Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby nitramluap » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Well... the longer it takes, the cheaper it gets! :-D

http://www.theage.com.au/business/marke ... 1pmaf.html
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 pm

It was suggested to me via a pm when the exchange rate hit 0.80, to open an account and put the Euros needed for the velo in there. Idea being to guard against a drop. I'm hanging off though wondering how much further it will go so watching closely. The exchange rate was about 0.69 when I paid the deposit.

Paul, have you heard anything of the other Mango that was coming to Aus?

A while back I saw a Mango advertised on Gumtree. It was in Brisbane and looked and sounded suspiciously like yours. A scam?

This is what Google still shows but the listing has disappeared it seems.

brisbane.gumtree(dot)com(dot)au › Gumtree Queensland
Gumtree: Sinner Mango Sport Velomobile RARE wow · Sinner Mango Sport Velomobile RARE wow. Turn signals Dashboard Headlight with tilt and hi/low beam....

Edit. Found this cached. Not the same one. The one i saw was red and white.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=au

John
Last edited by John Lewis on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:28 pm

John Lewis wrote:It was suggested to me via a pm when the exchange rate hit 0.80, to open an account and put the Euros needed for the velo in there. Idea being to guard against a drop. I'm hanging off though wondering how much further it will go so watching closely. The exchange rate was about 0.69 when I paid the deposit.

Paul, have you heard anything of the other Mango that was coming to Aus?

A while back I saw a Mango advertised on Gumtree. It was in Brisbane and looked and sounded suspiciously like yours. A scam?

This is what Google still shows but the listing has disappeared it seems.

brisbane.gumtree.com.au › Gumtree Queensland
Gumtree: Sinner Mango Sport Velomobile RARE wow · Sinner Mango Sport Velomobile RARE wow. Turn signals Dashboard Headlight with tilt and hi/low beam....

John
The other one has been delivered to Melbourne. It is the second Mango in the country and as far as I'm aware there are no others...

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Just edited my previous post with a cached link. Not the same one i saw before though. Here it is again

John

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:44 pm

John Lewis wrote:Just edited my previous post with a cached link. Not the same one i saw before though. Here it is again

John
It is possible that this person bought it overseas and brought it to Australia (or bought it from a previous owner overseas)... I've never seen it around but that doesn't mean much!

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:28 pm

John that wooden Quest replica would be a fairly weighty body once completed I would imagine?

Any news on your baby?

Ricky

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:02 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:John that wooden Quest replica would be a fairly weighty body once completed I would imagine?

Any news on your baby?

Ricky
Nothing yet I'm afraid. Holiday period has to be taken into account I suppose. It's now close to 3 months since I sent deposit and 16 th November after I whinged on BROL I got acknowledgement. They said that it was "Born" so being built. They claim to build 6 a month I think so I guess around the end of January I should hear from them. I think others have mentioned about a 4 month total wait so that will be about right.

I recall reading that the wooden Quest weighed 29 kg so that would be a bit lighter than the fibreglass one at I think 34kg.

John

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:12 am

It wouldn't be so bad if they kept you in the loop as to the stage your baby is at because a wait of that length is annoying in the fact that you have paid with little in the way of updates.

That wooden velo is darn light then looking at the build images I thought it would be on the heavy side but if that is all it is then it's impressive.

Ricky

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:37 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:It wouldn't be so bad if they kept you in the loop as to the stage your baby is at because a wait of that length is annoying in the fact that you have paid with little in the way of updates.

That wooden velo is darn light then looking at the build images I thought it would be on the heavy side but if that is all it is then it's impressive.

Ricky
Busy people I guess. Rather they are building my Mango than spending all day in the office sending mail.
I did try phoning and got to talk but it was unsatisfactory due to a bad line and my hearing problems. Made me feel like a fool so I didn't try to phone again.

Re the Quest: Yes I thought the same. Pity I can't find any more on the net about it.

John

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:10 am

John Lewis wrote:Just edited my previous post with a cached link. Not the same one i saw before though. Here it is again

John
Very interesting. I don't visit Gumtree. Please let me know if you see another one on there.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:25 pm

Rhubarb wrote:

John
Very interesting. I don't visit Gumtree. Please let me know if you see another one on there.
I don't either. I came across the ad originally when Googling for Quests and Mangos in Australia to see what I could find wondering how many there might be. Only two for certain at this time. Three when I get mine unless there are more coming.

They used to have on original site a list of new owners and the Velos number. That seems to not be working now since the move of the Mango to LigfietsGarage and Quests being manufactured in Canada too(Blue Velo) . A pity really.
This map from Blue Velo shows location of Velos in differet areas. Not sure if only those they have built or not but it shows three in Australia.One near adelaide and two near Hamilton in Vic. Looking att the big map I find the Adelaide one is a trike. One of the Hamilton ones is an Alleweder. The other is not stated.
http://www.bluevelo.com/VELOMOBILE_MAP.html
Large Scale Map
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... urce=embed

John

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:41 pm

With all the Pedal Prix following that many of the schools are involved in I'm surprised to see such low numbers here in this country but again I guess these are a serious unit which for the school kids would be a massive fund raising events just to secure and lay there hands on one hence why they tend to build there own for the clubs. Wonder how accurate that showing is John of how many has landed in this country.

Ricky

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:With all the Pedal Prix following that many of the schools are involved in I'm surprised to see such low numbers here in this country but again I guess these are a serious unit which for the school kids would be a massive fund raising events just to secure and lay there hands on one hence why they tend to build there own for the clubs. Wonder how accurate that showing is John of how many has landed in this country.

Ricky
The one on Gumtree looked interesting and the photos suggested it wasn't in Brisbane when they were taken (I found more photos on another online listing - looked like they were taken in a cold climate). I am aware of a Mango (yellow) that was shipped to New Zealand around about 2010 so perhaps this person moved to Australia and decided they didn't want to ride it any more...? Who knows? The the fact that the mirror was on the left means that it was really built for a country that drives on the right... so who knows where it is really from. It may have been fake.

These velomobiles are serious bikes, built to last. The pedal prix bikes are not practical bikes and they're not really built to last... and they almost deliberately bump into each other, hence the need for roll cages & whatnot. I'm still surprised that none of them have any negative camber on the front wheels (like the Mango) to give them more stability in the corners...

Marx

Postby Marx » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:58 pm

nitramluap wrote:
Marx wrote:Sorry I haven’t read this thread – juz looit at da pichas – but in Aust, do you have to wear a helmet whilst ensconced in these things?
Yes, sadly, as it is the law for all cyclists, at all times, in all locations (except private property) to wear a bicycle helmet. I wear one half the time but always have one with me in the velomobile... just in case I get pulled over. I'd hate to have to 'walk it home'! Most of the time I'd rather ride with a cap to keep the sun off my nose or enjoy the wind in my hair.
I thought bicycles (and laws relating to them) had two wheels.
Wearing a helmet in a velomobile is like being indoor during a rain shower under a umbrella.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:04 pm

nitramluap wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:With all the Pedal Prix following that many of the schools are involved in I'm surprised to see such low numbers here in this country but again I guess these are a serious unit which for the school kids would be a massive fund raising events just to secure and lay there hands on one hence why they tend to build there own for the clubs. Wonder how accurate that showing is John of how many has landed in this country.

Ricky
The one on Gumtree looked interesting and the photos suggested it wasn't in Brisbane when they were taken (I found more photos on another online listing - looked like they were taken in a cold climate). I am aware of a Mango (yellow) that was shipped to New Zealand around about 2010 so perhaps this person moved to Australia and decided they didn't want to ride it any more...? Who knows? The the fact that the mirror was on the left means that it was really built for a country that drives on the right... so who knows where it is really from. It may have been fake.

These velomobiles are serious bikes, built to last. The pedal prix bikes are not practical bikes and they're not really built to last... and they almost deliberately bump into each other, hence the need for roll cages & whatnot. I'm still surprised that none of them have any negative camber on the front wheels (like the Mango) to give them more stability in the corners...
Nitram how do you enlarge that picky on guntree or can't you?

You have a good point there about the mirror and that would suggest that it wasn't for OZ to start with but then the owner of that Velo may have a very good reason for that mirror location. I have never seen any pedal prix set-ups so I don't know how well there built but looking at images from the web on school pedal prix the shells look like Corflute to me. I also didn't know these things had roll cages but I guess the kids have to be protected.

At least when John gets his we will see some amazing images and speaking of images do you have yours plastered around here somewhere Nitram? It was funny to read you have had folks chase you down to speak to you about your velo.

Ricky

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:18 am

Hi Ricky,

Paul has a stack of You Tube. This one is a good introduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ssP0vJ5s4

There is also a thread somewhere here in this recumbent section. This one I think.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 87#p635087

John

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:09 am

Marx wrote:I thought bicycles (and laws relating to them) had two wheels.
Wearing a helmet in a velomobile is like being indoor during a rain shower under a umbrella.

No, a bicycle is any human powered vehicle driven by pedals with two or more wheels. Only unicycles seem to be excluded... and this could force them under the umbrella of a 'wheeled recreational device' for which you don't need a bicycle helmet but you are restricted as to where you can take it. :(

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:13 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
Nitram how do you enlarge that picky on guntree or can't you?

You have a good point there about the mirror and that would suggest that it wasn't for OZ to start with but then the owner of that Velo may have a very good reason for that mirror location. I have never seen any pedal prix set-ups so I don't know how well there built but looking at images from the web on school pedal prix the shells look like Corflute to me. I also didn't know these things had roll cages but I guess the kids have to be protected.

At least when John gets his we will see some amazing images and speaking of images do you have yours plastered around here somewhere Nitram? It was funny to read you have had folks chase you down to speak to you about your velo.

Ricky
I found another bicycle classifieds with pictures of it when I was at work yesterday - I forgot to bookmark it! If I find it, I'll post it here. There where about 4 photographs and none of them were taken in the area the velomobile claimed to reside in. It's possible that it is a recent immigrant.

I have my mirror on the 'traffic side' as I only have one. This is a common setup. I don't need a mirror to my left although two are better than one.

The pedal prix bikes need roll cages as they ride like maniacs and are always tipping them!! The irony is that if you removed the roll cages and left the cockpits open they would ride more carefully and not roll them! ;)

As John mentioned, I have plenty of videos on YouTube :)

Cheers,

Paul

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:26 am

Wow after looking at Paul's detailed video John I can now really understand why you guys have made the purchase they really are a well laid out machine. I take it that all the switches,lights,horn and covers all come with the velo in the purchase price or is that an added extra? Thanks Paul for a really great look around your beast that video is a great introduction to someone like me to understand these vehicles. I'm impressed to see how much room for touring gear is in them and having never wanted to own a velo because I like the open space that video has got me thinking differently about these machines and if I was to take the plunge I think the Mango has won the sale I'm that gob smacked you guys rock.

Ricky

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:42 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Wow after looking at Paul's detailed video John I can now really understand why you guys have made the purchase they really are a well laid out machine. I take it that all the switches,lights,horn and covers all come with the velo in the purchase price or is that an added extra? Thanks Paul for a really great look around your beast that video is a great introduction to someone like me to understand these vehicles. I'm impressed to see how much room for touring gear is in them and having never wanted to own a velo because I like the open space that video has got me thinking differently about these machines and if I was to take the plunge I think the Mango has won the sale I'm that gob smacked you guys rock.

Ricky
I'm glad you enjoyed! :)

The only 'installed' extra that I ordered was the brake light - essentially there is a little switch on the brake levers that brightens the rear red LED when I brake. It helps give those behind me an idea of what I'm up to and it is very bright at night and still visible during the day... otherwise, mine is a standard Red Edition. I also ordered the flevo roof as an extra but you can buy this at any time really...

The Mango Tour has even more storage space (almost double the volume - 130L I think) and it does this by not having the scalloped 'waist' that the Mango Sport & Mango Sport Red Edition have. Even in mine there is enough for clothing, a small tent & a sleeping bag plus room for food, water & spare parts/tools.

Cheers,

Paul

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Cheers Paul I have now found the tourer model and it's nice to know that this company supplies just about the complete kit in the price rather than paying for extras.

Ricky

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:00 am

Hi Ricky,

I ordered the Flevo roof as you see on Paul's and also the racehood as it was 25% off if in original order.
Wonder if you have yours yet Paul? I think you had ordered it.

As no charge is shown for the brake light that I ordered I think it must be standard now.
I'm getting two mirrors. I have 2 on the trike and find the second one quite handy.

One thing I ordered was a trailer hook. I may have need from time to time as we like to take the dog in the trailer. The only thing is that it seems to be sticking out at shin height. I'm hoping it can be removed when not in use.

To whet your appetite here's a link I was sent to some photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1017972907 ... Photoshoot

Shots of trailer hook.

http://www.sinnerbikes.com/new_sinner_m ... F3470.html

John

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:27 am

John,

No racing hood yet... but I know it's in the line (somewhere)! :)

It's interesting looking at the photos and seeing all the subtle differences from my Mango. They're clearly putting in a lot of tweaks to improve the design. It not only looks neater but it appears that they've designed it to require less adjustment (or that adjustment is easier). The brake lever looks much neater and the bottom bracket & derailleur mount has been redesigned.

They are all backwardly compatible - ie. I could buy a new steering column or bottom bracket and fit it to my Mango without any dramas.

Cheers,

Paul
PS: Did a little video of me tightening the bottom bracket (and removing it) with the Mango on its side. Will upload it soon.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:16 am

John Lewis wrote:To whet your appetite here's a link I was sent to some photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1017972907 ... Photoshoot

Shots of trailer hook.

http://www.sinnerbikes.com/new_sinner_m ... F3470.html

John
Hi John,

How did you find the link to the Mango Tour photos? There is no link to those photos anywhere on their website - at least none that I could find. I found another link to other customers velos in various stages of build, via the german velomobile forum. But even this did not include these Mango Tour photos.

So I'm wondering how many other hidden photos / info there is, and how to find them all ?

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 am

nitramluap wrote: I found another bicycle classifieds with pictures of it when I was at work yesterday - I forgot to bookmark it! If I find it, I'll post it here. There where about 4 photographs and none of them were taken in the area the velomobile claimed to reside in. It's possible that it is a recent immigrant.
Here's the link I think you're talking about: http://bicyclingaustralia.com/classifieds/view/6694/

I emailed the seller yesterday to see if its still for sale. No response as yet.

I agree its either dodgy or a recent immigrant, since the mirror is on the left side of the Mango, the photo on the bike path shows it on the right hand side of a 2 way path, and they quote in miles and lbs for its odometer and weight. They give its build number (Mango # 261) so no doubt you could check with Sinner. I'm sure they'd respond promptly to an email enquiry .....

If it turns out to be a genuine immigrant, I'll go and check it out. Its not my ideal configuration but could be very interesting and fun to DIY mod if I could get it cheap enough. I wouldn't pay $6k for it though since it doesn't come with roof etc. By the time I upgraded / installed a few extras it would be nearly the cost of a new one.

If I hear back from "Edward" I'll let you know.