Recumbent Get Together

Hotdog

Re: Recumbent Get Together

Postby Hotdog » Fri May 11, 2012 2:09 pm

OK, I've marked it in my calendar :)

Regarding the route, I found the SOP bicycle route map which does show how to get to the start of the cycleway proper from SOP, and a map covering the cycleway to its end at Tempe. Neither map is all that great (especially the first one, it's a horrible low resolution pixmap PDF that should have been vector based) but if you used them together with something like Google Maps to get a better resolution view you can follow the route.

Anyone familiar enough with Brighton le Sands to suggest a coffee stop location? It sounds like we're going to be a pretty big group, it would probably be worthwhile contacting the nominated cafe ahead of time to make sure they'd have room, maybe even reserving tables once we have a good idea of what our numbers will be.
2010 Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 (700c) custom
2006 Bacchetta Giro 26 (700c) customised
Strava profile

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat May 12, 2012 5:31 pm

It's a date!! :D

I'll be 'benting from Fairfield to SOP along the Liverpool - Parramatta RailTrail, 'n the track below the M4.
Feel free to PM me if u wanna meet up somewhere 'n tag along. 8)
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

nessbike

Postby nessbike » Tue May 15, 2012 8:25 am

Thanks David, I'll put the details on the Canberra OzHPV list and hopefully a few of us will make the journey down the highway again. We'll be racing out at Stromlo on the Sat, but should still get a few to back up. If you can dial up some of that warm weather you had last week it would be good - been riding in temps well south of double digits (and occasionally south of zero) down here the last few days!

Cheers Alex

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue May 15, 2012 8:51 am

nessbike wrote:Thanks David, I'll put the details on the Canberra OzHPV list and hopefully a few of us will make the journey down the highway again. We'll be racing out at Stromlo on the Sat, but should still get a few to back up. If you can dial up some of that warm weather you had last week it would be good - been riding in temps well south of double digits (and occasionally south of zero) down here the last few days!

Cheers Alex
We'll be very happy to welcome you and appreciate you making the trek. There certainly seems to be a very active recumbent community down in Canberra. As far as the weather is concerned - I have put in my order with the Gods, but fear they may have misunderstood the dates, as we had lovely high twenties temperatures a week or so ago and it's been getting colder every day since! 6 deg on my ride in yesterday morning. At this rate it will be sub zero for the ride :(

David

rdp_au

Re: Recumbent Get Together *Update*

Postby rdp_au » Tue May 15, 2012 3:25 pm

All,

The Bike North group will be joining us on this ride, so our little band is growing even larger. They have listed it in their calendar as the 'Botany Bay Bacon: Botany Bay for 'Bents!' All 'bents and those interested in 'bents are welcome.

The Bike North group will be meeting at Meadowbank Wharf at 0800 and riding over the Rhodes bridge to meet up with us at the Lillies in the park cafe at 0830. Anyone from the northside could join them at Meadowbank for the ride to SOP if you choose.

We all plan to leave Lillies together at 0845. Coffee will be at Brighton Le Sands. Look forward to meeting you all.

Blackcat

Postby Blackcat » Sun May 27, 2012 11:39 am

Guys,

I'm hoping to join the ride too next week - HPV Scorpion trike.
Here is a map of the last time I rode down Cooks River http://connect.garmin.com/activity/114923702
Is this your planned route? Note I only went as far as Tempe railway station that time and caught the train back as it got too dark to ride back without lights!

***FYI trikes will have an issue with the narrow path as it goes under the Canterbury Road bridge and my map shows an alternative route over the bridge for the fatties :oops: .

Cheers,
Colin

HPV Scorpion Trike
+ BionX

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue May 29, 2012 8:57 am

Welcome aboard Blackcat! Thanks for the feedback about the route - I think we will have a few trikes in the group so this is useful information. Perhaps we might let people know at the start and then regroup where your diversion rejoins the normal route. I'll forward this to the Bike North and OZHPV people as well.

Weather is looking a bit dodgy for Sunday at this stage. Hopefully things will improve later in the week.

Rds,

David

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Strava profile

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Awww damn, you guys need to be in Perth
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rdp_au

Re: Recumbent Get Together **Cancelled**

Postby rdp_au » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Sigh...weeks of perfect weather, then this... :( :(

I am going to suggest that we cancel for a week or two. Weather really doesn't look good.

Frustration...

David

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Maybe wait until tomorrow morning before making the call. The weather forecast has gotten marginally more positive since this morning (now saying 'Heavy shower' for 9am and 12 noon instead of 'Rain' and 'Heavy rain'), it may not be all that wet after all.
Strava profile

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:37 pm

...."it may not be all that wet after all...." :(

The forecast aint lookin' all that crash hot :cry:

What's the executive decision?? :?: :?:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:52 pm

I was wondering the same thing...

It's a tough call. The forecast now says rain, easing during the day. That could mean essentially continuous rain until well into the afternoon, or it could mean rain early easing to intermittent showers during the morning. :?
Strava profile

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Hotdog wrote:I was wondering the same thing...

It's a tough call. The forecast now says rain, easing during the day. That could mean essentially continuous rain until well into the afternoon, or it could mean rain early easing to intermittent showers during the morning. :?

yeh Hotdog,
that was my train of thought too... :|
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:16 pm

All,

My recommendation is to cancel. At best we will riding through showers, at worst, heavy rain :(. To be honest, I think I'm coming down with a cold and the idea of spending several hours out in the cold and wet doesn't sound too appealing.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Forgot to mention, Bike North are planning to cancel.

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:29 pm

Well that sounds like a decision to me. A shame, but probably the sensible thing to do.
Strava profile

Rowley Runner

Recumbent Get Together

Postby Rowley Runner » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:46 pm

It going to be wetter than a otters pocket. Think we have to cancel. Bummer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bents for La Tour

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:47 pm

sounds like discretion will be the better part of valour... :|

sometimes "sensibility" has to come to the front lol :wink:

Option 2:...
Sunday June 17?? :?:

Takers :?: :?:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

Blackcat

Postby Blackcat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Well Sunday was a great ride for those that missed out...

For those that turned up we had a pleasant 55km ride in the warm, dry winter sun :lol: to Botany where we stopped for a gourmet breakfast by the bay.
The return ride was a quicker pace for some... until I suffered my first puncture. I really questioned the wisdom of telling Craig just before the ride that this was the first time I decided to bring a spare tube with me... JINXed... and it was the rear wheel just to add to the pain - the front tubes have green goo in them and I never got around to doing the same to the rear.

Cheers,
Colin

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Ah, I feared that would happen!!! After the very unappetizing forecast on Friday and again on Saturday, it seemed the only variable was the amount of rain we’d be riding in. To be honest, I was coming down with a cold and the thought of spending a few hours getting wet wasn’t all that appealing. Felt the decision to cancel was somewhat vindicated when it started raining on Saturday night in Hornsby and was still drizzling on Sunday morning. By 0900 it was raining steadily again and it continued pretty much all day until late afternoon.

Glad to hear it was a dry ride :evil: Just goes to show that you've got to be innit to winnit

There has been a suggestion that we try again on the 17th June. I’m game, any other takers?

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:29 pm

I think Colin might have had his tongue in his cheek when talking about the winter sun... I live a stone's throw from Olympic Park and it basically rained all day at my house, and I don't think it was much better out Botany way either. I'm pretty sure those who did ride got well and truly wet. He may have been telling the truth about it being a great ride regardless though :)
Strava profile

Miles Sprocket

Postby Miles Sprocket » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi Folks,
I was so looking forward to Sunday. Cést la vie.

Here's my tupence worth:
I won't be able to attend next weekend (June 10th) and I've already put my name down to lead a beginner's ride on the following (June 17th) . Any other weekend after that in the near-medium term ( Except July 7th-8th) is OK for me. May I suggest June 21st.
I am familiar with route and am willing to help organise/ lead/ sweep etc for the next ride ( I am a qualified ride leader with BNSW).
Cheers,

Rowley Runner

Postby Rowley Runner » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Sad i missed out. However it would to see a regular bent ride somewhere in Syd. Anyone up for some M7 bike path night riding?? Velodrome meet? I am out west in windsor but am happy to head towards the city for some recumbent action. Really need to ride more to justify the cost of the Giro+new (in the post) disk brakes+new (being built) front wheel+ new lights....need i go on. Just need to get out there (hopefully with my new x9 shifters in place)

RR
Bents for La Tour

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:44 am

Rowley Runner wrote:Really need to ride more to justify the cost of the Giro+new (in the post) disk brakes+new (being built) front wheel+ new lights....need i go on.
Careful with that train of thought or you might end up committing yourself to BikeSnobNYC's "Dollar-a-Mile" rule :wink: At current exchange rates that works out at $0.64 per kilometre (or 1.56 km per $)... Hmmmmmmm, maybe I should revise my 2012 target on BikeJournal :shock:
Strava profile