Saw my First M5

Recumbents and all feet forward machines

Saw my First M5

Postby John Lewis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Went for a run this morning in the Mango and found that the Cape Geographe Cycling Club were in town. Don't know how many but Id bet it was closer to 100 than 50.

Anyway I pull up and I'm hardly stopped when I hear a voice say that at least now there were two real bikes there. Looked round and saw a guy on an M5 Highracer.
Introduced himself and we had a bit of a chat. If I recall right his name was Tony. Very interesting fellow. He had ridden with Fast Freddy Markham on Tour ezy's as well as in Spain and the Netherlands just to mention a couple. Told me of his experience with a back to back tandem. His wife didn't like it much and he thought it was awkward.
Then I got to look the M5 over. Looked pretty neat and in carbon. I didn't ask the weight though. Very nicely put together I thought.
I'm pretty short so asked if he'd mind my sitting on it. I was able to reach the ground OK but not the pedals. Does mean however I'd be able to manage a highracer. Would have loved to give it a try.
One thing I noticed specifically was that he only had one chain ring. I wonder if that is the norm?
John
John Lewis

by BNA » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:34 pm

BNA

Re: Saw my First M5

Postby Roinik » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:34 pm

That's just karma for letting us check out your bents and mango.
:D
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik

Postby Poiter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 am

http://www.geographecycleclub.com.au/

Looks like a good place to retire to John.
Pretty flat around Busselton I guess so a single ring would work pretty well.

Nicest high racers in my opinion - better than the "stick bike" brigade.
Poiter

Postby John Lewis » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi Poit,
Yes I liked it and specially that I could fit. I tried another stick bike a while back and it was too tall for me.
As for Busselton. I had a house there near the beach but sold it and moved down here. Probably a bad mistake.

Hey Roinik,
You still in my neck of the woods?

Ian came to visit with his family so we had little helpers. He tried out the Mango but I don't know if he is a convert.

After that he tried all the others. You should have seen him on the delta with small son on knees as he pedaled and daughter sitting on the rack at back. I think they had fun.

His good lady didn't miss out either as she tried out the tadpole trike.
Only thing is I forgot to take any pictures so you'll have to take my word for it.
John
John Lewis

Postby Roinik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:30 am

John,

The kids had fun. I'm not sure I'm ready for the mango just yet. I'm definitely going to take the first step with the Cruzbike conversion to build up the legs. I'll also look at the WAW as an option as well due to the side steering. Temp could be an issue on climbs, however a small mod could fix that to add an air scoop for opening on slow speed ascents.

The young bloke enjoyed the delta trike because he could see.

Ian.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik

Postby Poiter » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:20 am

John Lewis wrote:Hi Poit,
Yes I liked it and specially that I could fit. I tried another stick bike a while back and it was too tall for me.
As for Busselton. I had a house there near the beach but sold it and moved down here. Probably a bad mistake.
John

Being able to touch the ground and being able to plant a foot solidy are two different things I reckon.
A VM would be great on those flat roads through the Tuart forests.
Poiter

Return to Recumbents