?
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Marx wrote:Sorry I haven’t read this thread – juz looit at da pichas – but in Aust, do you have to wear a helmet whilst ensconced in these things?
Yes, sadly, as it is the law for all cyclists, at all times, in all locations (except private property) to wear a bicycle helmet. I wear one half the time but always have one with me in the velomobile... just in case I get pulled over. I'd hate to have to 'walk it home'! Most of the time I'd rather ride with a cap to keep the sun off my nose or enjoy the wind in my hair.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Guess I'll post this in here. Nice pictures and articles on wooden velos. Might make an interesting project.

Take a look at this all wood machine and drool.

http://www.recumbentblog.com/2010/03...lomobile-mkii/

There's a link to a whole raft of pictures and also a wooden car.

This wooden Quest replica at Oliebollentoct 2011 shown over on BROL looks great. Hope they don't mind my linking the image. Its in Oliebollentoct 2011 in the Velomobile forum along with some nice videos and picture sequences. Go have a read. You may need to join to view the images though.

Heres another I was pointed at. Looks to be a tandem trike base.

Link to photos here.

http://econauts.blogspot.com/search?upd ... inate=true

I'm tempted to try something like this. Perhaps some time in the future.

John