Speed of Recumbent Trikes?

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Re: Speed of Recumbent Trikes?

Postby Joeblake » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Phil wrote:
Getting some very weird looks from car drivers, and strangely enough get given more space than I have even gotten on the DF.

I've been 'bent triking since early '90s, and that is a very common experience. People will cross over double lines to overtake me. Although there is usually more than sufficient road space to pass without crossing the line, I ain't complaining. :mrgreen:

Hope you continue to enjoy the 3-wheel experience. I wouldn't swap (permanently) for quids.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell
Many people feel their lifestyle has a high price, but they're quite cool with that .. as long as somebody ELSE pays the price.
Joeblake

by BNA » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:37 pm

BNA

Postby Phil » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Joeblake wrote:
Phil wrote:
Getting some very weird looks from car drivers, and strangely enough get given more space than I have even gotten on the DF.

I've been 'bent triking since early '90s, and that is a very common experience. People will cross over double lines to overtake me. Although there is usually more than sufficient road space to pass without crossing the line, I ain't complaining. :mrgreen:

Hope you continue to enjoy the 3-wheel experience. I wouldn't swap (permanently) for quids.

Joe

Getting there Joe.

Expect to see some DFs for sale on the trading post the way its going.
Phil

Postby loves2ride » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:24 pm

I have a Catrike 2010 expedition R. I generally find it to be about 2/3 the speed of my road bike. Up the hills though i half speed, with no gravity to assist you out of the pedals plus the extra bike weight. Down the hills i reckon i may go a touch faster, although having gone on two wheels once or twice while cornering downhill, I take it a little easier if im not going in a straight line.
loves2ride

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Did my first River loop a couple of hours ago on the trike. 27.5kmh solo and with a mild to moderate Freo Doctor. My best effort on a DF roadie was around 32.5kmh, typically solo I was around 28.5-29kmh on the roadie in the mornings.
Phil

Postby John Lewis » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:44 am

Gah! I hate you blokes. 25.5 kmh!
My usual average on the trike is more like 12 kmh and unlikely to improve. Of course age just might be part of it. :D
Anyway Phil, It sounds like you will be happy with that and enjoying the trike experience. With a few more km under the legs you should be scorching.

John
John Lewis

Previous

Return to Recumbents