Living with a velomobile

John Lewis

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 pm

G'day Joe,
Yes. The trike was getting along at a good pace but close inspection showed a hubmotor.
I didn't see the velo but it was mentioned on another forum. It was apparently a quest.

I was reading the French forum (velozontal) and last year there was a guy discussing how he could be "seen" in the tour. Might have been the same fellow.

John

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:44 pm

I have suggested that Santos purchase a few velos, write them up in Santos regalia and let their employees ride in the community challenge of the Tour Down Under. So far:- nothing. I did start low and suggest the Rotovelo (AT) 35kg. I'd prefer a higher end machine.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:48 pm

One of those days.

The BBT.9 spanner finally arrived so I could check the BB bearings for tightness. They were both between a quarter and half a turn too loose. That did get rid of one noise.
In the process I proceeded to try to wreck the mango. Not really of course but I'm annoyed with myself.
Firstly I was interrupted just before I went to lay the velo on its side. When I returned I forgot I'd not wrapped the steerer and also to hold it while laying the mango over. Crash! the steerer hit the side of the body. No glass damage but it made a little crack in the gel coat like a triangular shark tooth sticking out. The only thing I could do was sand it down. I've still to compound and polish. There is a slight mark visible but you wouldn't see it unless I pointed it out.
I might do a gel coat repair later but at present it is OK. I can probably scrounge some pigment,gel coat resin and catalyst from the local fibreglass place. I only need a few mls . It isn't hard to do and I have done these sort of repairs before on my aeroplane.

Anyway to add insult to injury I then managed to slip with the allen key in the torque wrench and damaged the head of one of the bolts in the hollowtech pedal crank just as it came up to tension. I can't tighten or undo it now so hope it is sufficiently tight and will worry about removing it when I have to. Fortunately no damage was done by the flying wrench etc. Reminder to put a rug or something down when working to protect the body if something is dropped.
Not one of my best days.
Tightening the bearings got rid of some noise but not the annoying clickity click approximately twice per pedal revolution that I'm trying to track down. Thought I had it but the first bump I hit back it came. If I stop pedalling then start again sometimes it goes away until the next bump or cadence change. Weird.

I had been making a tool to check the wheel alignment when Harry produced a video on the subject. What he had was pretty much what I made. It is quite different to the one I made for the trike that checks at the tyre centre. This one measures at the rim.

Here is the video if you are interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShUQwhDMpE

I had a win. The track is close to zero toe in or out. That might change with some weight in the velo though.
The back is in the air and nose down with no load and it rotates towards level with a passenger. I suspect the toe may change because of this but Harry doesn't seem to think it necessary to load the machine.

The adjustment is fairly coarse in any event as you can only do complete turns of the rod end and each turn equates to about 3mm.

I'm still waiting for the 22T sprocket so will have to email again. I do need it I think. The gearing is way too high for me with low a around 30 GI. Will be nearer 26 with the 22T mid drive cog.

I moved the seat back again because I couldn't use the cockpit cover with the seat forward. I made a stop so the deraileur can't catch the big ring. Still have to be careful and only use a couple of gears when in small ring but at least it won't be a calamity if I forget or miss.

I think everything is getting close to set up how I want it finally.

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:13 pm

John Lewis wrote:I think everything is getting close to set up how I want it finally.
John
I better not come down for another test ride then :roll: , really would help if I hear from sinner about my quote. I hope I get it this week wed-fri..
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Yep. I'd like to hear about my 22T sprocket too. From what Harry said it seems they are aware of your query. Just got to get a reply.

I emailed about same time as you to remind them. Harry says they replied and sent? but nothing yet.
I've had no email. Wonder how long it would take sent normal post?

I'm even thinking of a Sram Dualdrive like my trike although I dislike them. I could get a range of probably 15 to 120 GI that way. It's weight and complications though

John
Last edited by John Lewis on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burnt

Postby burnt » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:17 pm

If it is any consolation, I'm still waiting for my 22T cog, as well as the battery charger which never arrived. Have sent emails, to no avail. Maybe they put it in Rhubarb's shipment, but not hopeful.

Obviously have purchased my own charger, suggested they could supply some spokes or parts up to the charger value, but nothing heard on that either!
Still, its still a pleasure to ride! Back to work tomorrow after 3 weeks off, will be riding the Mango!

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:37 pm

burnt wrote: .........Still, its still a pleasure to ride! Back to work tomorrow after 3 weeks off, will be riding the Mango!
Back to work eh? Now that could be hard to take but at least you have the consolation of riding the mango. :D Hope the WX is nice , clear sky and no rain.

John

burnt

Postby burnt » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Not looking great at the moment, raining, again!!

Riggsbie

Living with a velomobile

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Just had the "your Mango is ready to ship" email from Sinner.....

Now have to work out the best way to send the outstanding funds.....

My Mango is only a few weeks away, woo hoo !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Woo hoo +1
:mrgreen:

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

william

Postby william » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:04 pm

The Looooooooooonggggggggggessssssssssssst few weeks in your life......

Sorry!

william

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Just had the "your Mango is ready to ship" email from Sinner.....
Yee Haa!!!

Great news. I think mine took about 5 days to arrive in Aus from when I paid the balance.
A little bird told me there is another one arrived or about to arrive in Brissie as well.
How long have you been waiting? Mine was 7 months.

In Harry's wheel adjust vid there is a spanking new RE behind the mango he's demonstrating on. Could that be yours?

John

Riggsbie

Living with a velomobile

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:26 pm

I will recheck Harry's latest tutorial, it could be my Mango in the background.....

I didn't get my quote until 1st March with a target shipping date in week23, so my one is only 5 weeks late, I think..... So pretty good going.....

My money is tied up in a high interest bank account so it'll take a few weeks to get my money sorted which is a shame really, I could have had the money ready if Sinner we a little more communicative ;-)

Can't really grumble, just hope the Euro exchange stays good or a Few more weeks !

(AT) William - you are a devil ! Hehehe.....

william

Postby william » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:29 am

I'm not a patient man I'm afraid.
I'm sure I would seriously think about an air flight and come back with it.
My postie just throws my mail in the bushes without stopping now since I rugby tackled him off his bike one day wanting to know where my package is. I need to learn patience.

william.

mozart

Postby mozart » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:37 am

Rhubarb wrote:
mozart wrote: .... Am carefully deliberate on three velomobile, Mango Sport Red Edition as well Mango Tour and carbon Quest . My primary purpose is mainly be on country road & town than on bike trail that why I thinking more to the Quest .I have been reading a lot & looking on youtube I am very impress with nitramluap video. Where I store velomobile I will plenty room I have got a wide doors to go through If I do go way I will have velomobile in enclosed trailer for safety . I don't have to go work I retired in 09 , lease the farm out, more time on my hands.
I will make mind up next week, but I very happy to take your advice to

James
OK in that case it seems that a Carbon Quest XS should do you very nicely. I think you are wise to go the Carbon XS though as you do need to minimise weight as your leg strength will slowly deteriorate at your age (it is even at mine - 44 ha! ). There are lighter velos (evo-K etc) but these are minimalist velos biased towards track racing, with reduced ground clearance etc. The mango can also be made in carbon to reduce about 4 kgs.

Luggage may be your last consideration. The Mango Tour has 130 L of luggage space compared to 65 in Mango Sport, 60 in normal Quest, assume something less in Quest XS. This is the space behind the seat. You also have storage beside the seat. This may be a factor if you intend to do some touring, or utility cycling (bringing home groceries etc).

Lastly, if you have any decent hills in your area, go the 11-34. You can always swap cassettes if you need to. The mango actually offers a wider range of gearing options (NuVinci, Rohloff, SRAM Dual Drive etc) as well as e-assist options due to its mid drive configuration, but I assume you have already thought through this.

Keep us updated on whatever you do.
Just update , I just put my order into Sinner on a New Mango Tour , instead of Carbon Quest XS, I have taken your advice,I have look more into it , Mango tour will be heaver than Quest ,but the gears are better on Mango for hills, thanks for all advices, and help me to make my mind up on mango

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Nice one Mozart !

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:55 pm

So as of last Wednesday I am officially "Living with a velomobile" :mrgreen:

I bought a Sinner Mango Sport Red Edition. It is my daily commuter, all weather.

I could go on for ages but in short, it is very comfortable and heaps of fun !!! I absolutely love it.

The only thing to be aware of is the hills - you will notice the extra weight so make sure you get gearing to compensate. I have a short hill on my commute that's around 20% for 100m but its at the start of my commute so hard but do-able. Thats immediately followed by a 1km hill at avg 5%. The other side of this (on my way home) the hill goes for 300m at 12-15%, then another 300 at around 5%. You always get a red light at the bottom too so no run up, just hard pedalling. On my road bike you still feel reasonably stuffed but not the same as the velo. I've ridden home twice now and had to stop and have a rest both times at about 3/4 of the way up the steep bit.

I should state that I have been riding these hills every day for 3 years now and I have done about 20,000 kms in this time so my legs are not new to cycling. They are however new to recumbents and it seems to be different. That said, I destroyed my legs on Sat with a 100km ride and today's commute was already easier than Thursdays. I currently have an 11-28 on the back and was going to swap it for a 11-32 (max that will fit on Mango is 32) but I like the close ratios of the 11-28. Theory tells me that going to the mango represents a 20% increase in gross mass, but a 30 front to 28 rear cog (with 26 to 18 final drive and 20" wheels) represents a 25% reduction in gearing from my 39/25 road bike. So I'm going to hang out a few more weeks to see if my legs adjust.

The flip side to these hills is coming down. I roll down at over 70km/hr. Crawling up then bombing down really is like riding a roller coaster, just more fun.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:48 pm

70 kph !

Good work !

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Gee two to reply to here.
Mozart:
Good to see you have taken the plunge and at the same time broken the mango sport RE run. We will be waiting for a report and some pictures in due course.
Congratulations.

Rhubarb:

Yes great courage shown there jumping into a heavy velo and then riding 100 km before the "bent legs" have time to develop.
I think slightly different muscle groups are used to a DF so I expect you will see improvements. I thought I'd never climb with the 11 -28 52 -39 -30 combinations. I also have the problem of limited use of the gears in the 30 ring. I can only use the 28 and the next down. After that I have to go to the 39 ring. None the less I'm finding I can climb the hills round here, all be it slowly and with protesting knees.
I therefore predict that in no time you will be wondering what it was all about and giving Paul a run for his money round the Nudgee track.

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:09 pm

mozart wrote:
Just update , I just put my order into Sinner on a New Mango Tour , instead of Carbon Quest XS, I have taken your advice,I have look more into it , Mango tour will be heaver than Quest ,but the gears are better on Mango for hills, thanks for all advices, and help me to make my mind up on mango
So how long did you wait for pricing? I'm now into my 4th week waiting to hear back about a quote and apparently they are awaiting the shipping price...

mozart

Postby mozart » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
mozart wrote:
So how long did you wait for pricing? I'm now into my 4th week waiting to hear back about a quote and apparently they are awaiting the shipping price...
I was waiting for Two weeks , I PM Harry on BentRider forum last week see if they had my email, Harry , Sinner bikes they got back to me on next day on quote and shipping price,

burnt

Postby burnt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:24 pm

So what is the Aus Velo count up to now?

Bris 3
Vic 1 & 2 pending?
WA 1& 1 pending?

Thats up to 8 already, its the new thing I tell you, and we are the trend setters!!
So come on NSW, SA and TAS (hate to leave them off, you get into trouble for that-I used to live there!) and Territory friends-lift your game!!

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:48 pm

burnt wrote:So what is the Aus Velo count up to now?

Bris 3
Vic 1 & 2 pending?
WA 1& 1 pending?

Thats up to 8 already, its the new thing I tell you, and we are the trend setters!!
So come on NSW, SA and TAS (hate to leave them off, you get into trouble for that-I used to live there!) and Territory friends-lift your game!!
I think there are quite a few out there. The actual and pending we're looking at are all Mangos.
There are certainly some Rotovelos, Glydes, and one offs around.
I think it was Aushiker posted a bit of video of one on a cycle path in Perth a while back. I had a bit of a search but I can't seem to find it again.
Edit.
It was here in this thread page 13 and post of Mar 15 2012 by Aushiker

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:45 pm

WOOHOO

Finally got my quote :)
just shy of 10k inc shipping with current exchange rates
EURO DROP DROP DROP DROP :mrgreen:

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:07 am

Baalzamon wrote:WOOHOO

Finally got my quote :)
just shy of 10k inc shipping with current exchange rates
EURO DROP DROP DROP DROP :mrgreen:
Now you just need to find the sheckels, moolah, dollars.
I've noticed how theEuro is running. Seems I got mine too soon. :D
John