Brisbane Meetup: Nudgee Criterium Track (31 December 2011)

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Brisbane Meetup: Nudgee Criterium Track (31 December 2011)

Postby nitramluap » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Sorry for the late notice, but a few of us over at www.brisbanecyclist.com have organised an informal meet/ride at the Nudgee Criterium Track this Saturday from 7:00... Just a bit of fun doing some laps, checking out other 'bent bikes and perhaps test rides...

Cheers,

Paul
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D
nitramluap

by BNA » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:14 am

BNA

Re: Brisbane Meetup: Nudgee Criterium Track (31 December 201

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:14 am

Hope you had fun this morning. I was tempted to come along just to maybe test ride someones trike, but I did a big ride yesterday morning (first in a while) and I'm feeling it. So I took the kids for a leisurely ride to the park instead (3kms (AT) <10km/hr :) ).

On a slightly different note, on thursday morning, I took a ride up to the end of Upper Brookfield Rd. Basically its a 200m climb over about 10kms, then back down. The road winds its way up the valley crossing the creek many times. A year ago much of this was a rough surface but they have virtually resealed the entire road this year (maybe flood repairs?) Anyway, all the way up I was thinking about just what a beautiful morning it was and how much I enjoying my ride etc, all the way down all I could think of is "how good would this descent be in a Mango !!!" Imagine a windy, slightly rolling 10kms at -2% avg gradient (never too steep), fast sweeping corners, picturesque countryside, smooth hotmix bitumen and almost no cars (at 6am). You seriously need to do it.
Rhubarb

Postby nitramluap » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:38 pm

Now that sounds like fun. Next time you want to head out that way give me a yodel... I'll be there!

The meet up was great and we all had a chance to test ride each others' machines. Great fun. Hopefully it will grow from here.
nitramluap

Postby PawPaw » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:21 pm

Hiya Nitra, I was one of a group of three who'd been down to Wello Pt who said hello to you outside the Nundah Coffee Club. I'd be interested to mosey on down to the crit when you next organize a meet. Have you guys ever recorded fastest lap around the criterium track? A Grade packs I've recorded sustain 45kph = 1m36s.

BTW, there's a new and excellent cafe (Jett) about 600 metres north of the criterium track on corner of Hedley Av and York St. They were open for 2 hours Christmas morning and are open tomorrow.
PawPaw

Postby nitramluap » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:48 pm

PawPaw wrote:Hiya Nitra, I was one of a group of three who'd been down to Wello Pt who said hello to you outside the Nundah Coffee Club. I'd be interested to mosey on down to the crit when you next organize a meet. Have you guys ever recorded fastest lap around the criterium track? A Grade packs I've recorded sustain 45kph = 1m36s.

Good to meet you!

On the track today I was averaging about 48km/h (I did three laps in a row at this pace) and I'm no A Grade cyclist and was a bit tired from a ride the other day. I reckon on my DF with the same output I'd probably only hold 35km/h or so... I'm not entirely sure, but I couldn't average 45km/h for long at all on my DF.

I'd love to see an A Grade cyclist riding a velomobile. My guess is that they would average closer to 55-60km/h and they could probably hold that for an hour or so. As the velomobile weighs 29kg it isn't great for quick acceleration but it does allow you to accelerate to greater speeds and hold them more easily. It's a very different 'feel' compared to riding my road bike. Once you're used to it, it's really enjoyable.

PawPaw wrote:BTW, there's a new and excellent cafe (Jett) about 600 metres north of the criterium track on corner of Hedley Av and York St. They were open for 2 hours Christmas morning and are open tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up. We might try that next time as the coffee club isn't the greatest (sorry to any franchise holders out there...;))

Cheers,

Paul
PS: My username is just my name backwards (Paul Martin) 8)
nitramluap

Postby marinmomma » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:03 pm

PawPaw wrote:
BTW, there's a new and excellent cafe (Jett) about 600 metres north of the criterium track on corner of Hedley Av and York St. They were open for 2 hours Christmas morning and are open tomorrow.

Good news, is the coffee good?? It should do ok, being so close to the track and bike path and all....
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby PawPaw » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 pm

marinmomma wrote:
PawPaw wrote:

Good news, is the coffee good?? It should do ok, being so close to the track and bike path and all....

Excellent refers to the coffee...... :)
The guys running it are very experienced and are roasting their own. They serve everything in styrofoam cups up to bucket size, and are very adept at getting orders out.
The principal is taking out the lease on the house behind the shop soon, and it has a swimming pool. I said to him this morning gee that pool looks inviting, and he replied it'd be on the cards when he takes the house lease. Also talked to him about targeting the cyclists from the crit, with recovery drinks, protein and carb shakes, electrolyte drinks, great sandwiches, burgers......and brilliant coffee...He is in the right spot to become Brisbane's answer to Melbourne's Cafe Racer.
PawPaw

Return to Recumbents