I did used to use the 808#16 but I have recently upgraded to an RD32ii. Its kind of a poor man's Contour / GoPro
but its excellent value at $116 USD delivered.
Here is the link: http://dx.com/p/hd-1080p-mini-sports-dv ... ser-119097
The camera cost $116.50 USD including shipping and I got in a about 2 weeks or just under.
The key features for me:
- Full HD 1920 x 1080p (AT) 30 fps
- Wide angle 140 deg which seems to give good vision without the extreme fish eye effect (bending poles etc)
- battery lasts 2.5 hours, but for I can also charge and record at the same time via the USB ports in my velo, giving me virtually unlimited time.
- small streamlined form factor (weight 86g)
- It also has a nice vibration thing when you hit buttons, so if you helmet mounted it, you could tell if you turned it on correctly etc.
The downside is the standard handle bar mount. It is crap. It has play in it which just shakes and moves all over the place. Terrible video. They come with other mounts too which look good for some other purposes but I mainly want handle bar. So if you want to handlebar mount, I currently use one of these: http://dx.com/p/universal-bicycle-swive ... 28&u=21314
This works fine on normal handlebar diameters but I mount mine on a skinnier bar mount thing, so I have ordered one of these: http://dx.com/p/360-degrees-rotation-mo ... ght-167007
My current one is fine but I think the new one will grip the bar tighter and thus be steadier at speed / bumpy roads.
If you want a thorough review, check out Techmoan's 2 part review of the camera:
- part 1: http://youtu.be/TKQSRQ7lfwM
- part 2: http://youtu.be/N7EzM3pxDuc
This will run you through the features pretty thoroughly. Just ignore the part where he says the handle bar mount is fine. It isn't - its crap.
Overall, I'm very happy with my new camera and I think its excellent value. The extra features of more expensive cameras (GoPro/Contour etc), eg wifi, built in gps etc, I just don't need. I've only had it a few weeks but really love the full hd. Oh and it also has excellent sound for cycling as the microphone is at the back so you don't pick up all the wind noise that other cameras do.