Giro upgrade.

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Giro upgrade.

Postby Rowley Runner » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:51 pm

To be honest i am not one for upgrading parts until they wear out, however! I have done a fair few kms on my giro since buying it and found a few issues.

Issue One. When pulling off from traffic lights or in tight maneuvers in built up areas (like nipping to the shop to buy beer and cat food) I found myself changing gear unintentional due to the twist grips. Very uncool to lose the chain when you are between three lanes of traffic. I think this is due to the twist grip making up half the available Handel bar grip plus pressure exerted on the bars when pulling off or doing slow maneuvers. Solution x-9 trigger shifters (ebay $68)

Issue Two. Brakes not powerful enough. I am use to disks or V brakes. Solution Avid BB7 disks ($100)

Issue Three (and this is shallow and vain) The RD is just ugly. Solution, Sram X-O (used $70 Ebay)

These upgrades have improved the bike immensely. Better, more reliable shifting and better stopping. I really cannot foresee any need to upgrade anything else until they wear out (honest)

RR
Bents for La Tour
Rowley Runner

by BNA » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:48 pm

BNA

Re: Giro upgrade.

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Rowley Runner wrote:To be honest i am not one for upgrading parts until they wear out, however! I have done a fair few kms on my giro since buying it and found a few issues.

Issue One. When pulling off from traffic lights or in tight maneuvers in built up areas (like nipping to the shop to buy beer and cat food) I found myself changing gear unintentional due to the twist grips. Very uncool to lose the chain when you are between three lanes of traffic. I think this is due to the twist grip making up half the available Handel bar grip plus pressure exerted on the bars when pulling off or doing slow maneuvers. Solution x-9 trigger shifters (ebay $68)

Issue Two. Brakes not powerful enough. I am use to disks or V brakes. Solution Avid BB7 disks ($100)

Issue Three (and this is shallow and vain) The RD is just ugly. Solution, Sram X-O (used $70 Ebay)

These upgrades have improved the bike immensely. Better, more reliable shifting and better stopping. I really cannot foresee any need to upgrade anything else until they wear out (honest)

RR

I had a similar issue with my Ice Adventure FS HD, going around a corner and BANG shifters twist and in another gear :evil: Solution = Dura Ace 9 Bar End shifters with Shimano SLX M662 Shadow 9sp Rear Mech
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Go on with you RR,
You know you just couldn't help yourself! :mrgreen:

Jokes aside it sounds like a worthwhile set of upgrades.

John
John Lewis

Postby Rowley Runner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:02 am

Jokes aside it sounds like a worthwhile set of upgrades.

The X-O RD really was not necessary :D But i have never owned a bike with a top spec bits before. My MTB runs with X-7 bits and i am really surprised at the difference between that set up and the X-9/X-O set up on the bent. I not sure what the rear cluster spec is but it looks pretty flash. With the new RD it looks really sweet.

I have ran twist grips on heaps of MTBs without issue but on a bent they just dont work.

RR
Rowley Runner

Postby Phil » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Agreed on the twist shifts being meh on a bent. Done over 500kms on the CA2(and using it for commuting now rather than the trike cos its 7 mins quicker), just bit the bullet for some SRAM TT-500 shifters (was going to go with the triggers but not enough clearance for my legs) and some Pauls Thumbies. So damn cold in the mornings that I can't even feel my fingers.

Now just waiting for my orders to rock up.....
Phil

Giro upgrade.

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 pm

The SRAM X0 RD is just awesome.....I recently did a upgrade on my Musashi.....infinitely better and more precise shifting !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Riggsbie

Return to Recumbents